With love and thanks on the 4th

by Matt on July 3, 2008

Thank-you

With the special holiday weekend beginning in just a few short hours I wanted to wish everyone here in the good old USA a very wonderful Independence Day. May it be filled with laughter, great food, family and friends, some fireworks (legal, not illegal!), lots of little ones running around, fireflies, sticky fingers from bbq sauce, peaches, plums and nectarines and lots and lots of cold beer. Or wine.

Me? It’ll be a very small one over here at our place. We’re having friends over for dinner and thanks to my pal Deb from Everyday Food my dinner predicament has been solved. You can read the solution to my “problem” here.

Not that my friends are ever problems, I’m just sayin’, that’s all.

Darned picky eaters!

But before I go…

I have to thank YOU. Yes, YOU. The love you sent over with your kind congratulatory words means more to us than we could ever convey. I’m not going to get all sappy because every time I read through the comments I begin to cry. Each and every single one. I’m serious. So to all of you, bless you all and please accept our most sincere and humble thanks.

And to my youngest Chihuahua Bindi, please accept my sincere apologies knowing you hate clothing (I wonder why?) and for putting a hat on you and subjecting you to a photograph. I know the brief sensation of pure humiliation and shame will disappear when I ask if you want to go outside and have a treat.

At least I hope so.

Bindi

anita July 3, 2008 at 7:09 pm

Matt, you’re a PEACH!

Broderick July 3, 2008 at 9:57 pm

I hope you and your HUSBAND have an excellent 4th ;)

Nina July 4, 2008 at 5:40 am

Lovely pictures, Matt and your dog is a real pudding!!!

umami July 4, 2008 at 6:20 am

It’s not true, dogs love dressing up too. Both of mine do anyway. Happy 4th July!

alice July 4, 2008 at 2:36 pm

I hear you on the dinner difficulties, my foodie family actually have lots of allergies to food (like the proper kind where they might need an ambulance) so when I cook for all of them at once it is:

no gluten (includes spelt)
no citrus
no uncooked fruit
no meat
no tuna
no alcohol

Jeeze! Maybe you could get your friend to sort that one out for me! ;)

Congratulations again on your wedding!

matt wright July 4, 2008 at 4:13 pm

As a British bloke living in Seattle, this is my favorite holiday of the year. Seriously…. “haha, look at the Englishman celebrating the 4th”.. any excuse for fireworks, good food and beer if you ask me! Happy 4th everyone!

Babeth July 5, 2008 at 2:11 am

Happt 4th of July!

dynagrrl July 5, 2008 at 5:53 am

I love the pic of “poor” Bindi! The hat rules! Happy 4th of July everyone!!!

Tana July 7, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Bindi looks just like I picture Betsy Ross, in my mind, when I’m poring over my grandmother’s chapbooks.

No, really.

I did not comment on your wedding post, because who wants to be 247th in line to shake the Queen’s Hand?

I did not suffer on the Fourth of July, because I spent it at the home of one of SC’s best caterers, with a Green (“green”) house on her parents’ land, and a view from the mountain to Big Sur’s mushroom cloud of smoke. 75 miles south.

And I mentioned you and Adam to the people at that birthday party—a Sunset magazine feast without the self-conscious posturing—as being newlyweds, and oh, goodness, do you both have some good karma? Or what.

You aren’t going to heaven: you are in your own heaven.

I send you my love from starry/smoky Soquel.

chanelle July 10, 2008 at 8:23 am

oh, matt – you always get me so choked up with your little notes like this. have i told you how much i love you today?
HUGS!!!!

xo
~chanelle

tammy September 10, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Hi Matt – congrats on your marriage – you two look cute together – next time tell your hubby to losen up- he was a little stiff in the photos – (i know – that’s the way u like him) — anyway, seriously- I have to ask – the composition of your peaches photograph here – what is it alluding to ??? a double 69?? I got my eye on you – you crafty crafty man you :)