When Life Gives You Cherries

by Matt on May 24, 2008

Whole-lotta-cherries

Knock knock, remember me? I used to blog quite regularly. Ok, seriously I'll be back to it soon enough, I've just been keeping busy with work and some amazing gigs as well as trying to organize my studio. It's coming together quite nicely and the light is super fantastic. Thank you for all the well wishes and yes, when the dust settles I will have a small party. Consider yourself invited. But I must admit tt's strange to go from working in a small space to having more than enough room to move around in, and I find myself working in only a fraction of the space solely out of habit. I must remind myself that I can spread out, no need to cram.

Speaking of cramming, today was the first full day of shooting at the new studio. It was a big cherry shoot for a magazine article that won't run until next summer, but when it comes time to hand over files to the printer in April of next year cherries will be almost nonexistent. So we work ahead. And because I'm not only the client and art director but the photographer I am able to share a few of them with you now.

Tenderloin-outside

A yummy pork tenderloin with cherry salsa and a big happy bowl of cherries.  If you haven't guessed by now  I'm in love with the amount and quality of light my studio gets during the day and makes for happy shooting. Big overhead skylights act as a fill and all the extra space lets me put on the ipod and dance around like a total idiot. Not like I've ever done that. Twice.

Salad-bowl

This was a smoked turkey, feta and cherry salad that was absolutely delicious. Next to it is another cherry beauty shot that was styled with some antique towels my partner Adam has been collecting on his regular trips to the midwest. I freaking love these towels and they pair so well with cherries. I mean, "churries", as we've been calling them all day a la Chingy. Right thurr.

Lemonade-colander

Sweet, chilly cherry lemonade and another beauty shot with an antique colander from the midwest. Had we bought that here in Los Angeles it would have been $2,980.12 I have no doubt. And as far as the glasses, I've slowly been building up my prop closet with unique tableware and antique glasses. It pays to be married to an obsessive shopper. I love you, Adam!

Empty-plate

Will these last two shots make it into the story? Probably not but that's ok. I had to use this amazing handmade thin ceramic plate at least once and I liked the color contrast with the napkin that I dyed since I couldn't find the right purple.

Tomorrow is day #2 of the shoot and truly when we get to all the good stuff — pies, clafouti, ice cream, cherry sweets — I really can't wait.

What are your favorite cherry recipes? I'm all ears and since I have 25 lbs of cherries leftover…

kristina May 24, 2008 at 9:20 pm

we goin hiit it right hurr its the remix…

has adam been going to stl? that’s the city where they do that right thurr the most…out of towners come around and straight overdose…

wonderful pics,as always! i want some chilly churry lemonade…

Kim May 24, 2008 at 10:36 pm

It just so happens I made Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with cherries and dark chocolate chunks last night. It’s still chilling. One of my other favorite things to do with cherries is make pancakes, and drop cherries in the batter while they are on the pan,pits and all. So good…… Glad you are loving your new studio.

adriana mullen May 25, 2008 at 3:37 am

Great shoots Matt, glad to see you posting again. I make a cherry sauce for duck all the time, but I use dry one’s. However, I made with fresh one’s when I was in culinary school if I find the recipe I will email to you.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) May 25, 2008 at 3:56 am

Welcome back, and thanks for all the cherries — I just want to grab them right off the screen and bake a pie!

Bella May 25, 2008 at 8:04 am

Really pretty!

Mari May 25, 2008 at 10:21 am

The cherry salsa with pork tenderloin looks scrumptious! If you need to off-load some cherries, I’d be more then happy to accommodate you. I’ll provide you with my FedEx account number and all! ;-)

Catherine dée Auvil May 25, 2008 at 11:35 am

Wow, the cherries in the wood bowl is my favorite. It’s a work of art.

todd May 25, 2008 at 1:11 pm

matt, maybe you’ve gone over this before but do you ever work with food that’s not really edible? or even food that’s only made to look ‘cooked’ or ready to eat? Do you ever prefer this or find it sometimes necessary?

thanks!

Jenny May 25, 2008 at 8:51 pm

I have to say that my favourite cherry recipe is your cherry tart that you did last year, it is just so simple and delicious. They are so good on their own, one after another sitting in the garden in the sunshine!

Cherries go lovely with ducks too….

Tommy May 25, 2008 at 10:10 pm

If you’re ever in northern Michigan (which is to say, the northern half of the lower peninsula – anything further north is “da U.P.”) in the summer, make sure to swing through Beulah and hit the Cherry Hut. They’ve got really good cherry lemonade and a great cherry burger… oh great, now I’m salivating all over my keyboard…

chanelle May 25, 2008 at 10:28 pm

you had me at cherry salsa. *thud*

and, this:
is really really good for using up some of them churries right thurr.

Philippe May 25, 2008 at 10:59 pm

Wow. Gotta love that Cherry Salsa with pork tenderloin.

I pretty much adore that cherries with the antique towel from the midwest and the other one with the antique midwest colander.

My suggestive recipe is, with some double cream with sugar and vanilla extract (or real vanilla) whip till you get soft peaks. Mashed up some cherries add a little balsamic vinegar and sugar. Mix it in with the cream and add some crush meringue in it. Top it up with some fresh cherries and toasted almond flakes.

P.S. don’t add the meringue not until you are serving them right away not unless you like the meringue all mushy.

MariannaF May 26, 2008 at 8:17 am

Cherries! Damn, cant wait till they are REALLY in season over here in France! They still cost way too much and arent ripe enough…sigh. Did you change your font on this post or sthing btw? Or maybe it’s just my computer?? I have many favourite cherry recipes, but I have to admit that I have a “thing” for maraschino cherries! I especially love enjoying them tucked inside amaretti cookies which are then dipped in dark chocolate. Paradise I tell you!

matt wright May 26, 2008 at 10:56 am

Matt, you really do bite. Your amazing photography just pisses me off! Just when I think mine is improving, you go and do this. Well, cheers…. thanks a lot!!!

Some of the best food shots I have ever seen, from anyone, anywhere. You are awesome mate, great work.

And blog more often will ya :D

nanette May 26, 2008 at 12:02 pm

Love, love, love the cherry shots! Your lighting is gorgeous. I would love to have a studio like yours. Your props are brilliant too. I actually have the same wooden bowl and am hoping to hit up some small town garage sales to add to my closet.

Mary May 27, 2008 at 3:36 pm

Well . . favorite cherry recipes. I will de-lurk. Freeze a generous bunch to have round when making manhattans. Use a generous spoonful instead of ice and maraschinos. Eat the bourbon soaked cherries out of the bottom of the empty glass with your fingers . . .

Moriah May 27, 2008 at 7:29 pm

I love cherries! And your site, too. You really seem to understand how food wants to be seen.

My favorite sour cherry recipe is a simple butter-crust pie. I can’t bring myself to cook sweet dark cherries, though. There’s no better way to eat them than raw.

Christy May 28, 2008 at 3:03 am

sigh…how do you take such beautiful photographs?? I swear they look better on your site than they do in real life. Now if I could just reach into the screen….

kellymo May 30, 2008 at 4:42 am

So so so curious… what did you put into the cherry salsa? What a great idea.

Kent photographer July 4, 2008 at 8:14 am

Wow, so inspiring. It all looks so delicious

Essex Photography August 14, 2011 at 2:50 am

Just to say I love the photography, you are obviously good at what you do, these photo’s are top notch.