One Year Ago Today

6a00d8345188ea69e200e5535b6d978833-500wi

One year ago today I married Mr. Adam C. Pearson in front of crowds and cameras, tears and smiles, hugs and kisses.

One year ago today I didn’t really know what would happen to those thousands of men and women who stood up for love and dedicated their lives to each other.

One year ago today I thought we’d make progress in California.

One year ago today I never realized the progress would happen to America.

Ladies and gents, I’m not the political type. But I am the loving type. And I love people. And I know that these past twelve months have been simply amazing but also filled with a few roadblocks on our way to true equality.

And you know what? It’s gonna be OK.

I know deep in my heart that equality will prevail for everyone, no matter where you are. And I want you to know that love is love and there’s nothing to fear.

Here’s to my husband, the man I’ve waited my whole life to meet. If you look up happy, chubby, loved and satisfied in the dictionary you’ll see my picture. Thank you for taking care of me.

And here’s a big happy anniversary to the 18,000 who married in California during our quick little window of legality. Here’s to the thousands of couples, gay and straight, all across America who are saying “I Do” and making this country a happier, healthier place.

We’ll get there!

Comments

Great post……. simple but powerful!

Congratulations and here’s wishing you and your husband many many more happy years!

Happy Anniversary to You and Adam! A very inspiring story indeed. May you share more love and live life to the fullest!

3. Heidi says

Well said, Matt. Happy Anniversary!
    My husband and I celerated our 9th anniversary on Monday, and I hope you’ll make it to your 9th and beyond with the “legalities” in tact. Kudos and Best Wishes.

4. Bri says

Happy anniversary to you guys! These are interesting/difficult times we live in, but I know that one day soon people will figure out that love is love, no matter the form. Hugs to you both.

5. Dawn in CA says

Happy, happy anniversary! One of my favorite lines from this post: “love is love and there’s nothing to fear.” So true.

“happy, chubby, loved and satisfied”

I am adding this phrase to my lexicon immediately!!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I got married on June 17th too – we are celebrating our 8th. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories with us!

8. Camille says

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for sharing your story. I share a birthday today and so I think it’s an especially fine day to have an anniversary. Love WILL conquer fear and ignorance with time and hard work. Best wishes to you all the todays to come.

9. Sare says

Happy Anniversary! I think you may have just single-handedly restored my belief in Love! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, you will get there! We are all disappointed with what happened in CA, but it will happen! Great post and happy anniversary!

11. Laura says

Very deeply touching.
    I wish you both a truly blissful anniversary and many more to come!

Happy anniversary to two of the most incredible people I’ve ever met. Your love is inspiring and your relationship the kind we should all aspire to. XOXO

Happy anniversary! So happy you’re still married, so sad you’re one of so few in our state. But I have great optimism, because Love does conquer all, doesn’t it?

Happy anniversary!

When I get pissed off about Prop 8, I try and focus on the words of Dr. King:
    “Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. ”

We’ll get there. Soon, I hope.

We adore you both!

And when people dwell in fear, instead of love, all we have to do is show them the photograph of you two. Eventually, we’ll change the minds of people who are narrow and ruled by terror. You two just keep on loving.

Happy Anniversary!

“Happy Anniversary!” to two of the kindest, most talented, and dear people we know and are lucky enough to call friends. We love you guys and are so happy for you. We carry on your call for equality and hope someday soon the laws will be set straight. Actually set not just for straights! Love will prevail over the ignorance.

17. sabe says

happy anniversary matt! thank you for the lovely post, it made me tear up over my morning tea! congrats.

Happy Anniversary! I am so glad you found each other. I, too, am part of the 18,000 same-sex couples still married in CA. As a native Californian, I am distressed by what’s happened here, but I am so proud of what’s happened in other states as a result. Yes, love will prevail.

Happy Anniversary Matt and Adam!

Perfect words … congrats again!

Happy Anniversary! I don’t even understand how Prop8 passed… I thought that California was less retrograde and more open than that!

Cheers,