Clams & Chorizo. I love Chorizo.

Clamschorizo

As thoughts turn to the grand finale of summer you’d be perfectly within your right to be confused. Record heat across the country makes it feel as if we’re smack dab in the middle of summer and far be it for me to complain about beautiful hot weather. However, after this weekend of beer and barbecue I think I’ll be ready for a slight change of pace. My summer started very early and months later I’m looking forward to some autumn things trickling into the market. Add to that a winter photo shoot on Wednesday with the amazing William Smith (my first time shooting with him! YES!) and you can see why I am all sorts of restless.

Something tells me turkeys, pumpkin pies and yule logs in 104° weather is a sin.

Anyway, I wanted to jump start my fall by making a dish that normally means hearty autumn. Well, as much as it can without involving the actual foods of autumn — pears, pumpkins and squash, I’m coming for you! It’s a basic dish of clams with chorizo and it’s a perfect weeknight dinner that instantly takes me back to Spain. I wonder if it’s 104° there right now.

Sigh.

Steamed Clams in Wine with Chorizo From Epicurious

You may notice we used mussels in the photo. Adam was insistent on mussels for some reason. Me? I’ll eat whatever.  And like I need to say this but you’ll want to make sure you have extra bread to sop sop sop all the goodness up.

Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 lb littleneck clams (2 inches wide), scrubbed
1/4 lb dried Spanish chorizo (spicy cured pork sausage) links, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro

Method
Cook onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, and salt in oil in a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in wine and bring to a boil.

Add clams and chorizo, then boil, covered, until clams open, 7 to 8 minutes. (Discard any clams that are not open after 9 minutes.) Season with pepper and stir in cilantro.

Makes 2 servings.

Comments

first of all, I need you to come and take pictures of my food…..but you’d have to fight us to get to it first. That’s why I don’t always have pictures…I’m too hungry to take them.

secondly, this looks amazing!!!! and sounds just as easy. what do you serve with it, just bread or do you do angel hair or something like that? it’s 9:10 a.m. and I’m starving now…thanks….I appreciate it.

Clams! I’m so excited to try this out, I’ve been wanting to make clams, but not getting excited about any recipes; of course chorizo will make anything taste better, right?

Oh wow…that first clam photo is gorgeous! I have a confession though, I’ve never had clams OR chorizo (gasp!)…but this still looks awesome.

My stetson is off to you. Your photography makes mine look like it was done by dyslexic chipmunks on illicit chemicals.

I want clams soooo badly right now I can’t stand it… And I don’t particularly care for clams! (muscles, scallops and oysters, YES! But not clams)

Mmmm. Just plain goodness. I too had a big BBQ weekend. Maybe this is just the cure for my food needs. Thanks for sharing Matt.

R.

That is a seriously delish looking dish…but also such a beautiful photo! If my eyes aren’t mistaken, I’d say that was taken using *gasp* actual film! :D

I really can’t tell that those are mussels, they looks like clams to me! Maybe I need a lesson or two in bivalves, but either way, they look good…

I want them !!
    The harder is to find very GOOD chorizo … So spicy and not so soft …
    A good idea to cut the chorizo in little peaces, just like Joel Robuchon do in his atelier, who serves it with fish.

This summer in Western Europe is rubbish. I was just in Barcelona high 60s. could have been 70s this time of year..and summer in Amsterdam is just non-existant this year..just rain and gray skies :( Looks amazing your creation!

I have a small confession…I don’t really get chorizo. Perhaps I’ve never had a really good one that stands out, but what I have had always seems, well, a bit bland and boring, ah, but clams, they are really something special. Great shot of your dish.

I wouldn’t have thought of clams and chorizo together, but it is going to be a headliner at our next Wednesday tapas night! Beautiful, mouthwatering photos!

Never have a I heard of such an ingenious combination! I love both equally but have never tried them together!! Can’t wait to try it. Would love to know some tips and tricks for food blogging as I’m recently just started mine. BTW.. are you Filipino?