Weekend Bites

by Matt on August 25, 2006

Weekend_bites_2

Foiegrasgrid

Food Politics, no thank you: I’m choosing not to blog about my personal views of foie gras, it’s a tired food debate that I’ve become exhausted with. I mean really exhausted with. But I do have a serious question: can foie gras be made from the liver of the animal that has not undergone the process of gavage? No one is banning the sale of eating fowl, and liver is liver, is it not? Sure, perhaps it wouldn’t yield as much and we’d pay 12 times as much for it, but the question has been floating around my brain for some time.

Tiny_gray_bar_1_2_2_1_1_1_1_1

Early Fall:  May the Man upstairs strike me down for saying this, but I am actually ready for Summer to pack her bag of warmth and sunlight and make way for Lady Fall. I can’t wait for slightly cooler weather, the long yellow rays of autumn light, tours of apple orchards, and things like pumpkins, pears and roasted root vegetables.

Tiny_gray_bar_1_2_2_1_1_1_1_1

5 Days of Hay: Today concludes our 5th day of dinners crafted from the cookbooks of Donna Hay.  Of course I read her religiously and drool over Con Poulos’ photography work, but I must confess that for years I have actually never made a single one of her recipes. Consider this catching up.   The verdict? While not for the kitchen beginner, I’m adoring her ability to create tasty, relatively simple recipes featuring only a handful of fresh ingredients, dishes that aren’t mired down by a million how-to’s and procedures.

Donna Hay, I think I love you…

Tiny_gray_bar_1_2_2_1_1_1_1_1

Good Lord I REALLY need to go on a diet: Lara has posted a fantastic entry about the few days we spent together on the set of a holiday shoot last week. I was way more excited to meet her than I could have expressed, and I cannot wait for her to come back down so that I can interview her for mattbites. While she was here she captured some beautiful images, too, full of the simplicity and clarity that lets the food speak for itself. She is so extremely talented. You can read about our day here, but please, go easy on the short balding man with the belly. He’s really nice, I swear.

Jennifer August 25, 2006 at 9:03 am

I’ve never cooked from Donna Hay, either! Love the pictures, but have never tried a recipe.

The holiday shoot post was great. You looked like you were having a really good time.

Lisa August 25, 2006 at 2:00 pm

You are so right about autumn–the best season of the year in terms of color, foods, temperature and energy (maybe it’s because as kids we started a new school year in the fall, but I find the season much more about rebirth than spring). I can’t wait to throw my flip-flops in the back of the closet and start wearing cowboy boots again!

Bea at La Tartine Gourmande August 25, 2006 at 8:15 pm

Donna Hay, ah yes. I am in love with her work too. And her recipes, considering that I have all of her coobooks ;-), I better be!

And, of course, a big huge thank you, to you and Lara, for letting us get such a wonderful insight into your world. I personally felt as if I could have been there, like a fly on the wall to witness it! If only LA was closer to the East coast ;-) Thanks so much for the invite Matt. I would love to come, so much! Hopefully one day!

Nicola August 28, 2006 at 9:17 am

aaaah Donna Hay…have to mention that her fig bruschetta was one of my five foods to try before you die…beautiful complex layers of flavour…from simple ingredients…
ooohhh now i’m hungry…if you need me i’ll be in the fridge.
nicky

Harry August 28, 2006 at 3:59 pm

I’m so with you, Matt. Out here in the desert, it’s been so ungodly hot this summer that I’m looking forward to cooler weather. Just came upon your blog today. Great writing a fine photos.

melissa mcgee August 28, 2006 at 9:30 pm

matt, on the topic of foie gras, i’m reasonably certain that i had foie gras at a party in austin about a year or so ago, and i asked the hostess where she’d purchased it – she said whole foods. it was 100% goose liver and was made without the process of gavage (something that was boasted in clear terms on the label, she said) and it was delicious! not sure if they still carry it, but it’s worth looking into!