One Year Ago Today

6a00d8345188ea69e200e5535b6d978833-500wi

One year ago today I married Mr. Adam C. Pearson in front of crowds and cameras, tears and smiles, hugs and kisses.

One year ago today I didn’t really know what would happen to those thousands of men and women who stood up for love and dedicated their lives to each other.

One year ago today I thought we’d make progress in California.

One year ago today I never realized the progress would happen to America.

Ladies and gents, I’m not the political type. But I am the loving type. And I love people. And I know that these past twelve months have been simply amazing but also filled with a few roadblocks on our way to true equality.

And you know what? It’s gonna be OK.

I know deep in my heart that equality will prevail for everyone, no matter where you are. And I want you to know that love is love and there’s nothing to fear.

Here’s to my husband, the man I’ve waited my whole life to meet. If you look up happy, chubby, loved and satisfied in the dictionary you’ll see my picture. Thank you for taking care of me.

And here’s a big happy anniversary to the 18,000 who married in California during our quick little window of legality. Here’s to the thousands of couples, gay and straight, all across America who are saying “I Do” and making this country a happier, healthier place.

We’ll get there!

Comments

1. Diane says

What a touching and hopeful post. I know things will change.
    And happy anniversary to both of you – great wedding picture, too!

2. Sarah says

Mazel Tov and a very happy healthy loving delicious anniversary to you both!!!

I’m trying to take your beautiful post to heart. I am not as positive as you nor do I have that kind of faith. Maybe it’s my nature or too much experience living with and seeing so much prejudice and hatred of all kinds. Or maybe it’s just history, I don’t know. But I suspect I’d be a happier calmer person if I had your belief that equality for all was coming.

Thanks for the inspiration, I’m going to try to be more positive and hopeful.

I wish the best for both of you. And I hope to see you in my dictionary soon :-) That was a touching commentary on your hubby. We should all be so lucky.

I’m only drinking tea right now, but I’m toasting your family. Cheers!

3. Matt Bernstein says

Matt –

Congratulations to you and your husband on your anniversary. We live in NYC, but my husband and I were married last year in San Fran and will celebrate our first year in August (right after the birth of our twins in July!) After much angst, you are correct – we will get there – all of us.
    Wishing you and Adam much happiness and a long life together.

The fight continues, but people should make no mistake that we will prevail and settle for nothing less than total equal rights.

Best,
    Matt

Well, that was awfully nice. Happy anniversary! You’ve got to believe that if enough people share stories like this, eventually there will come a point when no one, anywhere, ever, could take issue with two people in love being married to each other.

Hey guys congrats. In honor of my mom and her friend’s similar struggles I’ve personally started offering 25% off for same sex couples until our horrible system is reformed. Maybe it doesn’t change much, but I like to think that maybe it’ll make my straight couples think a bit about how easy they have it…

Paul

Happy Anniversary! I’ve never commented before on this site but your post was so lovely that I couldn’t help myself :)

7. karin says

Bless your heart. You made me cry. I wish everyone could find what you have and make it a marriage if that is what they most want, and I hope that soon it will be available to all. I am not gay, but I want all of my brothers and sisters in the world to be allowed to find their soul mates and have the same happiness I have with my husband of 24 years. You are amazing and I am so happy for you.
    Karin from Augusta, Ga.

8. Lisa A. says

Has it been a year already? Where did the time go. Just as happy for you both today as I was then. Love rocks!!!

Matt, I know this is incredibly late–a note on Twitter certainly doesn’t count–But I wanted to leave a warm, hugs and kisses note that said how happy I am that you found your mister wonderful, that the two of you are married and that the world is better because you two are in it TOGETHER.

I adore you both.

Happy happy Anniversary to you and your husband. Equal rights seems like a simple concept, not sure why some folks have trouble with it.
    Cheers,
    Tracey (proud resident of MA!!!)

YAY! Congratulations! Me and Susie want to send you our best wishes, hope you have a great, fruitful life, together :)

Jessica

12. itsmecissy says

“May you grow old together on the same pillow.”

A blessing given to my husband and I on our Weddng day, 32 years ago.

And you’re right, we’ll get there!

I can’t believe I’ve been reading your blog an entire year! I’m not sure I’ve ever left a comment, but definitely want to wish you a happy anniversary and a wonderful life ahead.

We will get there (even down here in Texas)!