Heading South. Really South.

by Matt on January 24, 2007

Jan_25

336582425_923ed46b98_o

In a few weeks we’ll be heading down south – way south – for about a month of rest, relaxation, wine and parrillas.

It’s time for Buenos Aires!

I’ve
been dancing around the house like a little kid lately. Buenos Aires is
one of our most favorite cities on the planet, filled with amazing
people, a vibrant restaurant scene, cool places to stay and more
grilled meat than you could ever hope to eat in one lifetime.

It’s
hip, it’s happening, and it will be my temporary home for just a little
bit. I’ll be blogging from South America, so check back for some
entries, some interviews and some pretty pictures that will most like
be taken under the influence of plenty of Malbec.

Regular postings may be kinda spotty over the next few weeks as I try to cram a bunch of work before our departure, but I’ll be around. Email me and say hello!’ And if you’re in Buenos Aires and have your favorite places I’m all ears!

Cheers!

elizabeth January 24, 2007 at 2:49 pm

no conozco BA, pero he oido que la gente más bella del mundo viven allá!

que tengas un buen viaje!

Anita January 24, 2007 at 3:12 pm

From my pal Kendra, who just got back from BA:
- Absolutely go to Tierra Santa, the religous theme park. It’s out of town but worth the effort
- San Telmo Antiques fair is just the best… I could live there
- Go over to Colonia for a night
- Go to the Evita Museum, and to Recoletta to see where she is buried (under Duarte not Peron)
- the Bellas Artes is amazing too
- cheap Malbec in BA is better than most good wine here
- alfajores! OMG — I could live on them

nika January 24, 2007 at 4:32 pm

have a beutiful time! Take lots a pictures :-)

L January 24, 2007 at 4:49 pm

I am so jealous! Wish I was going too! My favorite shoe store is in BA!

-L

Chicken Fried Gourmet January 24, 2007 at 5:23 pm

you lucky SOB, drink a bottle of Malbec for me or hell drink 12 :)

look forward to the BA posts and pictures

Kevin January 24, 2007 at 6:53 pm

About 4 people from our “gang” (maybe “gaggle is better) went there last year and they all are planning their return trips! They all fell in love there! We have our vacation plans this year so we’ll have to dealy B.A. for a bit. Take pictures and bring us back a…uhh..hmm…okay, bring us back a hot porteños!

Eric January 24, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Looking forward to some great pictures! I’m sure you can get used to eating dinner at 11:00 at night. I will be sleeping.

Brett January 24, 2007 at 11:54 pm

So cool! I’ve never been there. One of my old college roommates, a Parisian, moved there, got married, and never left (he even weathered the financial crisis). Clearly he loves it there. Have a fantastic trip and share lots of pictures!

Silverbrow January 25, 2007 at 2:28 am

It’s a fantastic place, I got back just before Christmas. Go to Sucre for their wine cellar alone, the food is very good as well.

Palermo Viejo is the hip area, great for wandering and mooching in. Bar 6 and Mark’s Deli are great places to chill-out.

It’s worth remembering this is a society that survives on meat, wine and ice-cream and all of them are fantastic. Of the ice-cream chains my preference is for Persecco. Freddo is ubiquitous but nowhere near as good.

Try and take a look at the Faena Universe and Hotel, it’s beautiful, as is the brand spanking new Dahau Palace Park Hyatt. Faena is something special though.

s'kat January 25, 2007 at 5:25 am

What an awesome trip! I can’t wait to see the pics.

s'kat January 25, 2007 at 5:25 am

What an awesome trip! I can’t wait to see the pics.

Melissa January 25, 2007 at 7:52 am

You lucky dog – sounds like heaven! Any room in your suitcase for a stowaway?

Lisa (Homesick Texan) January 25, 2007 at 8:20 am

I’ve never been, but I’m hoping to finally make it this year. Can’t WAIT to hear all your stories (and see your fantastic photos)! Bon voyage!

bea at La tartine gourmande January 25, 2007 at 12:39 pm

oh nice nice. I wish I could go with you! Patagonia is on our list, and as a matter of fact, if we had not gone to Peru, we would have done Chili and Argentina. I cannot wait to see your pics. And mainly, ENJOY!

melissa_cookingdiva January 25, 2007 at 5:17 pm

BsAs is one of my favorite cities too! I went on a 15-days wine tour last Oct, and it was fantastic. I have lots of tips, etc, etc of my trip…Have a great time!
M

anna maria January 25, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Have a blast! Look forward to your posts.

Rasa Malaysia January 25, 2007 at 9:30 pm

Wow, sounds like fun! I am green with envy…have never been to south America. Have fun, eat well, and happy blogging from BA.

sue January 26, 2007 at 5:40 am

That’s cool. I am so looking forward to seeing and reading your BA stories.
I am a huge fan of South American things. :)

Sil (Bs As) January 26, 2007 at 6:01 am

I looove that photo of our flag!!!
Ok:
dulce de leche icecream from “Volta”
havanna alfajores (try the nut flavour)
bife de chorizo in “Happening”, “La Cabrera”,” Cabaña Las Lilas” etc etc
I have a lots of etc!! so e mail me!!
We`ll be waiting for you guys!!

Shawnda January 26, 2007 at 7:31 am

OOooh, that sounds like a great vacation. Can’t wait to hear about BA!

David January 26, 2007 at 7:55 am

can’t wait to see the pics…especially the ones of you boys in your matching thongs!

Kevin January 26, 2007 at 9:35 am

CONGRATULATIONS on the Bloggie Award nomination! You ROCK (and you’ll have my vote too!)

Eugenia January 26, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Hey! I wanted to tell you that I`m argentinian, and yeah it`s a great country, so I hope you`ll have a great time here!
Pasala bien! chau!

Marce January 26, 2007 at 7:15 pm

Wow, so you are coming to Buenos Aires. I have tons of tips, just email me if you want to talk about specific things or give me clues as to what kind of things you want to do.
Some tips:
1. Ditto to what Sil said: Volta ice cream rocks (http://www.unaltravolta.com.ar)
2. I live in Palermo Viejo, which is a hip neighbourhood close to downtown BA with loads of great restaurants and cafes, design shops, etc.
3. You must go to Puerto Madero for dinner or lunch, they have top-of-the-line restaurants and you can take a lovely stroll by the river there as well.
4. For a more down-to-earth food experience. Try a “choripan” in one of the street stands in the area know as “la costanera”.

Ok, it´s getting long, so please, just email me and I´ll be glad to be of assistance :)

erin January 28, 2007 at 3:36 pm

I just went in Nov, so if you have questions, feel free to email. I would echo La Cabrera–fan-f’ing-tastic steak and waaaayyy cheap. Also, La Cupertina is a fab empanada place in Palermo–still dirt cheap, but with interesting fillings including a decadent sweet corn and cheese one.

Finally, let me also echo the love for Havanna alfajores–I brought multiple boxes back for gifts, but ended up hoarding many for myself :)

Charmaine January 29, 2007 at 7:58 am

I’m working on my email Matt, but I’m having huge issues with my site at the moment, so I will send it before too long!

marlie January 29, 2007 at 8:26 am

Have a wonderful time and keep me updated on great things…

Juno888 June 21, 2007 at 12:44 am

..i’m looking for this kind of site..!that will really content on what i really like..!
this is verry verry good..!