What a crock of guac…

Guac
5462486_aa4165f948_m_1

From today’s LA Times:

"The guacamole sold by Kraft Foods Inc., one of the bestselling avocado
dips in the nation, includes modified food starch, hefty amounts of
coconut and soybean oils, and a dose of food coloring. The dip contains
precious little avocado, but many customers mistake it for wholly
guacamole."

"On Wednesday, a Los Angeles woman sued the Northfield, Ill.-based food
company, alleging that it committed fraud by calling its dip
"guacamole." Her lawyer says suits against other purveyors of "fake
guacamole" could be filed soon."

Precious little avocado?

How about less than 2%?

Of course it’s all right there on the label, and if we remember that our eyes are connected to our brains we’d know that all we have to do is turn over the container to see that we’re eating a bucket of salted refrigerated slime.

However, it’s still freaky. And this is the reason why there is nothing better than slicing into a real, ripe, moist avocado and applying a little elbow grease yourself. And if none are available you wait. It’s that simple.

I fully expect  Lisa and Melissa to understand me on this one!

Less than 2%?????????

Comments

Why am I not surprised? That said, they should be forced to call it guacamole food product(a la cheese food product–what it calls its processed cheese that probably has only 2% dairy). Why would anyone buy guacamole? It’s one of the easiest things to make. Oh, I know…I bet this one can sit in the fridge for weeks without turning brown. Gross!

Ew, reading Lisa’s comment made me want to barf… I just discovered how easy it is to make guacamole like a month or two ago and I’ll never go back to … well, I never bought the fake stuff (usually just ate it in restaurants). But ewww… I am sufficiently grossed out. I totally agree with you… why anyone would buy that crap is beyond me

Wow. You’d think that there would be some sort of regulation on foods like that saying x amount of real avocado must be in this to be called guacamole. sheesh!

I guess guac doesn’t have a standard of identiy? When did American consumers start to favor convenience over flavor? So sad.

It’s the same corporate nerve that produces “Juice” drinks that have less than 5% juice in them. Of course with those you simply add vodka to make them delicious and useful. I’m not sure what to do that “guac.”

Trader Joes sells vac-packed guacamole/packaged pureed avocado that actually is comprised of avocados and actually has an expiration date, as well. It boasts it contains 5 avocados per package – which for $3.29 is a good deal.

It’s not bad, and can be used in a pinch if you have a sudden avocado hankering but have no avocados in house. But yes, splitting an avocado and remove the pit, scoring the flesh, and scooping out with the spoon – that only takes 40 seconds even when I’m drunk.

in my humble, guacamole lovin’ opinion, guacamole should be at least 90% avocado… at least. that’s if you like the tomatoes and onions and lemon juice and garlic on the heavy side. myself, i like those flavors to be heady without overwhelming the delicate creaminess of the avocado. when i make guacamole, its usually in batches using 5-6 avocados… and my love for avocados usually prevents at least one half of an avocado from making it into the bowl.

sprinkled with salt, spooned out of it’s skin, into my mouth.

soybean oil belongs nowhere near guacamole. travesty!

Urrrgghh. I never met a pre-mixed guacamole that I liked but this one sounds particularly heinous. It’s often hard to find properly ripe avocados in London and I miss the giant bags of creamy avos you could buy for next to nothing by the roadside in South Africa. But I’d rather go without than eat something masquerading as guacamole with only 2% avocado… It’s like buying Fanta as an orange juice substitute!

Scandalous, and Hershey’s chocolate is only 10 percent chocolate… sheeesh what is this world coming to? Nothing like the real thing. I could eat an avocado or two everyday and be happy.

10. Excelsior says

Dean Ornish has a recipe for fat-free “guacamole” made with frozen peas.

It is pretty awful.