Will I still have friends after this post?

Duck-Rillette-Nachos-Final

Funny how my brain works. Like one time I unlatched a screen from the second story window of our home and jumped out and landed in the bushes.

I was three years old.

Another time I thought it’d be “cool” to take a black permanent marker to my Donny Osmond doll. But what’s even more disturbing is that I had a Donny Osmond doll.

Fast forward about 30 years later. My brain is still short-circuiting and doing the strangest of things. But luckily they don’t involve bodily injury or staining Mormons.

Today I had a huge chunk of duck rillette in my fridge. I also had oil, corn tortillas and fresh salsa.

I think you can see where I’m going with this.

Small tortilla triangles went into hot oil in a skillet until golden brown, pieces of rillette went on top of those chips and then salsa went on top of that. And can I tell you something?

ABSOLUTELY FREAKING FANTASTIC.

No, really.

I mean, like, really freakin’ awesome.

And trust me, I’d even use the real F word if my mom wasn’t a reader of this blog.

So there you have it. Duck Rillette Nachos.

Am I strange? I mean, it’s like carnitas, no? Can we still be friends?

Comments

1. Lito S. says

No clue what duck roulette is. But it looks good to me. For din, let’s just wrap some in a flour tortilla. a real white flour tortilla, none of those rainbow colored wrap/tortilla bullshit. Wash it down with tecate, and for dessert, flan. mmmmmm

omg yes, yes, yes. i *love* duck rillettes, and combining them with nachos sounds divine. now i’m gonna have to make some rillettes too!

It looks like your “risk taking” is finally paying off. This looks/sounds fabulous. And is that a margarita you’re sipping?

4. J Wade says

Looks delicious. Not surprising from a man that as a child fashioned a baton out of a shower curtain rod.

Well, Matt…my mouth is watering! It sounds fine by me! But ask my partner…if it involves a tortilla chip I’m ALL over it! Okay, and the margarita wouldn’t hurt much either! ;)

Oh…and p.s. ~ I had the Donny doll too! I swear it was a gift and I had NO choice in the matter! I bet it’s even sitting in my parents’ garage! But even I had the good sense as a child not to go and attempt “black face” on the poor thing! Honestly, Matt! ;)

Oh blimey. Matt, Matt, Matt… You might quite possibly be the first person to put duck rillette on a tortilla.. but now I am certain not the last!

Duck rillette is pretty much good on anything – but this does indeed look awesome!!

And thanks to you my friend, I now know more about my wife.. I thought I knew everything about her, but no.. I now find out that she too had a Donny Osmond doll!

7. K says

YES!!!!!!!!!! I just finished making my annual batch of duck rillettes and this’ll be great to surprise my peeps! Thanks a bunch (going back into lurk mode)

Hey,

I read your twitter but since we aren’t mutually following each other, I can’t direct msg you. re: kale, it is indeed yummy. It makes real good wraps if you don’t have tortillas. I like to slather a leaf with baba ghanouj or muhammara and fill with meats, grains, vegs, and roll.

Dinosaur (or cavalo nero) kale is essential for an Italian winter soup called ribollita.

9. kathleen says

haha this is one of those rich person things… like lobster nachos in New England. You make do with what you got, man.

I’ve never had duck, so I’ll have to take your word for it on this one–but I have no doubt it’s delish!

How on earth did I miss the Donny Osmond doll? I used to sneak out of bed at night to watch the Donnie & Marie show…

Duck rillettes is good with almost everything. So why not nachos?
    You liked it, I’d probably love it as well, so why worry?
    Isn’t that the great thing about cooking? Finding out what suits one’s tastes best in ever new ways?

Thanks for the post!

Ummmm, almost any and everything tastes better when applied to the top of a freshly fried corn chip. Lovely. And now I’m starving and it’s 8 in the morning.

13. catdawg says

Well, I had the Donny and Marie dolls and the Donny and Marie record player! I thought I was the only “brown” kid with such items.

Are you kidding me? Of course we’ll still be friends. And then this friend, will ask you friend, to bring over some duck rillette nachos and we can call it a day!

I have been a silent reader of your blog for a long time now and I just have to tell you how much I love it. Your pictures are beyond gorgeous, love your writing style and you’re hysterical!! Please don’t ever stop! :)

*wiping eyes* duck rillette nachos with homemade salsa?! I just think you’ve just fortified our friendship beyond all boundries…

We want some!!! Don’t know what that beverage is, but it looks pretty bitchin good.

hahaha, love “it’s like carnitas, no?”.LOL.
    I will give it a try for reaserch purposes, and it will be an interesting research since I’m mexican and my bf is a frenchie chef, but who knows, we might like it!!

saludos