Wait wait wait don’t touch it!

by Matt on November 4, 2007

Instructions

Things I am thankful for:

1. The wonderful people I’ve met over the past month. I am thanking the heavens for introducing us.
2. The people who have taken chances and hired me. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I’d ever get these kinds of assignments (much more on that later!)
3. Minus the 12 (or is it 22?) extra pounds hanging around my midsection, I am thankful for my health. Knock on wood here.
4. Finally meeting the amazing Bea when I spoke at a seminar last weekend.
4. Our new oven.

So yea, a new oven (and don’t think I didn’t pick up on that correlation between tight pants and new oven because I totally did.)  A brand spanking gorgeous piece of convection equipment that has made life so much easier. Granted, I’ve not been allowed to touch it or use it (Adam’s rules, not mine) but I am the direct beneficiary of evenly-cooked, dual oven food preparation. And really, you think I’m complaining? Chickens seem to cook more evenly, roasting vegetables takes almost no time, and baking cakes and cookies seem like a snap. I say "seem" because I’m not the baker but this is what Adam tells me. Perhaps one day when he’s out working I’ll sneak into the kitchen and press all the buttons and have my own I Love Lucy moment.

Oh Adammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Whine whine whine. Ok, "Ricky" does sound better, but I’m not married to a Ricky. There you have it.

Among the many things he’s tested over the past 2 weeks are these delightful little pumpkin cookies. You may know that my sweet tooth isn’t particularly well developed and I’d rather sit down to a plate of cheese and olives or a hunk of duck rillette with a glass of wine than sugary, sweet things. Salty and savory for me, baby! But I’m digging these little cake-like cookies because oh how I love a soft cookie and they taste like little tiny muffins in my mouth. And that makes me very happy, even if I can’t go near the oven.

Pumpkincookiesalternate

Chocolate Glazed Pumpkin Cookies
from Everyday Food by my pal Martha (yes, she is my friend, she just hasn’t met me yet)

You may notice our version uses white rather than dark chocolate, and that’s because I thought it would look prettier. I’m an Art Director, remember? And by golly look at those little things with white lines. How cute is that? Besides, this cookie really isn’t about the chocolate but the pumpkiny flavor which is perfect for the holidays.

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, rom temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 can (15 ounces) pure pumpkin purée
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped

method

1. Preheat the oven to 375˚. In a medium bowl, whisk together flower, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin-pie spice, and salt; set aside.

2. Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat until smooth. With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour mixture in two parts and pumpkin purée in one, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined (do not overmix).

3. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto two baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until puffed and edges are golden, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating sheets once during baking. Immediately transfer cookies to wire racks, and cool completely.

4. When cookies have cooled, set them (still on rack) over a baking sheet or waxed paper. Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water; stir until almost melted. Remove from heat; stir until completely melted. Pour chocolate into a resealable bag. Snip off a corner with scissors or a knife to make a 1/8-inch hole; pipe chocolate over cookies. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm, 20 minutes. Store cookies in layers divided by parchment paper in an airtight container up to three days.

VeggieGirl November 4, 2007 at 7:33 am

lovely list of things your thankful for; and the cookies look great as well!!

VeggieGirl November 4, 2007 at 7:34 am

oops, I meant to say “you’re” not “your” ;0)

mary November 4, 2007 at 10:15 am

I’m the salty sort as well, I’d rather eat more bread or potatoes or drink more wine with my dinner – I’d save these for breakfast, they’d go really well I think with my daily latte. Good luck with the new oven.

Erin November 4, 2007 at 10:20 am

There are few things more exciting than a new shiny major appliance.
The cookies look fantastic. Pumpkin cookies are certainly a weakness of mine.

dynagrrl November 4, 2007 at 2:06 pm

I can’t believe you made these cookies!!! They are on my Thanksgiving day menu after reading about them in Everyday Food! The white chocolate looks great, I agree. :)

Christina November 4, 2007 at 3:19 pm

First time visitor to your site and I am teased to try out these precious cookies. They look so small — almost so I can put one in each side of the mouth, like a hamster.

Pretty.

Diane November 4, 2007 at 4:14 pm

What kind is it? I’m in the market for a new oven in the next year (mine is well-loved but feeble). Would love to get recs from people I trust…

Rosa November 4, 2007 at 4:48 pm

Those cookies look amazing! Pumpkin based baked goods are heavenly!

Cheers,

Rosa

Rosa November 4, 2007 at 4:48 pm

Those cookies look amazing! Pumpkin based baked goods are heavenly!

Cheers,

Rosa

Manggy November 4, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Those look amazing! Actually (and please don’t kill me), I’m a little skeptical over any of Martha’s recipes. I don’t know! Just a lot of bad reviews (though her styling– and yours– is always impeccable). But I guess your version went over very well!

melissa mcgee November 5, 2007 at 4:56 pm

alright, damn it. i have to make these. unlike you, my sweet tooth is fully evolved. one look at these beauties and i could hear my tastebuds screaming.

or maybe the screaming is coming from the button on my pants. i don’t know.

Rachael November 5, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Why is it that pumpkin cookies are always more like mini cakes? The starch I suppose…either which way, I love the look of these! White chocolate was the right choice by me!

cathy November 5, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Amazing post…love the pictures, very enticing

Katia November 6, 2007 at 5:41 am

I would love to know what type of oven you have. I almost had a total breakdown this weekend after burning a cake and I am begining to loathe mine, a Wolf. Anyhow, I am so glad to have found your blog not too long ago, you really make me smile. The cookies look delightful- and a big fan of sweet pumpkin I’m not, but they certainly look good enough to tempt me. Now I’m off to think of all the things I’m thankful for! :)

Bea November 6, 2007 at 10:31 am

Was sweet to finally meet you and Adam, Matt, and hopefully next time, for a longer period of time! Bring some of these cookies too ;-)

Cheese and Choux November 6, 2007 at 11:33 am

Ooooh! I’ve decided that I make the exact same sounds looking at cookie pictures, as jewelry. These are perfect PERFECT for Thanksgiving, but forget saving them for a day. I’m making them as soon as possible. It must make the room smell heavenly!

Nancy G. November 6, 2007 at 2:01 pm

Pumpkiny? What a great word!

casey November 6, 2007 at 9:00 pm

Great post. I’m hoping to have new Viking ovens (one conventional; one convection) right after the first of the year. But those cookies look to good to let wait. My old oven will have to do.

Jackie November 7, 2007 at 9:31 pm

your site is incredible. and those cookies look incredible, too. mmmm mmm, thanks for the inspiration!

SundanceBaker September 17, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Just found your site after reading Martha’s blog. Very Well done.
I agree, the white chocolate does look better than the dark would have.
Beautiful photography!