Cobblerfornia Dreamin’

by Matt on July 9, 2008

Cobbler-image

Boy, the mind is a powerful thing. Well, I mean, I’m sure yours is. Mine is currently oscillating between the study of sleep deprivation and a desire to pitch my belongings into a hobo stick and hightail it away from civilization for oh, like 100 years. There have been deadlines. And then even more deadlines. And before I bore you with the remarkably unsexy details of my post-married life I should just stop right there and say that I’ll catch up on some sleep when I’m dead.

If you’ll allow me to backtrack for just one moment I’d like to tell you that my backyard fruit trees have rewarded us this year; luscious, copious amounts of super-sweet fruit that always managed to fall to the ground before I can get out there to retrieve it. What I have harvested has made its way to our next door neighbor (he loves apricots), the family down the street (the whole gang even came over to help pick oranges), but because of my schedule (or is it Mother Nature’s?) I haven’t found any takers for my happy nectarines. I don’t mind that they all don’t ripen simultaneously as it gives me time to enjoy a handful of fruit over the course of a few days. Unlike that nectarine tree which makes me nervous each damn year.

I can almost hear that damn tree now.

“Hey shorty, are you ready? I’m serious…I’m sooo totally going to drop all this fruit in like 20 minutes and stand back while you crawl on the ground like a 4-year old hording the contents of a birthday piƱata!”

Oh brother. Now trees are talking to me. See? I told you I wasn’t getting enough sleep.

But speaking of sleep and burning candles at both ends I woke up Monday morning scratching my head thanks to a very surreal and strange dream I had. As I normally do this time of year I always come home from work and grab a colander and head to the backyard to pick fruit that’s ready to eat. In my dream it was business as usual but for each nectarine I picked one would mysteriously — miraculously, even — appear in its place. And it made that cartoony popping sound, the kind where you put your finger inside your mouth to mimic the opening of a bottle of champagne. I wanted to find someone to tell about my strange discovery but oddly no one was around. So I stopped picking, made a cobbler, and ate the entire thing. And then the next day I did the exact same thing. And I did it all over again. And this went on for what seemed like weeks in my dream. But the best part was that I don’t really remember making the cobblers, they just appeared. And they weren’t really nectarines as much as sweet perfect orbs. But you know how dreams are and their ability to suspend reality for the most part.

I’m telling you I really need to get some sleep.

………………………………………………………………….

Peach (or 3-Week Nectarine) Cobbler from Everyday Baking

I think my fixation occurred because I happen to find fruit cobblers some of the most perfect desserts on the planet. I appreciate the lenient and generous standards I have for them — soggy? No problem! Too sweet? Give it here! However I will draw the line at a poor crust-to-fruit ratio, beware. I like the Martha Stewart recipe because it’s easy and I love Martha so much I might tattoo her name somewherespecial, Call me a kiss ass, I don’t care.

For The Filling:
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 pounds peaches, halved, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, and cut again in half crosswise (about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

For the Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk

1.  Make the filling: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Add peaches and lemon juice; toss to combine. Divide filling evenly among four 8-ounce custard cups (or one 2-quart baking dish); transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.

2. Make the topping and bake: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk; stir just until a dough forms. Drop dough onto peaches, using about 1/3 cup dough for each custard cup. Sprinkle dough with remaining teaspoon sugar. Bake until fruit is bubbling and biscuit topping is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes; serve warm.

Uncle Beefy July 9, 2008 at 2:12 pm

“Like that’s really a bad thing?” Uh…if there wasn’t any ice cream it might be! Okay, a tad disappointing perhaps but not bad.

I wish I was there to take some of those nectarines off your hands, Matt! My fave!!! I’d trade you some weeds and moles for ‘em? Sound like a deal?

As far as genital tatooing…that’s entirely a personal choice. But I don’t know that I would publicly advertise that to Martha? I mean, now she knows that she’s gotcha where she wants ya’!

Megan July 9, 2008 at 3:32 pm

Long time reader, first time commenter :)
First and foremost, let me flatter you with praise for your always amazing photography. It’s the reason this blog first caught my eye, although your humor is what has kept me reading.
Second, being a fellow Long Beach local, if you EVER need someone to take your happy nectarines off your hands, I’m your girl!

Katie July 10, 2008 at 6:45 am

I absolutely adore this blog. I cheered when I saw your sweet wedding pictures, and I swoon when I see your beautiful food photography. (I even wrote about how much I love your work on my own blog). This post made me smile on a particularly stressful morning at work, so in short, THANKS for your fun blog! :)

chanelle July 10, 2008 at 8:13 am

wow, talk about a dream come true. ;)

again with the tempting backyard bounty, and me too far away to help you out with it! *sigh*

xo

ali July 10, 2008 at 3:45 pm

i use an MS recipe too for a peach cobbler. It’s wonderful, but I always wondered what it would be like if I substituted buttermilk for the cream, but i’ve been too afraid to try to switch up a good recipe. i think buttermilk is the secret to good biscuits, so i imagine this biscuit topping will be delectable. can’t wait to try it!

xie July 10, 2008 at 11:29 pm

maybe this is sacrilege, but would it be ok to use bisquick mix for the topping?

nina July 11, 2008 at 1:10 am

I grew up with a bounty of fruit trees in the back yard, but sadly now I live in the city and I have to be satisfied with what the organic market has on offer. I love nectarines and the idea of them in a cobbler, is this heavenly!!!

Nicoletta July 11, 2008 at 4:20 am

Hmmm, bellissimo… And I guess also buonissimo…

Mari July 11, 2008 at 8:58 am

Damn that cobbler looks mighty fine!!! If you should come across one of those magical trees, please send one my way, because I can tell you the exact date when I had a really great peach —Paris, May 28th, 2005. Good peaches(and nectarines, for that matter)neither grow nor nor can be found here in the Netherlands, and I’d give my right ta-ta for one!

Memories in the Baking July 11, 2008 at 9:59 am

Well, I know what I’ll be making this weekend. Your pictures and your humor are both absolutely wonderful.

Heather Vanek July 11, 2008 at 10:39 am

wow! I’m so glad I came across your blog! Your website is amazing. I’ve always loved food photography. I’m a childrens photographer, but food….man that’s hard! You’ve done an amazing job. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Beau July 12, 2008 at 2:24 pm

I checked out your website ~ your work is gorgeous! love your style! thanks for the inspiration!

maybelles mom (feeding maybelle) July 12, 2008 at 6:12 pm

wouldn’t it be funny if martha had a tatoo of your name somewhere special.

Aimee July 13, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Can you ship some of that fruit up to Montreal? Sounds like heaven to pick it right off your own tree and I have to agree with your cobbler fixation-they’re hard to beat.

Melanie July 14, 2008 at 6:36 am

I wish I was your neighbor-I love fruit and fruit cobblers!!and fruit trees!
Take a little break–do something different–off the beaten path-

Rebecca July 15, 2008 at 12:33 pm

I am a really vivid dreamer, too–that dream sounds fantastic! My empanadas, your cobbler, we’ed have a pretty good meal! xo

Anita July 15, 2008 at 5:57 pm

I really enjoy your blog – the fab photography and the great writing! You pretty much pulled me into what’s got to be one of the best dreams ever!

Rhonda July 15, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Nectarines freeze really well.And they make wonderful jam! See, now there’s no easy “out”!

Love your blog–and a big Kansas congrats on your marriage!

Catherine July 16, 2008 at 10:14 am

I’ll bring the vanilla ice cream!

Catherine

Tea July 16, 2008 at 2:20 pm

I keep on coming back here to look at that lovely shot (and wish you lived down the street from me).

I think my favorite is leftover cobbler, warmed up, with cold milk poured over for breakfast.

Hillary July 22, 2008 at 12:16 pm

All I saw was the name of this post in my RSS feed reader and had to click on it. Sometimes you’re just too hilarious! :)

Busby SEO challenge August 27, 2008 at 5:37 am

It is really fun to browse for different recipes, I am learning a lot and also thanks for sharing your ideas because at the same time I am also trying my best to learn how to prepare (decent meals :-) Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint