weekend bites

Weekend_bites_3

• Books books books! This weekend is the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books on the campus of U.C.L.A. There’ll be a panel on Saturday at 10am called "Food Fight: When Did Eating Get Controversial?" with Marion Nestle, Michael Pollan, Barry Glassner and moderated by Russ Parsons. There will also be cooking demonstrations by chefs Govind Armstrong and Nancy Silverton, among others. For more info check out the website.

• I am the luckiest boy on earth: This month I get to brunch with Kevin and hang with Keiko as she returns to Los Angeles for a shoot. I’m also dining with someone very special next week and I also get the chance to chill and talk shop with the incomparable Lara when she heads down south. And who says Los Angeles doesn’t have culture?

• Super Fantastic:
I’ve slowly been working my way through Heidi’s book, Super Natural Cooking. I plan to fully blog about this in the next few weeks–as soon as I stop hyperventilating from the pure mindblowing beauty of this book. Heidi’s outdone herself and the book is simply gorgeous, not to mention delicious. My next tattoo? Heidi’s name across my arm.

• You know what’s cruel? When certain writers talk about charming fish boys at their local market and unshaven strapping cheese men and don’t bother to provide photographic evidence. That’s all I’m saying on this topic. Ahem.

Comments

I LOVE book festivals. How fun. A couple of years ago Caprial and John Pence (Portland celebrity chefs) did a great cooking demonstration/discussion at Wordstock, the Portland Festival of Books. It was my favorite part of the whole weekend. The panel discussion sounds fun. I hope you tell us all about it!

you are TOO lucky. i am such a huge fan of cook & eat. i actually go to her flickr photos just to relax sometime — maybe i’m secretly hoping her talents will somehow jump out of the screen and attack me will brilliance… this is not likely, but you’ll be the first one to know if something unusual goes down ;) the same goes for you! what a dazzling life you lead!

i too adore heidi’s work. she’s surely placed herself in an inspirational position in the food world. we need more natural cooking in the States. all these processed foods (maybe i have no room to speak here since i eat a lot of tofu… nonetheless..)are starting to really become pet peeves of mine – oddly enough. on the other hand, it’s quite possible i am simply trying to find ANY reason to go back to Europe and stay there.

Pictures?

Hoo-boy, do I have pictures.

Unfortunately, due to their nature, I think they may be too titillating for a G-rated (ok…maybe PG-13 rated) site such as mine. So I’ll be keeping them all to myself.

But I do plan to go back this Sunday, though. Any requests?

Does that fish market happen to be anywhere close to the Sevres-Babylon Metro station? I’ll be happy to share my photos, I’ll just make sure I Photoshop a certain Parisian out of any incriminating shots. I’m classy that way.

Yay! I can’t wait! In fact, with so many amazing bloggers beating me down there, perhaps I should just go hop on a plane and hang in LA for the next few weeks!!!

And, then, at the beginning of June, you need to get yourself out to Boston for the food styling and photo conference and you, Bea and I can dine in style!

Kevin: Unfortunately by 6:30, all the fishboys have stripped down, taken their showers, and headed home. However if your hotel is located nearby, I can certainly recommend that as a suitable alternative. I’ll suggest they bring their own towels, although I supposed I should warn you: French folks aren’t very modest!

Lucky boy, indeed. Speaking of photographic evidence (of the non-X rated sort) how about some pix of you and your fellow bloggers. Would be fun to see you all socialize, even if we can’t share.

Wouldn’t it be fun to have a food blogger convention and get to meet all the people whose blogs we read, admire, and comment on daily?

Please say howdy to Keiko from me! And tell her to pop up north and visit us in the Bay Area again. And, Matt, you do the same!

Is it just me, or is it getting warm in here? Fish boys and towels dropping, oh my!

I should tell you that I’ve already beat you to the Heidi tatoo.