Clams & Chorizo. I love Chorizo.

by Matt on August 31, 2007

Clamschorizo

As thoughts turn to the grand finale of summer you’d be perfectly within your right to be confused. Record heat across the country makes it feel as if we’re smack dab in the middle of summer and far be it for me to complain about beautiful hot weather. However, after this weekend of beer and barbecue I think I’ll be ready for a slight change of pace. My summer started very early and months later I’m looking forward to some autumn things trickling into the market. Add to that a winter photo shoot on Wednesday with the amazing William Smith (my first time shooting with him! YES!) and you can see why I am all sorts of restless.

Something tells me turkeys, pumpkin pies and yule logs in 104° weather is a sin.

Anyway, I wanted to jump start my fall by making a dish that normally means hearty autumn. Well, as much as it can without involving the actual foods of autumn — pears, pumpkins and squash, I’m coming for you! It’s a basic dish of clams with chorizo and it’s a perfect weeknight dinner that instantly takes me back to Spain. I wonder if it’s 104° there right now.

Sigh.

Steamed Clams in Wine with Chorizo From Epicurious

You may notice we used mussels in the photo. Adam was insistent on mussels for some reason. Me? I’ll eat whatever.  And like I need to say this but you’ll want to make sure you have extra bread to sop sop sop all the goodness up.

Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 lb littleneck clams (2 inches wide), scrubbed
1/4 lb dried Spanish chorizo (spicy cured pork sausage) links, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro

Method
Cook onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, and salt in oil in a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in wine and bring to a boil.

Add clams and chorizo, then boil, covered, until clams open, 7 to 8 minutes. (Discard any clams that are not open after 9 minutes.) Season with pepper and stir in cilantro.

Makes 2 servings.

Nicisme August 31, 2007 at 8:31 am

Your photos are really beautiful. This looks lovely.

West August 31, 2007 at 9:11 am

first of all, I need you to come and take pictures of my food…..but you’d have to fight us to get to it first. That’s why I don’t always have pictures…I’m too hungry to take them.

secondly, this looks amazing!!!! and sounds just as easy. what do you serve with it, just bread or do you do angel hair or something like that? it’s 9:10 a.m. and I’m starving now…thanks….I appreciate it.

Mary August 31, 2007 at 10:21 am

Clams! I’m so excited to try this out, I’ve been wanting to make clams, but not getting excited about any recipes; of course chorizo will make anything taste better, right?

Hillary August 31, 2007 at 10:28 am

Oh wow…that first clam photo is gorgeous! I have a confession though, I’ve never had clams OR chorizo (gasp!)…but this still looks awesome.

Jerry August 31, 2007 at 2:28 pm

My stetson is off to you. Your photography makes mine look like it was done by dyslexic chipmunks on illicit chemicals.

I want clams soooo badly right now I can’t stand it… And I don’t particularly care for clams! (muscles, scallops and oysters, YES! But not clams)

Stephen August 31, 2007 at 3:51 pm

I love clams and chorizo. I make manila with chorizo and dry vermouth. Very tasty.

Robert August 31, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Mmmm. Just plain goodness. I too had a big BBQ weekend. Maybe this is just the cure for my food needs. Thanks for sharing Matt.

R.

Ellie August 31, 2007 at 7:20 pm

That is a seriously delish looking dish…but also such a beautiful photo! If my eyes aren’t mistaken, I’d say that was taken using *gasp* actual film! :D

Rasa Malaysia August 31, 2007 at 11:08 pm

I love clams…haven’t tried this recipe before. Nice dish and great with beer or wine.

Joanna September 2, 2007 at 2:03 pm

I really can’t tell that those are mussels, they looks like clams to me! Maybe I need a lesson or two in bivalves, but either way, they look good…

sam September 3, 2007 at 11:50 am

Matt, Matt, Matty, Matt. Your photos make me sigh. So beautiful. Still.

Rosemary September 3, 2007 at 3:51 pm

I want them !!
The harder is to find very GOOD chorizo … So spicy and not so soft …
A good idea to cut the chorizo in little peaces, just like Joel Robuchon do in his atelier, who serves it with fish.

kel September 5, 2007 at 12:12 am

This summer in Western Europe is rubbish. I was just in Barcelona high 60s. could have been 70s this time of year..and summer in Amsterdam is just non-existant this year..just rain and gray skies :( Looks amazing your creation!

Lisa Campbell September 5, 2007 at 5:13 am

“Hobo seis cosas/en la boda de Anton:/cerdo y cochino/puerco y marrano/guarro y lechon.”

Yay chorizo!

Austin September 5, 2007 at 7:08 am

Agree with Johanna: the title says clams and the pic shows clams, but you say mussels…? Slightly confused.

Steamy Kitchen September 5, 2007 at 9:11 am

Making this tomorrow night for supper!

High five Adam…I’m going to use mussels too!

xoxo
steamy

Bliss September 6, 2007 at 11:12 am

I wonder if Mexican chorizo would work with this recipe?

Cate O'Malley September 6, 2007 at 3:45 pm

Gorgeous picture! We had Roasted Clams and Garlicky Mussels last week – who cares about the weather when the food feels r.i.g.h.t?

Cate O'Malley September 6, 2007 at 3:45 pm

neil September 6, 2007 at 4:56 pm

I have a small confession…I don’t really get chorizo. Perhaps I’ve never had a really good one that stands out, but what I have had always seems, well, a bit bland and boring, ah, but clams, they are really something special. Great shot of your dish.

Linda, The Village Vegetable September 7, 2007 at 6:46 am

Tried this the Tuesday with mussels and additional veggie broth & wine to replace the meat. We devoured it. I guess it ruins the whole bit, not using the chorizo, nonetheless I really loved it! thanks matt.

olivier Blanchard September 7, 2007 at 7:41 pm

Clams & chorizo? I’m trying this sometime next week. Wow. I’m drooling right now.

Deborah Dowd September 9, 2007 at 4:33 am

I wouldn’t have thought of clams and chorizo together, but it is going to be a headliner at our next Wednesday tapas night! Beautiful, mouthwatering photos!

Michelle September 9, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Never have a I heard of such an ingenious combination! I love both equally but have never tried them together!! Can’t wait to try it. Would love to know some tips and tricks for food blogging as I’m recently just started mine. BTW.. are you Filipino?

lory September 11, 2007 at 1:49 am