Summer Fest Week 2: Fruits From Trees!

This is week two in our amazingly fun Summer Fest! Thanks to everyone who left comments, all your amazing suggestions and tips have been so priceless! For more on how this all works visit my post last week here and remember to leave comments here and on your blog as well as the other hosts. And feel free to grab the Summer Fest icon, I made it for you!

Picture 1One of the world’s greatest rap songs ever written happens to include a micro-ode to summer’s most delightful gems:

“Take a Peach
Take  a Plum
Take A Piece Of Bubble Gum
No Peach
No Plum
No Piece Of…
Supersonic”

–JJ Fad’s Supersonic, 1988.

While I do love bubblegum and Supersonic, I just happen to love peaches and plums a wee bit more. And as part of Summer Fest 2009 we’re talking about stone fruit–all those delicious summer peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots, as well as the recent hybrids like angelcots and pluots and all the other ots.

summerfest-badgeI am blessed with a mini-grove of fruit trees planted by Adam’s grandmother back in the late 1950s. The nectarine and apricot trees hang out all year long, keep the giant orange tree company until their summer shift begins. They clock in, put on some leaves, and get to work churning out buds and later fat ripe fruit that I can barely keep up with. When we are up to our eyeballs in stone fruit (I’m sure it’s a ploy to distract us), they quickly sneak off, clock out and take an 11-month break. Heck, they deserve it.

Because of the abundance they produce I’ve been able to indulge in a variety of stone fruit recipes. I’ve made cobblers, cakes, ice creams, sorbets, salsas, marinades, just about anything that I felt was in line with my skill level. Some were successes (cobblers and ice creams) while others were failures (a few salsas just never got the balance right). But if I need to use a large amount of nectarines or apricots I can think of nothing better than cobblers. Or even ice cream which never really lasts that long at my home anyway. And I know what you’re thinking right now, you want to tell me about canning and preserving. Go ahead, I’ll let you. But I’ve never canned a thing in my life and the thought is quite daunting.

Maybe next year?

mattbites_apricots

Like last year I’ve made a few cobblers as well as my pal David’s Apricot Ice Cream. And I love this ice cream. Creamy, rich, with that slight tang (is that what it is?) of the apricots. And just so you know, this ice cream makes amazing milkshakes.

mattbites_apricot_ice_creamDavid says if you’re lucky enough to find a bounty of fresh summer apricots then you must take advantage of them–their season is far too short. Next year I’m inviting you over and you can have as many as you want!

Apricot Ice Cream from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

1 pound squishy-ripe fresh apricots (10 to 16, depending on size)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
3 drops almond extract
a few drops freshly squeezed lemon juice

Slice open the apricots and remove the pits, then cut each apricot into sixths. Cook the apricot pieces with the water in a covered medium, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until tender, about 8 minutes, and stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar until dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.

Once cool, purée the apricots and any liquid in a blender or food processor until smooth. Taste a big spoonful; if there are any small fibers, press the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove them. Stir in the cream, almond extract, and lemon juice.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Other Summer Fest Posts:

Jaden’s amazing salad recipe with a few of my personal favorite ingredients

Margaret’s Clafoutis, another favorite of mine that is usually gone in about 6 minutes

Todd & Diane’s Peach Cooler which makes me ask “Where’s The Booze?”

Marilyn creates a Ginger Peach Pandowdy and you’ll want to check it out!

Stephanie from Wasabimon’s does a blog swap with Charmian and the result? A Peach Ice Cream Recipe that looks amazing! And the other half of the swap is here!

Other stone fruit posts from matt:

Peach and Raspberry Cobbler

Cobblerfornia Dreamin’

Comments

Mattttttttt!!! I’m now going to have Supersonic stuck in my head all day long! aaaaccckkkk! Wow, check them shoulderpads!

I’m loving that ice cream, and also that fancy row of little orange dots (apricots?) that set off the collaborator posts so fancy-pantsy. Aren’t we special?

I have to just say out loud, I am *so glad* that we all managed to get this off the ground. I am meeting the best people because of it, coming to visit me with tales of how they love one of the other blogs in the group and so on.

Thanks, Matt, for the logo and the continuing inspiration. I promise (as is obvious) not to attempt photo photography as my next career, so you are safe from me at least. xoxox

Ice cream! Why, I’d never think of missing out on standing near a HOT oven for dessert in summer. Honestly, the things people invent. Matt, this ice cream looks fabulous, as do those gorgeous apricots, and the shoulder pads, and everything you do at this beautiful blog of yours. Thanks for hosting, and for bringing so many people together. You’re the best.

I love all of David’s Ice-Cream recipes, they are always delicious. I am so sad because all the apricots in Pennsylvania froze this spring so there are very few available to us in NY!

Here is my Summer Fest entry this week, I make this Simple Almond Cake with tree fruits all the time. In this example it is made with rhubarb (not a tree fruit), but I like it with chopped plums, peaches or apples. http://www.thenaptimechef.com/2009/05/napping-in-rhubarb-patch.html

Looks absolutely unbelievable! I have a weird relationship with apricots…I love the flavor but can’t abide by the texture. Therefore to enjoy them I must bake/ broil/grill/puree them. Or in this case, cream them! I do adore apricot jam as well, but I understand if you’re not into it. Canning can be hot, sweaty work in a summer kitchen!

I’ve never made apricot ice cream before. But now, I think I need to go make sure my ice cream bowl is in the freezer. We’re still experiencing temps in the 110+ range and ice cream just might make it easier to survive! Thank you!

7. Jennifer says

I think people are often intimidated by canning, but I’ve been doing it for years, and it might be sweaty, messy work, but it’s not difficult if you know the basic procedures. You really don’t need any special equipment for high sugar/high acid canning such as jams and pickles–as long as you have a pot deep enough to cover the jars in water when you boil them after filling, and a pair of plastic-coated tongs to handle the jars, you’re fine!

Last week I made a Spiced Apricot Butter and a Peach Chutney–both were To. Die. For.

And, really, the best part about canning is that you’ll be able to take those gorgeous summer flavors into the fall and winter, and they always make lovely gifts.

Matt, I thought I was going to be getting another liquid lunch idea, ah well. By all accounts this recipe is the business and will keep my missus happy at least! Love the tune too btw.
    In honor of Fruit….. week, I got some amazing pluots and plums so here’s my entry.
    as well as something I made earlier (as they say)

One day last week, when it was insanely hot, and we were cleaning up after service (I’m a culinary school student) a pastry student was making ice cream and offered us all a taste.

Let me tell you, there is nothing, nothing better when you are hot than a heaping spoonful of icy heaven.

You know, I have an ice cream maker at home. And I saw gorgeous apricots at the market. And …

Well, you know where this is going!

Cheers.

Great ideas from everyone! And I whole-heartedly agree there is nothing more purely delicious than fresh fruit ice cream.

So, I don’t have a blog post on this, but back when I was working at a restaurant we had a wine dinner and I made Grilled Peaches with Bourbon Butter sauce and Ice Cream Rocks. Super simple and a welcome end to a summer barbeque:

Make a sauce with a 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 cup bourbon and 1 cup brown sugar (just simmer in a saucepan), roll some scoops of ice cream in toasted pecans and re-freeze them, grill some peaches and then put it all together. Voila!

Canning is not that hard, just time consuming. And by coincidence it is the subject of my entry into SummerFest:

I recounted the PeachFest celebration my mother and I conducted with a day long canning extravaganza. You can read about it and see the results here:

Can’t wait for next month.

DELICIOUS! Another brilliant and beautiful dish not just from David, but from your garden.
    Bravo for apricot trees! We’ve been wanting one so badly, just need to find the room. Save some for us next year!

I am so jealous. I would give my eye teeth to have fresh fruit right from the tree any time I wanted. Care to share?

Lucky you with your apricot tree!!!! I wish I had one too, but living in Paris, I don’t know how it would work..
    So I’m still buying my apricots at the market or the grocery store.. sometimes they’re delicious and some other times not so good but never mind, there’s always a bunch of ideas to use them in a dessert.
    Here are 2 of them:

I am such a sucker for homemade fruit ice cream – I can’t get enough of it!

Speaking of stone fruits and ice cream, last summer I made a peach pie with Roasted Peach Ice Cream – http://tinyurl.com/l4umn9 (This summer I tried the same with roasted plums – strongly recommend it!)

And another of my favourite recipes of all time is brilliant made with any number of stone fruits – Plum Browned Butter Bliss – http://tinyurl.com/l8b9ry – is fruit topped with a crusty, golden cakey topping that’s better than cobbler, easier than pie! And would be PERFECT topped with apricot ice cream!

I never tried apricot gelato or ice cream before but have just added it to my “To Do” list while apricots are still plentiful. That looks delicious and so refreshing!

One of my favorite desserts that is too easy to call a recipe is my Apricot Tart at http://tinyurl.com/l82uun

Another summer favorite using peaches is my Almond Stuffed Peach recipe at http://tinyurl.com/lxk9jd

You just HAVE to love summer fruit!

Deborah

17. Julie says

Wow, I wish I could find some delicious apricots out here. Nectarines are working just fine for me…I baked a nectarine frangipane tart today!

Trackbacks

1. […] … The Apricot Cupcake Recipe. To come up with the apricot cupcake recipe, I started off with …Summer Fest Week 2 is here. Join in on the celebration, won't …of the apricots. And just so you know, this ice cream makes amazing … Slice open the apricots and […]