Egg Nog and Sun Screen

by Matt on December 17, 2007

Lbcollagelarge

Armed with a pocketful of outdated 120 film and a Mamiya 645 I hit the streets of my sleepy beach town this past Saturday morning to re-familiarize myself with film. Film! I have an assignment next month––my first international collaboration––and since I’m headed somewhere beachy and warm I decided to use Long Beach as a stand-in. Hey, my street doubles for the Miami neighborhood on the TV show "Dexter", it might be a decent stand-in of the Caribbean for me.

Ok, it wasn’t really. Not at all. But it was worth a shot.

As I walked around the beach, watching the joggers, bikers and volleyball games in action, it made me realize that while I’m filled with the Christmas spirit and visions of sugar plum fairies dance in my head, it can be a bit difficult to truly embrace the season when it’s sunny and warm with cool ocean breezes caressing your skin. But no matter where I am and where I celebrate, I’m blessed and happy to be alive and thankful for a season that truly brings people together.

Sometimes there’s really not much more you can ask for.

Broderick December 17, 2007 at 8:34 am

These could’ve been taken years ago, I love the look of all the shots

mary December 17, 2007 at 10:42 am

I love, love, love these photos and I really enjoyed your thoughts. We’ve got feet and feet of snow where I am, so a little sun and sand, even the virtual kind, is really welcome. Happy holidays!

Flavia December 17, 2007 at 1:07 pm

Living in Rio de Janeiro, I can totally relate to those nostalgic feelings for a white Christmas. But, just like you, I am happy to be surrounded with good friends and my dear family. Although I have to admit , I am equally elated to be going to Paris for a , hopefully cooler, month, on the 26 th !!If you want beach and WARMTh, you are more than welcome here in Rio ! I’ll be grateful if you take me as your guide ! Merry X’mas!!

tracy December 17, 2007 at 6:59 pm

hope your trip doesn’t include any blood spatter ;) It’s fun going back to film for awhile.

Candace December 18, 2007 at 9:55 am

Those pictures make me homesick for the first time in 2 years. Is that Long Beach?

I lived there my whole life but moved to the Portland area a couple of years ago – I love it up here and I didn’t miss the 70 degree December days, until seeing this post. I never realized how much I took the sunshine for granted until my first winter here. When the sun is out, even if it’s 50 degrees – I go outside, close my eyes and just point my face toward the sun to soak it all up. SIGH – Merry Christmas!

P.S. – Give my love to SuperMex!!!!!!!!

Jennifer Jeffrey December 18, 2007 at 10:16 am

My Holga (and all my 120 film) is packed away in a box and sitting in a storage unit. This post made me wish I could fetch it and start snapping.

Love the dappled, faded light… Mmmmm.

núria December 19, 2007 at 3:44 am

Hola Matt! Here in Barcelona, we don’t have snow… oooohhhh, I would love some! But temperatures are low and it’s cold, so I guess, it’s more like Xmas climate.
So, are you taking part in a film? or just filming? Wow any of both is fun!