I’ve forgotten how to relax. This is a good place to practice.

by Matt on January 8, 2008

Nassaucollage

Armed with a few hours of sleep and a bag filled with way too much camera gear I landed this morning in the Bahamas. I’ll be spending the next few days with my friend Alex as we run around putting words and images together for a project. Wish me luck, he’s a brilliant travel writer and makes me feel like my vocabulary only consists of "yay!" and "like" and "omg for reals!!"

OMG, like, it does. Ouch.

Because things have been so crazy lately (which explains the lack of posts) I’ve had a hard time unplugging my brain and just chilling. It always seems there’s something to be done and I’ve had to work hard at not working hard.  Running into locals and sharing freshly cracked coconuts or a beer or two has certainly helped. But today I discovered my new favorite snack that has made all time stand still.

Conch Fritters.

Again. Conch Fritters.

Fritters_2

I’m simply too exhausted to describe the pillowy, fried golden goodness of this shellfish fritter that’s served with a habanero sauce, or mayo with lime, or a combination of the two. I mean, my brain is gone and I have no idea what it was but I know that as soon as I finish this post I’m walking back along the beach and helping myself to another serving with an icy cold beer before my big day of shooting commences tomorrow.

Perhaps I’ll stick some extras in my camera bag.

tattooed mama January 8, 2008 at 4:39 pm

oh my goodness, i am quite jealous!

jamezu January 8, 2008 at 10:49 pm

wow, those food items in bahamas looks really good… (drool…) n_n

tara January 9, 2008 at 5:51 am

Gorgeous stuff; I woke up this morning to a terrible storm, no power (since restored) and a downed tree in our front yard. These photos, and those delectable fritters, was just the lift I needed!

Linda January 9, 2008 at 6:28 am

best of luck tomorrow! those fritters look so savory delicious. yum.

Cynthia January 9, 2008 at 8:10 am

Conch fritters – always a favourite.

west January 9, 2008 at 8:36 am

you suck. much jealousy from the (951)….and yes, those gorgeously fried conch fritters look yummy.

Melissa January 9, 2008 at 8:45 am

Oh you lucky dog. If I send you my address will you send me some sunshine? (and maybe some conch fritters?)

p.s. not that you need it, but good luck with the shoot – woohoo!

Clare K. January 9, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Conch fritters!?! Ever since I saw something on the Food Network about these, I’ve been wanting to try. Maybe you can dissect them during your trip and attempt to recreate at home and share the recipe with us? Pretty please?

chanelle January 9, 2008 at 2:22 pm

omg for reals – what an awesome place to try to relax. do that.

heidi January 9, 2008 at 3:09 pm

i have fritter envy!

Lisa (Homesick Texan) January 9, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Have a wonderful time on your well-deserved working vacation! I can’t wait to see all your beautiful photos!

Amy Sherman January 9, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Here’s my definition of relaxed: When the biggest question of the day becomes–should I take a nap or have a snack? That’s when you know you’re relaxed!

Kim January 9, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Hey Matt! Way to start the year off right–in the Bahamas. Sweet! Love the pictures–hope I can see more of them when you get back. So, like, it seems that beer on the beach in the Bahamas beats, say, Big Red on the beach in Galveston, right? So hey–save some fritters for FoodPix!

Heidi January 9, 2008 at 9:46 pm

oh, I want the Claudette’s sign made into a font! Too cute.

Looks amazing Matt, take a dip in the ocean for me. -h

Lori January 10, 2008 at 11:01 am

Just stumbled across your site and have been reading posts for about 1/2 hour!! Great pics and interesting writing. I can only aspire to become as good! I’ll visit often…

Lori

s'kat January 10, 2008 at 11:11 am

Lucky bastard! such pretty, pretty colours, and conch fritters too.

Somehow, I think you’ll find a way to chill.

s'kat January 10, 2008 at 11:11 am

Lucky bastard! such pretty, pretty colours, and conch fritters too.

Somehow, I think you’ll find a way to chill.

s'kat January 10, 2008 at 11:11 am

Lucky bastard! such pretty, pretty colours, and conch fritters too.

Somehow, I think you’ll find a way to chill.

Katia January 10, 2008 at 1:39 pm

First of all, you crack me up! omg for reals!- that has to be the funniest thing I’ve read in a while. As for the fritters, I’ve had them and they are to die for! I used to eat them on holiday in Belize with a little sauce which was made from mayonnaise, ketsup, and Pick-a- peppa and yes, I know it sounds odd, but it was delicious. I hope you unwind before it’s time to go home.

Julie January 12, 2008 at 6:47 am

What an idyllic looking place — all that blue sky and blue water. And on top of all that, conch fritters? It really is a paradise. Enjoy your time there!

katy January 12, 2008 at 6:44 pm

so jealous! my family goes to jamaica every year and it’s paradise. this makes me excited for our trip! i will be on the lookout for conch fritters!

Caro January 15, 2008 at 6:12 am

Now that I’m in the tropics myself, I´m getting some conch-related yummies STAT!

The Caribbean RULES!!!

Kian January 15, 2008 at 7:15 am

The fritters look so yummy! Reminded me of the wonderful conch fritters I had in Key West.

Melanie January 18, 2008 at 9:23 am

looks delicious—have a coconut water with a splash of lime and some rum–
I love conch fritters–with hot sauce or ketchup or both–
yum-
Best,
Melanie

scottb February 1, 2008 at 6:57 pm

I had conch fritters and fish chowder (with dark rum and hot sherry peppers sauce) on Bermuda, with a nice rum drink (Dark n’ Stormy) to boot.

one of the best meals ever.

The fish chowder I’ve made a few time since, conch on the other hand isn’t as readily available in NH. – and despite their availability, clam fritters just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Felicia February 23, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Love your wit, joie de vivre and of course your photos!
I’m an American photographer in Seoul and I just happened to come across your website. What a wonderful surprise this chilly Sunday morning!

Keep up the great work!

Felicia

Bahamas Vacation August 5, 2008 at 11:23 am

That food looks absolutely delicious. So you’re saying you’re in the Bahamas and not taking it easy? You must be a special breed of crazy.