Bits & Bites

You know it’s been forever and then some since I’ve done any Bits & Bites. I think I’ll change that by posting on Fridays and give you senseless information you couldn’t possibly need. What do ya think? It’s ok, you can groan and roll your eyes.

A Homemade Life

molly-bookOne of the best things about being a blogger is that you get to beg, moan, cry, throw a tantrum or two and drunk-email until the object of your affection responds sometimes get advance copies of books. I know it doesn’t come out until next Tuesday but right now I’m reading Molly Wizenberg’s A Homemade Life. Like many others the world over she has captured my heart and mind with her angelic words.  I told her last month it’s pretty remarkable when you finally meet a writer and they match the sensibility and beauty of their work; it’s like a double-whammy and it makes you love them even more. So yea, that’s Molly. I get goosebumps when I read anything she writes.

And Confidential To Ms. Wizenberg: The Pointer Sisters have nothing on me. Wait til I see you next time. AUTOMATIC.

So These Chinese, Jewish, Mexican and Vietnamese Food Bloggers Walk Into A Bar…

bahamas11I’ll be gone for a week somewhere sunny on an Island with my boo and a selection of my favorite bloggers (including one who claims he’ll be wearing a speedo and if you don’t think I’ll have like 4 cameras nearby to capture that then you clearly don’t know me well enough).  I’m sure we’ll all be writing about at some point. I don’t want to reveal too much but I wouldn’t be surprised if a) we return 25 lbs heavier b) no one ever speaks to me again after I try to do the electric slide post-daiquiri or c) the entire island boards up and flees after seeing me in a bathing suit on the beach. Latin Blubber, that’s all I’m sayin.

Ok, maybe I won’t take a camera after all.

Now offering Repentance:  Spring, Purified or Mineral Varieties Available.

Ok, so no one has actually written to complain about a joke I made on Twitter about ditching my job(s) as an art director and photographer to become a Water Sommelier. That’s right, I said WATER SOMMELIER. But afterwards I felt really bad and low about it. I shouldn’t make fun of something as important as the job of someone who educates the public about the merits and differences of bottled water. And if you could see my face right now you’d know exactly how I feel about this.

Clearly I’ll Never Be Hip Enough, Tall Enough, Or Bearded Enough To Live In Brooklyn

nytimesBut that doesn’t mean I don’t want to taste everything mentioned in this New York Times article.

Pork, pickles, chocolate? Yes please.

If it Ain’t Broke Don’t Juice It

tropicana-284I have mad respect for package designers. To me it’s one of the most difficult areas of graphic design. Yes, I’ve designed many a package in my day and no, I never liked it. You have to balance the design with a buttload of legal requirements while trying to make clients and the public happy. No thank you! Having said that I don’t take pleasure in seeing a brand relaunched only to be taken down a few months later. Did I like the Tropicana redo? A bit, yes. Did it look like a generic store brand? Absolutely. But I don’t drink orange juice so what do I know.

It’s Like Me Sending You A Christmas Card Addressed To Mary When Your Name Is Lisa

Dear PR Lady: I am sure you are absolutely lovely, I really am. And I know you value what you do. That’s why I’m telling you that you absolutely cannot send cut-n-paste press releases to me. Why? Because it shows you don’t really read my site and that 5 of my other blogger friends received the exact same email, probably more. I know this because we share emails and chat regularly. You know how that makes feel? Cruddy. So don’t do it. If you want any of us to pay attention to your brand and/or client then please make it personal. Class dismissed.

I’m Totally Digging My Canon 5D Mk II Because It’s So Rad.

canonI’ve joined the cool kids club! Lara loves hers. Matt loves his. Even Charles loves his. Now I can say I’ve joined the cool kats club and have my own 5D Mk II. Now let me say that I’m a firm believer that it’s not the camera that makes the photographer so don’t think you have to rely on technology to be creative. But this camera is sweet with its 21-megapixel full frame and live view and a bunch of other cool features.  And that high definition video feature everyone’s going ga ga over? Pretty damn incredible.

Tell me: would you like me to post more photo stuff on mattbites.com? I’d be happy to write about tips and tricks if it doesn’t bore you to death. I tend to be a photo geek sometimes all the time.

Comments

Yes PLEASE more photo tips, that would be awesome. Your photos are some of my favorites of all the food blogs; I’d love a little insight into how you do it! Have a great trip :)

As a photographer, let me respond by saying YES, please do add more photo-related content! What works for you, what’s tricky, how you edit, etc. Thanks! Love your site.

Um, absolutely yes to photo tips. Clearly there are bunch of us (aspiring) photos geeks out there.
    Have fun with the speedos.

4. marshall says

Yes, Matt, please post more photo tips. The more the better. You’re awesome. Thanks. More photo tips. Hey, did I mention it would be cool if you posted more photo tips on Matt Bites? ‘Cause it would. Be cool. If you did. Post more photo tips. Ok, thanks. Don’t let the pigeon drive the bus.

I love your bits and bites, keep ‘em coming! Perfect Fri. reading at work. :)
    And a resounding YES to more photog. stuff. Trying to learn on this here internet.
    Soo excited for Molly’s book, extremely envious of the Bahamas trip w/my favorite food bloggers, but v. excited for all of you, agree on OJ (do some people just not like change or what??), Brooklyn food is exciting, but the hipster quotient of that article was a turnoff, and…congrats on the lovely camera! I wish I’d know what to do with it.

OK, make that INSANELY jealous of the trip! Jaden from Steamy Kitchen just <a href=”http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2009/02/27/blogroll-heavier”<posted some menus!!!

7. Caitlin says

Based on our email conversations – YES – please post more photos! They’re beautiful. Have fun on your trip!

8. Kayvie says

Yes please! Very new to photography (and only discovered the wonderful online world of food shamefully recently), so I would very much appreciate some tips!

i’m really looking forward to reading molly’s book, since i love her blog and bon appetit column. also, i too am a photo geek (just got my 5dii yesterday!!!) so i would love to read tips & tricks from you. hm, behind-the-scenes videos? :)

Thanks for the book recommendation! Food + travel are on top of my list. Photo tips would be great. Have fun on your trip, sounds fabulous!

At the risk of sounding redundant, *please* post photo tips. I am constantly frustrated by my crappy photos, and any help would be most welcome.

12. Elizabeth says

Yep, mark one more vote for more photography-centered posts or bits of posts. I’m still dreaming of my nice camera, but now my dream is that I’ll already have a handy bag of tricks in mind once I have it! And on a side note I made your tortilla soup this week and it was a big hit, especially with the lime. Made some tasty frijoles to go on the side and we were in heaven.

Yes, please! Son and I always appreciate posts about photography tips. :)

And HAVE FUN! You lucky, lucky people. :D I can’t wait to hear the fun stories when you all get back!

Hi Matt! I love the new site. It really is beautiful. I’m so jealous you got an advanced copy of Molly’s book! And, yes, I would love more photo tips. Even better, I would love it if you held a west coast blogging session, much like the one you taught in NYC at Whole Foods. Have a great trip!

PS: I moved my blog too: http://www.alexandracooks.com.

matt,
    gggrrrrrrr…..I’d like to get my hands on this one too.Just isn’t around here in korea yet even though the ads are everywhere…..waiting,waiting….
    yeah,more pics please..
    all the best

16. Kelley Burrus says

I would love to see a full PHOTO TIP SECTION! Yes, please.

I have been in a bit of mourning as in true “Kelley spirit” I had just purchased a new 5D (after reaching a goal I had set for myself) and was so proud and so excited about experimenting that I literally stepped backwards into a swimming pool in pursuit of the greatest shot. Needless to say, I didn’t get it and completely ruined my brand new camera–the warranty paid for everything EXCEPT water damage.

Ah…..

17. James Tracy says

Why is the new web site so “GINORMOUS” on my computer? It wont fit my computer screen. Am I the only one who has this problem? Sorry this post is off topic but I just can’t take it any more. meh.

JT

photo tips, FTW! aka: yes please. any time. all the time. <3
    and you lucky duck, getting an advance copy of molly’s book! it’s been in my wishlist since she told us all she was in the early stages of writing. can’t WAIT.

have a lovely weekend matt, thanks for sharing your bits and bites, always a fun read.

xoxo

Jealous! Jealous! Jealous!!! I hope you guys have an amazing time, filled with lots of banana hammocks. :)

Hey! If you see guava jam, get some for me! ;)

Oh sure! Send more photography tips our way, any day!

I am a marketing person and I am always on the lookout for great product/packaging design! The new Tropicana look is OH so generic… And I like my juices freshly made not pre-packaged…

Hey Matt! great blogging. I look forward to your posts in my reader. I love all your pics (and sense of humor) and since I just bought my 1st SLR (canon xsi) Im in need of any tips & tricks you can share!
    have a great trip- and yes stay near the one with the sunscreen. good plan.
    Cindy

Trackbacks

1. [...] I first ran across his blog many moons ago he introduced me to my new fantasy camera, the Canon 5D Mark II and his food photography is exactly what I aspire mine to look like. In my opinion it’s [...]

2. [...] examine your chocolate logs to make sure you are getting enough marshmallow bits in your diet. …Bits & Bites | MattBites.comYou know it's been forever and then some since I've done any Bits & Bites. I think I'll change [...]