Saveurpétit. Bon Asaveur.

by Matt on October 31, 2007

Somewhere, in fancy offices from Los Angeles to New York, there are two art directors scratching their heads simultaneously.

Hey, it happens. I get it. But wow. Just wow.

Covers

casey October 31, 2007 at 8:53 am

And neither cover looks particularly interesting or appetizing to me.

ben October 31, 2007 at 8:59 am

the brown stuff on the turkey on the left looks like sludge..

Jen October 31, 2007 at 9:02 am

Wasn’t it wonderful when Saveur made a point of NOT putting a turkey on the cover of their Thanksgiving issue?

Sigh.

Mason Jeffries October 31, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Actually, check out the cover of the new Martha Stewart Food issue for the triple whammy.

Robert October 31, 2007 at 1:00 pm

I have to say I agree — neither looks very yummy. Being food mags the subject matter is only so debatable. Although composition could be more unexpected.

kitchenbeard October 31, 2007 at 1:09 pm

Oh dear…. perhaps I should apply for a job at one of those places because you know heads are gonna roll.

Anita October 31, 2007 at 2:03 pm

When I used to work at a (non-food) magazine, this happened with our big competitor all the time. it’s spooky :D

Steve October 31, 2007 at 2:45 pm

that happened to us once with two ALBUMS. we both release albums with the same stock photo being used on the cover.

not good.

mary October 31, 2007 at 3:43 pm

Wow. I like the Saveur one better, their photography lately has been pleasantly sparse.

jessica October 31, 2007 at 5:58 pm

i am so over this angle. over it.

Tana November 1, 2007 at 9:26 am

At least Saveur has some green beans on the plate. Bon Appétit? Sage? Hellllloooooooo? You can roll that into a doobie for after dinner, but don’t eat it. (However, Saveur’s gravy looks like, well, let’s not go there. Unappetizing, oui.)

David November 1, 2007 at 10:44 am

I’m sorry, but it’s just not Thanksgiving without marshmallows in there…somewhere.

Chicken Fried Gourmet November 1, 2007 at 4:48 pm

I would have to say that lately I am more impressed with BA than F&W but overall F&W gives me more ideas.

Pop Muse November 1, 2007 at 9:57 pm

Bon wins IMHO.

Pop Muse November 1, 2007 at 9:57 pm

Bon wins IMHO.

Rosemary November 2, 2007 at 12:26 pm

we have SAVEURS (with a S) in France, and in french … I am very addict to it: les recettes sont terribles ! I never heard of Bon appétit ?

The Guilty Carnivore November 2, 2007 at 1:56 pm

I’m not sure what the bellyaching is about. I’d eat both of those, and they don’t look at all similar to me.

Last I checked, Thanksgiving happens every year and features a lot of food. Much of the food each year is very similar the year before it. I’ll report back in early December if this year is different.

matt November 2, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Guilty, I can’t speak for the others who have left comments, but I was referring to:

- Left hand light source with slight fill from the right side on both covers

- Napkins folded and placed on right side of plate on both covers

- Overhead photography with plate filling about 75% of frame on both covers

–White plate and white surface on both covers

-Same turkey slices and gravy on both covers

I could probably go on. But on second thought, you’re right. They’re not similar at all. My bad!

Hillary November 2, 2007 at 3:19 pm

Haha that is funny. But I don’t think it’s thattt strange considering Thanksgiving is just around the corner!

Anna November 3, 2007 at 4:43 am

Whoops! Now, is that coincidental or not?

Terrie November 3, 2007 at 7:22 pm

Ahhh, ’tis the season.

kristina November 4, 2007 at 11:15 am

Well… I wouldn’t have seen all that technical stuff, but I have been a subscriber to 18 magazines simultaneously at one point in my life, the majority of them food magazines, and usually the Thanksgiving/Christmas issues feature like whole turkeys. I’ve quit all the U.S. food publications (except Saveur, and Martha for the love to hate her, sorry for dissing your friend Matt) in favor of Australian publications, so I have no idea what Thanksgiving looks like lately…

But these do look kinda similar.

If both had chosen a clove-studded ham that would have probably been funnier.

claudia November 10, 2007 at 4:44 am

like two actresses wearing the same dress to an award show…