The World’s Most Unsexiest Recipe? Yes. Stewed Prunes.

prunes

I remember reading her words like it was yesterday. Molly once said that prunes were among the few foods with their own built-in laugh track. And gosh darnit, she’s right. I still giggle when I think about them, even when people were saying they were delicious and I should try them. And you know exactly what this boy is talking about, quit trying to be coy and pretend you don’t know.  We’re friends here.

Luckily I can now tell you that I no longer laugh as hard as I once did when I say the words prune and I can also tell you that I no longer put the palms of my hand to my lips and make mega-sounds.  And why? Because scattered among the yards and yards of breakfast items on the buffet table at Club Med in the Bahamas were bowls of stewed prunes. Looking around I noticed people helping themselves to the prunes without the slightest smirk or giggle. How could this happen? How come no one was laughing or joking about them?

Must be the French.

Ok, back to that unsexy headline. I suppose the you could look at stewed prunes as the choice of the Matlock set but this boy really learned to appreciate them in the Bahamas. They were silky and sweet with just the right amount of body and a touch of tartness.  They were divine on top of oatmeal or warm breakfast cereals and made for a really delightful breakfast. Since the trip I’ve enjoyed them a few times at home with a variety of spices and I must say you can’t really mess them up. Unless you soak them for too long which renders them pretty much useless; they’ll just disintegrate. And then you can continue making jokes while holding a bowl of what looks like, well, nevermind.

Stewed Prunes adapted from The Joy Of Cooking

1 lb dried prunes
1 to 1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 sliced lemon
1 stick cinnamon

Combine the water and dried prunes and bring to the boiling point.  Reduce the heat and gently simmer, about 20 minutes. Add the sugar and cook for an additional 10 minutes. At this point you can add the lemon, cinnamon, a vanilla bean, whatever you’d like.

Matt’s notes: Some recipes recommend soaking your prunes for 24 hours. I’ve had luck with that method and also a disaster. Go figure.

******************************************************************************************************

37414890_0e1ba87c60Tomorrow we’ll be heading back down south to the land of Quilmes, Maté and Parillas with a group of our best friends. We’ve been to Argentina several times before and I’m just as excited to return as I was during our first visit. Buenos Aires is definitely a favorite place of mine.  I’ll do my best to update between working and playing (I have a little assignment)  but you can always follow me on Twitter.  I hope to meet a few of you when I’m there!

Comments

Hi Matt! I love your blog and have been following you for a while. (just found you on twitter too….where i mentioned La Cabrerra restarante en BA. specializing in steaks of course, its in the neightborhood of Palermo and is one of the best i have ever been too. they start off with many many ramekins filled with delicious treats….and a beautiful wine list. claro! (they even serve you wine and champagne on the sidewalk while waiting for your table. (there usually is a crowd) I bet you have been there, but if not, its one you dont want to miss. BA is one of my favorite cities too, thats why i couldnt resist commenting. have fun!

2. Anne says

Matt, only you could make stewed prunes look beautiful in a photo. Have a wonderful vacation and tell us all about it when you get back!

I agree. Prunes are right there, alongside beans, in my knee-jerk reaction of smirking. Cuz bean are magical fruit, you know :)

Hi Matt,
    Reading your blog always makes me smile and laugh!. Your lovely photo has me wanting to try this recipe. Those stewed prunes absolutely glisten in that bowl of oatmeal!

My 1st visit to your blog and what do I find..PRUNES?? I love it. I look forward to furture posts..Thanks Figtreeapps

6. Richard Schillen says

Matt,
    There are some Latin American meat stews that call for prunes. You won’t believe how good they are! Add to the above a prune tart with a dollop of whipped cream, and who is going to complain? Don’t underestimate the little prune, it’s a great item from every vantage.
    Richard

I read about stewed prunes in Molly’s book and though they sounded interesting. Now thanks to your utterly lickable photo, I must put them on my list of things to make soon.

This made me laugh, even though, of course, great entry. My grandmother, 94, just reminded us that she gave us prune juice when we were younger, and that she still has a glass daily. It could be the secret to her longevity. I’ll chance it and NOT try that glass each day…

Come to think of it I recall stewed prunes at the breakfast table at a posh South African B&B a few years ago… the ever-popular prune lives on! Er, I mean, dried plum.

I love ‘em. Even make them at home from time to time (without the added sugar–I find them tasty without). I even toss them into curries. Prunes is good food.

10. Marieta says

I’ve been loving prunes for so so very long…and had been embarassed about the fact.
    Until I moved to France.
    Here you can find prunes stuffed with — figure this — prunes ! drenched in armagnac.
    No one laughs about the prune here.
    Adieu my embarassement.
    Thanks for this daring post !
    M’ta

11. kristina says

I thought I was the only one who had that reaction to prunes. In Italian PRUGNA (prune!) is a plum, indeed, and well I can never bring myself to buy them, but you’re right. They are always on the swank breakfast buffet.

I thought tho, that you were going to say you stopped laughing because you had some at ClubMed then had an accident when you laughed too hard…

I love any type of stewed fruit on my oatmeal. Especially ones with a little tartness. Enjoy Argentina and can’t wait for your updates!

Drenched in armagnac sounds divine as above poster said. But the photo is what draws you in.

I don’t really like oatmeal b/c I don’t indulge in breakfast too much. But, let’s say i trapped myself in an Irish cottage with some peaty scotch (yeah, I’d drink scotch in Ireland, so what!) and got down to writing The Novel. I’d eat oatmeal with stewed prunes in the mornings. It sounds romantic the way you’ve layed out the dish here.

mmmmmmm.

You giggled? seriously? then you need to share that inside joke with Nick, coz you should see how his nose wrinkles and his features formulate themselves into this godawful frown whenever anyone mentions “Prune” … that aside, this looks wonderful and I might try it soon. Promise it is delicious?

15. Catherine says

Thanks for the commentary and recipe on stewed prunes, Matt. I just got back from a 10-day silent Vipassana meditation retreat (www.dhamma.org), where every morning they served us stewed prunes and yes, they are delicious! Wanting to maintain this breakfast habit, now that I am home, a recipe was needed – thanks for the valuable comment that “Since the trip I’ve enjoyed them a few times at home with a variety of spices and I must say you can’t really mess them up.” Good to know; this allows for the culinary creativity to flow a little easier (not to say I wouldn’t experiment regardless!).

Bon appetit.
    Catherine

I never really thought much of prunes until I moved to Geneva. My grandfather always used to joke that what he really wanted was a glass of prune juice, and then laugh. He couldn’t believe that there was a market in the stuff. However, here they are very common and very delicious. I will have to see if I can come up with a sexy prune recipe.

so sexy we had them stewed with red wine on top of marscapone for dessert at our wedding!

18. Caroline says

Hey, I’m French and I don’t get it. What’s so funny about prunes? Can someone explain??

I’ve always muttered an incomprehensible “No, thank you,” to offers of prune dishes, desserts etc. The title made me want to read the rest of what you had to say because I totally agree that prunes are so unsexy. That photo however makes me want to rethink my way of thinking.

So, this looks really tasty on top of oatmeal. Think if I stewed up a bunch, they would keep for gentle reheating in the microwave throughout the week? (I usually do some steel-cut oats for the week – since I get to work at 7am and don’t eat breakfast until I get there) Would love to add these atop my oatmeal each morning!

21. Misha says

Hello Matt,
    Because I don’t have a copy of JOC and I sometimes confuse instructions in recipes, can you please clarify “1/2 sliced lemon” for the Stewed Prunes recipe? I am thinking you mean “1/2 of a lemon, sliced”, rather than “1/2 of a slice of lemon, but I’m not always right. Please clarify.
    Thanks!
    Misha

22. Bill Stein says

I’ve been reading your thoughts on prunes, I’d like to add this:
    Berthillon, who is reputed to have the best ice cream in Paris, offers as one of their many flavors PRUNE! I’v stood in line for about 20 minutes just to get a scoop of their prune ice cream – it was very very good. Of course I like prunes, so if you doubt my word- go to Paris and try it yourself.

23. kris says

My father (92yrs) has been getting constipated because of medications, I told him I remembered his mother’s stewed prunes the cure all, thanks for the recipe I’ll make him some for father’s day!!

24. Alan says

I grew up on stewed prunes on biscuits for breakfast. Still one of my favorite meals. I’ve raised my two boys on the same and they love them too. I find it humorous to make an old recipe out of my grandmother’s Betty Crocker cook book called Prune Cream Pie and bring it to potlucks and such. The looks I get when I tell them what it is LOL! But it is really really good.

Trackbacks