You Were Always On My Mind

by Matt on June 29, 2007

Austin

Lately I’ve been feeling nothing but love from my home state. Many of you have taken the time to come out of the shadows and say hello through emails, and when you do that it not only tickles me pink but connects me to my home state in ways you may not know. And then Texas Monthly shows up in the mailbox, news of best friends relocating from San Francisco to Austin trickles down, certain people remind me what I love most about home and before you know it I’m homesick and pining for an evening of two-steppin’, sitting on porches laughing about life and downing another margarita.

I even still wear boots on occasion, you know.

Cover_1
The delightful Lauren from Austin just wrote me to talk typefaces (seems we’re both art directors as well as food lovers) and mentioned to me that Austin now has this wonderful publication and I wanted to say how much it excites me. I’ve been gone from Austin so long but still remember all the quirky merchants, shops, farms and growers and it’s nice to see that they’re all still going strong. I’m definitely be sending in my subscription to Edible Austin so I can keep in touch with the food scene, and of course I’ll always rely on my friend Melissa who always has the funniest and poignant tales to tell about the Lone Star State. I miss you, girl!

melissa mcgee June 29, 2007 at 6:50 am

aww! well ain’t you the sweetest thang since my last batch’a cornbread? :)

here’s your quick rundown on the lonestar state: we’ve just elected captain nemo as our state governor and we are officially 20,000 leagues under the sea. it’s raining here and it won’t quit! you know how we do things in texas when it comes to food and weather: big. nothing in texas is half-way. when it’s hot here, lucifer himself would plan on moving to cooler climes, and when it rains here it rains so hard the animals start lining up two by two.

i read something funny yesterday that said that all this rain was a publicity stunt for the release of “evan almighty”.

stay dry, long-lost texan boy! and when you get back to austin, remember… it’s on!!!

nika June 29, 2007 at 7:10 am

Yikes, your homesickness will make me homesick too .. my mom and sis say its raining buckets to beat the band (For those of you not from TX, n SAT as in other parts of Tejas – most roads have high water markers .. to show you how deep the water is during the flood – those markers must be under water by now).

We here in MA have just come off a heatwave – two days with temps in the mid 90s.

I miss the old SAT of the 80s and thats gone forever. So my homesickness will never stop.

g. June 29, 2007 at 7:27 am

What a cute smile !
g.

Lisa (Homesick Texan) June 29, 2007 at 7:56 am

I hear you my fellow Homesick Texan! I’ve got boots on my feet and the latest issue of Texas Monthly in my bag. And thanks for the heads up on Edible Austin–can’t wait to check it out!

Jim Hunter June 29, 2007 at 9:36 am

Well gee Matt, thanks a lot for making still one more displaced Texan even more homesick. At least the food here in New Mexico ain’t all that bad. I do have a fondness for green chili now but damn I miss jalapanos and I still haven’t found a place to get a decent plate of nachos here. New Mexico’s idea of nachos is a few tortilla chips on a plate with some refried beans and cheese on top. Geeze!!!!!

david June 29, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Well, you could have come visited me…twice! Once on your ol’ home turf, and once on mine, my friend…

guy from Texas June 30, 2007 at 5:00 pm

all it takes is a moving truck and a strong will. we’ll meet you there.

Kimbo June 30, 2007 at 5:17 pm

Come on back. Austin has changed SO MUCH in the last ten years… It’s still Austin, but I’m calling it Austangeles. Let us know when/if you’re in town!

Kim