Mess with the pie, you’ll get the…Oh just give me a damn fork.

2057825325_21a794310e_2

FOLKS: PLEASE READ THIS! You need to CHILL THIS AFTER BAKING. Chill chill chill chill chill.

CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILLCHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL CHILL

It started simply enough: the other half felt the need to bake. For me, well, I’m no baker and the urge to do so is akin to washing my car or preparing receipts for tax purposes. I’ll do it but only begrudgingly. But like many things I’m fully prepared to participate in the end result, and in this case it was a pie of monstrous proportions.

I’m not quite sure of his thought process as I wasn’t in the kitchen when he found the recipe, but I know it involved tons of pecans, a spring form pan and the new oven. I was a bit relieved that I wasn’t around as anyone knows to mess with a Texan’s Pecan Pie is clearly not the smartest thing to do (even if said Texan lives in California.)  It’s not quite sacrilege — but it’s pretty damn close.

Melissa, Lisa, please stop reading now. I won’t be upset.

I understand.

“So this pie I’m baking, I found a recipe online and I’m not sure how it’s going to come out,” my big red-headed angel tells me.

“You’re a baker, I’m sure it’ll be just fine,” I respond.

“I don’t know about that, it’s kind of a different sort of Pecan Pie.”

Different sort of pecan pie. Different sort of pecan pie. DIFFERENT SORT OF PECAN PIE. DIFFERENT SORT OF PECAN PIE! Are you getting that, folks? As those words floated around the kitchen they took their sweet little time worming their way into my brain. A what type of what pie? Did I really hear you correctly? Would you like to grab an enchilada while you’re at it and poke me in the eye? How about hitting me over the head with a rib bone from Tyler, Texas? Come on, I’m all yours, just do it! You already started.

I calmed myself down and told myself he was only coming from a place of love, and honestly, he’s never made a bad thing, especially when he bakes. I said a prayer to the giant pecan trees that towered over our house in Austin, asking for forgiveness. I then went online to see if I could legally participate in this kitchen experiment without serving 5-7 for crimes committed against my home state (turns out George W. did enough of that himself so luckily I was off the hook).

After I finished my breathing exercises I began to think about the pecan pie and most importantly why was I such a snob about them? After all, it’s only crust, nuts, and filling. That’s all. And if we break it down sometimes it’s so cloyingly sweet (especially when someone serves you up a slice with Texas tea) that there’s really no flavor and you get a gummy, gelatinous mouthfeel with a feeble crunch. I then understood why people passed on Pecan Pies and when to Apple or Pumpkin. Why was I getting all pedantic and territorial and hella defensive?

BECAUSE I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN TEXAS, Y’ALL! THAT’S WHY!

But no matter. I was going to approach this with an open mind. Out with anger and in with love, I always say. Obviously someone created this recipe to taste good, not bad. So after this giant thing (because really, I didn’t know what to call it) came out of the oven and set overnight Adam took out the electric knife and began to carve.

A beautiful, almost cookie-like crust began to open up and reveal a pie not mired in goo but with a beautiful ratio of whole pecans to filling. No chintzy pie here but a real, delicious hunk that would make any Texan proud. The recipe retained the true spirit of the pecan pie while giving it extra oooomph. Made properly a pecan pie may not need it, but in this case it sure was nice. I didn’t even need ice cream, and that’s saying a lot!

After spending a good 43 minutes eating and chewing one piece I realized that this Deep Dish Pecan Pie was not in fact Texan heresy but a way of changing things up just a bit while making sure the new oven works. I’ve since learned to relax with his experiments, enjoy the delicious outcomes, and brace myself for the Chicken Fried Steak Frittata that I’m secretly hoping he invents.

Bigpie

Deep-Dish Pecan Pie,
Oxmoor House, January 2000

Because of its size you’ll really want to chill this before slicing, and don’t do what I did and serve yourself a giant piece. A little goes a long way — a lesson I still haven’t quite picked up after 37 years.

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 (16-ounce) bottle light corn syrup (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups pecan pieces or halves

Beat 1 cup butter and cream cheese at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add flour and 1/4 cup sugar, beating well. Shape dough into a flat disc; cover and chill 15 minutes. Roll chilled dough to a 13″ circle; carefully transfer to an ungreased 9″ springform pan. (We recommend covering the outside of your springform pan with aluminum foil before filling and baking this pie. It’s a safeguard against leaks.) Press dough up sides of pan. Cover and chill.

Combine corn syrup, brown sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl; stir well with a wire whisk. Add eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and salt; stir well. Stir in pecans. Pour filling into unbaked pastry-lined pan.

Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300°: bake 2 hours and 15 minutes, shielding pie with aluminum foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill, if desired. Remove sides of springform pan to serve.

Yield:  1 (9″) pie

Comments

1. tulip says

ooooh! You enumerated exactly why I don’t like pecan pie (gummy gelatinous mouthfeel), which is also sacrilege here in Georgia. This looks like something I would try. Yum. I’m already shunned for putting sugar on my grits. I need a pecan pie reprieve!

Matt ~ This pie puts my pear crisp (pecan base) to shame. *hangs head low*
    The pie crust is especially clean and exquisitely formed. I have never used cream cheese in a crust before, but I suppose it is what makes the crust so smooth. A gorgeous pie.
    P.S. The photo of you in the fake snow is super cute. How come Adam didn’t participate with a scarf and mittens?

Wow – that looks absolutely fab!

Pecan pie is hard to come by over on this side of the pond, but both my dad and I have very fond memories of pecan pies from holidays in the US almost 30 years ago now.

I’m going to give this a try and see if I can make an old man very happy! Any ideas what I could use instead of corn syrup – which I don’t think I’m going to be able to find here very easily?

Ha, I looked at that photo and thought “oh no he didn’t.” But seriously, it looks amazing, and really it’s just sort of an enlarged pecan pie, and don’t you know Texans supersize everything anyway?

btw- to the person who asked about a corn syrup sub, Lyle’s golden syrup works well.

I’ll make the chicken fried steak frittata….it’ll work well at the wampus.

It’ll have to happen soon, though…..so I won’t forget.

You’ll know when I know

6. Ann says

I plan to have pecan pie in pergatory after I die so I don’t have to count the carbs and take a shot of insulin. Definitely one of the best tastes in the world.

7. Karen says

I made the most horrible pecan pie that ever graced this glorious earth the other day. It was such a simple recipe I don’t know how I blew it!!!! But the consistancy of the filling really was terrible. It wasn’t that wonderful gelatinish filling it was liquidy and nutty. I used measuring cups and followed the recipe but maybe I needed to make the smaller, I don’t know but I was quite embaressed. It is my husband favorite pie and my daughter bought him one from TX ($40) and it was incredible. Loving wife that I am, I thought I could duplicate it, HA!!! What a joke on me they all spent most of the day laughing at me. Help if you can.
    K

first of all, there ain’t nothing wrong with that pie…i might steal that idea and do a pie or tart in a springform pan, i kinda like the deep-dish action. second of all, i too am from austin so i can say, what the heck are you doing in california? i’m sure texas misses you, but you probably miss it more. and lastly, just found your blog and glad that i did, will keep reading, courtney @ http://thedoughball.blogspot.com/

With Canadian Thanksgiving coming up I was planning on making a pecan pie and remembered this absolute BEAST – A thing of beauty!

10. askava says

I made this great deep dish, but why following the directions step by step and did not miss one, why did the center not solidify or become more firm?
    Otherwise, it tasted great and a picture perfect dessert.
    ???? Thanks

11. Midnite Baker says

Found a catalog with Praline Pecan Pie using 4 cups pecans & made in a springform pan. They wanted $44.00 for it and that didn’t include shipping. So, to Google I go and found this!! Theirs is wimpy compared to this one. Guess what I’m having for Thanksgiving Day dessert? Thanks so much for sharing. M

12. Kathy says

Instead of corn syrup use Maple syrup! It even cuts down on the calories…but who’s counting anyway? Awesome looking pie! Thanks!

13. EJ says

Just like the post from Askava a year ago I followed the instructions exactly and the pie looked the same as the picture until I cut into it and the center was a gooey mess that I was unsure if it was safe to eat considering the number of eggs in the recipe….something is wrong with the ingredient list or the baking temperature. I also think the picture may be a pie smaller than the 9 inch recommended springform pan. Would love to have some feedback…thanks

14. michael says

I, too, made this pie for a thanksgiving treat and was an awe when i stumbled upon this site with the great pics. Like others who have attempted this pie, i found the inside a liquid, running gue when sliced inside thie delicate pie. I realized it must be cooled over night in the fridge for the inside ingredients to gel together into a more solid consitiency.

15. Midnite Baker says

To everyone who baked this pie and the center didn’t solidify. You must treat this pecan pie like a cheesecake. CHILL it!! This solidifies the center.
    If you make a regular sized pecan pie, it is best to chill it so the center, yes, solidifies too. Good luck on the next one. Happy Baking!!

16. Dawn says

OMG, I’m so glad I read the comments! Because when I took this beautiful pie out of the oven it was still liquid in the middle an I was horrified! Into the fridge it goes overnight. Just hope I can keep everyone out of it till then. Thank you Thank you Thank you! for the comments

17. Dawn says

Obviously something wrong with recipe, followed it precisely and it’s just a liquid mess. Very disappointed.

18. Dawn says

Yep, chilled it overnight for about 15 hours. Don’t get me wrong, the man is eating it and he says it tastes great. I’ve made pecan pies before and my cheesecake is always requested so I figured putting the two together would be great. I will be trying it again in the future…….Fingers crossed. Thank you for replying and I will let you know how it turns out. :)

19. Allyson says

I made this for Thanksgiving and it is now the only pecan pie I will ever make. Most of my family does not like pecan pie (the way I love it) due to the gooey factor and not enough nuts. This pie solved that problem and was amazing! So much so the pumpkin cheesecake sat untouched. The only trouble I had was my dough was a little on the tough side. Is that from over mixing or not kneading it enough? Could serving it chilled have been a factor? I would love to fix that one bit of my preparation. Thank you thank you thank you!