Happy Montevideo, Uruguay

by Matt on February 15, 2007

New_header_interstate_3
Matt_in_montevideo_1

I’m really trying NOT to be naive here people, so if you can shed light on my situation I’d greatly appreciate it.

We’ve been in Montevideo for 4 hours, and every single person we’ve come in contact with has been beautiful, smiling, polite, friendly and funny.

The cab driver? Delightful.

The bank teller? Giggly.

The hotel clerk? Uber-sweet.

The bartender? Charming.

The waitress? All smiles

The lady in passing at the ATM? So adorable.

I am going through great pains not to generalize, but there has not been one person here in Montevideo that hasn’t been gracious and warm. It’s like a dream, where everyone is happy and nice and oozes generosity (not to mention that the people here are so utterly attractive!)

What is it? A beautiful country? The old buildings? Something in the water?

Whatever it is, I’m glad we are here.

Montevideo, gracias!

Kevin February 15, 2007 at 5:46 pm

It’s quite obvious: they are all robots.

iamchanelle February 15, 2007 at 7:59 pm

you just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
BEAUTIFUL shot! oh, the colors!

have a GREAT vacation, for those of us who have no giggly people around. or robots.

anna maria February 15, 2007 at 8:31 pm

Wonderful photo of you!

David Schloss February 15, 2007 at 11:13 pm

It’s in the name. They’re all on VIDEO, of course they’re being nice. It’s for the cameras. Duh.

david February 16, 2007 at 12:34 am

And that, my friend, is why you went to Buenos Aires instead of visiting me in Paris.

kevin February 16, 2007 at 8:02 am

Be careful when you go to sleep at night. First check under the bed for a slimy green pod that’s waiting to sprout and clone you. I hope the Matt clone still continues his blog.

**It’s not that we are all bitter people who denounce joyful people , we are just jealous (and happy for you guys). :)

elarael February 16, 2007 at 11:23 am

Don’t let all these Cynical cynical people sour the sweetness of your trip! God, how lovely it sounds to be around happy friendly people! Enjoy !

nicola February 16, 2007 at 11:48 am

dear god matt what are you thinking i can see your arms! and your whole head…oh wait…you’re in the southern hemisphere…i’m in the depth of a canadian amnesia about short sleeves and exposed skin…please soak up the rays for those of us waaaaay up here. have a wonderful time.

Steve February 16, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Glad to hear that you boys are happy and safe down there! Enjoy your time and return safe!

Charmaine February 19, 2007 at 8:43 am

It’s because you’re not from Argentina! ;)

Freya February 19, 2007 at 12:16 pm

You must have forgotten to stop off in the Uk for the frosty, ambivelent reception :)

Juicy February 19, 2007 at 2:15 pm

Hey Matt! I’ve been reading up on your blog, your South American adventures sound and look awesome. Your blog makes me hungry all the time. This is bad, since I’m in shitty wintertime Chicago, and there’s really nothing good to eat that I can get to from here. I just went for a walk in the *amazing* 40 degree weather (wohoo!) to my local grocery store, Cermak Produce, only to be disappointed with my purchases back at home. Sigh. Can’t wait to hear more about América del Sur! Send a little luz del sol my way.

Muchos besos,

Jugosa

Juicy February 19, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Wow, I’m so confused, your thingy says that I’m Freya, but I’m not, I swear, I’m Juicy! I don’t know how that happened.

Juicy February 19, 2007 at 2:25 pm

Uch! This is why I never read blogs or try to do anything fancier than send a regular email.

g. February 20, 2007 at 3:32 am

It was a dream. Like the sky on the photo.
g.

The County Clerk February 21, 2007 at 9:05 am

You just AREN’T in LA.

Enjoy it.

Alejandro February 26, 2007 at 4:36 pm

Thanks matt for your comments about uruguay. It’s really something to read so nice things of its country. If you (or anyone) ever come back drop a mail and i’ll be thrilled to assist you in any way.

And what Steve says is not correct at all, we are siblings with Argentinians. We may be having some political differences but it’s just that.. it wont change centuries of common history.

Rodrigo July 14, 2009 at 11:05 pm

that’s just how we are I guess :-) I hope u enjoyed ur stay in my lovely country!!

Brenda February 15, 2011 at 1:50 am

Still on my list of places to visit. Thanks for the positive reinforcements. Have you returned since 2007?

Matt February 15, 2011 at 6:33 am

We have, yes. And it’s such a magical place. I can’t wait to go back, I think we’re heading to BA later this year.