The Tattooed Latke Maker Gives In

Latkesweb

One day last August my ever-so-lovely partner Adam came home from a photo shoot for the launch of a new magazine. Upon asking how his long day was spent high atop the Hollywood Hills in a gorgeous airy modern home which was the location for the magazine spread, he proudly proclaimed, somewhat  exhausted, that he was now the new Latke King.

I really didn’t know what he meant by that, but my mind reeled and raced with images of small brightly lit fast food establishments that offered only fried potato pancakes with various dipping sauces. In my perverted mind they’d be open 24 hours, have drive-thrus, and come with plastic gloves to keep your steering wheel grease-free as you drove around town eating them.

Oh come on––you know it’d be fantastic, it really would. But sadly that’s not what he meant.

"I can now make a mean latke. I made 80 today alone. Eighty."

Blogjltearadam_2
As it turns out, Adam was food styling for a feature called "Chanukah L.A. Style" and the latke duties were delegated to him by the lead stylist. Eighty crispy, salty, delicious latkes for a photo shoot and I wasn’t around? Hollywood is a cruel town, I tell you.

Yesterday after reading about latkes over at Deb’s place and knowing Chanukah began today, I used every bit of persuasion I could muster to get my Latke Maker to indulge me by re-enacting his on-the-job skills.

"Oh come on, where’s your sense of spirit? It’s Chanukah!" I enthusiastically proclaimed.

"Matt, I hate to tell you this, but you’re neither Jewish nor have we once celebrated the Holiday" he snapped back.

"Well, um, your point? That doesn’t mean we can’t talk about the holy Temple and the battle and menorahs and oil and light!" I responded.

"We can talk about it all you want to. But what you’re really asking me to do is get in the kitchen and make Latkes for you for dinner," he answered.

Suddenly a smile swept across my face and when I got home the scent of oil filled the kitchen and a stack of warm, savory latkes were waiting for me.

Never have they tasted so good.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Potato Latkes from Martha Stewart

I‘m using my pal Martha’s recipe since she was kind enough to share some linklove with me on her very own personal blog. I think that means I can use "my pal Martha" repeatedly––we be tight, as they say. Haha I’m so funny. Don’t sue me, Ms. Stewart.  Anyway, there are so many recipes out there but when it comes down to it I prefer a simple potato pancake and besides, I was afraid Adam was going to smack me with a frying pan if I asked for both traditional and something zany like Curried Sweet Potato Latkes from you-know-who. We enjoyed ours with plenty of sour cream and apple butter. Serves 4.

Ingredients
2 (about 1 1/4 pounds) all-purpose or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 medium white onion, finely grated
8 scallion greens, finely slivered
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying

Method
1. Over a large bowl of cold water, grate potatoes into long strips, using the largest holes of a box grater. Transfer grated potatoes from water into another bowl. Pour off water from first bowl, reserving sediment. Add sediment to potatoes.

2. Add eggs, onion, and scallion greens. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well by hand.

3. Fill a large heavy-bottomed frying pan with 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of oil until very hot, about 385 degrees.

4. Drop 1 heaping tablespoonful of potato mixture into the pan. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes; the pan should hold five or six latkes per batch. Turn latkes over, and cook on the other side until golden brown, about another 3 minutes.

5. Latkes can be transferred to a baking sheet and kept warm in a 200 degree oven for up to a half hour before serving.

Comments

Those are some beautiful latkes! Tomorrow night’s dinner plan includes latkes with a soft-boiled egg on top, and a side of ratatouille.

Also, sniffle: Why doesn’t Martha love me too?

You know I like potatoes more than I like most people; if you opened a 24/7 latke shack in my town, I’d spend all my money there and be your groupie.

Jewish or not — i think all cultures have some version of Latkes. But, if Adam want to feed you, fill your home with heavenly delights — let’s celebrate Chanukah.

It warms my heart to see you gentiles celebrating my holiday! Thank you for being a voice against the Attack on Hannukah that the Fox Network is always talking about. Oh wait, that’s not it…

Matt: I saw that Stewart link and came right on over through it.. sure nice gig! Adam – your latkes are gobsmacking-beautiful, something very much to be proud of.

I will be giving the recipe a go on my end but I fear any shot I take of them will never approach the beauty above.

I mean, come on, look at the unctuous goldenness of them, look at those voluptuous swirls of sour cream.. enough to make one swoon with hunger, jealousy, and ambition simultaneously.

6. Tatyana says

Those are the most beautiful latkes that I’ve ever seen. And, I use the same recipe as you.
    The large grater holes=crispier latkes, so much better than the milkshake consistency batter.

Very pretty pictures of some nice fried treasures…people come from far and wide to sample our fried morsels…I can’t get enough!

Listen, do you think that your man would be interested in teaching my man how to cook? I’m prepared to make a serious offer here. My house never smells like hot oil unless I’m in the kitchen heating it.

Anyway, those are some FINE looking latkes. Maybe we should just find homes closer to each other?

Am eating these now and let me tell you this:

– This recipe yields BEAUTIFUL little latkes
    – its very easy to follow
    – I used a food processor to shred and got beautiful shredded potatoes for this purpose
    – that sediment step must be crucial, potato starch is magic stuff
    – you might have left out (or did I miss it) the part where you squeeze out the liquid from the potatoes as you take it out of the water. (some may not know to do this) .. did you all squeeze or not squeeze?

11. Diane says

I Looooooooove latkes. But I have to say, wrapping my head around the idea of Martha Stewart Latkes is sort of like trying to imagine Bubbelah Zadie’s Christmas Ham.