Sunday and The Perfect Lunch

by Matt on June 24, 2007

Mattbites_perfect_lunch

Jamón serrano, an heirloom tomato, a yellow peach, some fresh mozzarella and a baguette. Oh, and a sprinkle of sea salt and a dash of vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.

There’s really not much more to say.

raquel June 24, 2007 at 2:49 pm

i’ve drooled all over the lappy…what a beautiful, tasty selection. it’s those kind of meals i miss most from the “homeland…” greece! :)

Mary June 24, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Perfection. It’s Sunday lunch, right, so maybe a glass of rosé?

The TriniGourmet June 24, 2007 at 5:24 pm

New to your blog, will definitely be back! :)

nika June 24, 2007 at 8:42 pm

yummm .. what a voluptuous tomato!

The Guilty Carnivore June 24, 2007 at 9:16 pm

You’re so lucky to be able to score a tomato like that June – up here in Portland we still have another 6 weeks or so.

Looking forward to that global warming!

g. June 24, 2007 at 10:08 pm

You’re right…
“There’s really not much more to say.”
Don’t talk and eat !
g.

Figs Olives Wine June 25, 2007 at 5:37 am

Oh heaven! I have season envy. I am now off to the farmer’s market to see if the tomatoes came while I was in Italy. I know it’s too much to hope for peaches!

melissa mcgee June 25, 2007 at 8:35 am

i just want to be left alone in a room behind a locked door with that heirloom tomato, that mozzarella, and that baguette.

and the sea salt.

i won’t be in there for long, but things could get messy.

Matt June 25, 2007 at 9:59 am

I too am waiting for my tomatoes to ripen. Thank God I have my fresh raspberries to hold me over until then!

Veronica June 25, 2007 at 8:54 pm

i was dreaming about this in class tonight. I cant wait to get out to the farmer’s market.

Lindsey Alyce June 26, 2007 at 9:08 am

Oh, goodness. That looks entirely wonderful.

Jennbecluv June 26, 2007 at 9:58 am

I’ve just discovered your blog and am green, nay, chartreuse with envy. It’s so very lovely and the pictures practically jump into my lap and beg to be stroked. I am heartbroken that I already have plans for July 15th – I would have trekked to NYC just to learn from you. Enjoy the teaching experience! Now, to go find the perfect peach…

Steve June 27, 2007 at 9:37 am

That crusty bread looks oh so good. Even though I’m enjoying a tasty Starfucks treat right now, I would eat that in a hot second. ;)

Linda June 27, 2007 at 10:07 am

ditto. nothing more to say at all.

Yvo June 27, 2007 at 11:42 am

To be fed like that every day… is my dream.

Jeanny July 1, 2007 at 3:48 am

Paradise on earth – I guess the Old Romans had this kind of heavenly lunch every day…

christine (myplateoryours) July 2, 2007 at 8:05 am

What a perfect, soulful lunch. Have to say, Matt, I am behind on my blog reading (well, I am behind on everything, that included) but I am grazing through your site this a.m. and your photos are really reaching out and grabbing me. Always lovely, but better than ever.

Maninas: Food Matters July 8, 2007 at 5:48 am

Perfect, if you ask me! I would have exactly (or so) the same at home: prsut (Croatian cousin of parma ham and jamon serrano), delicious home grown tomatoes with a pinch of salt, home-made cheese, and preferably home-made bread.

Another thing that goes amazingly well with prsut/parma ham/jamon is a simple sallad of cucumber, olive oil and red wine vinegar (some also add red onion, but i don’t). Delicious! The cooling flavour of the cucumber goes really well with the saltiness of prsut, and the red wine vinegar adds one sour note to complete the symphony! :) ahhhh home….