Green Goddess A La Mateo

Verde-Goddess-Blog

In case you’re wondering who Mateo is, that’s me. That’s my name in Spanish, a title only used at home by my grandparents and when I did something terribly wrong as a child. I’m sure you can hear it now: “MATEOOOOOOOOOO!”  For some reason it has more zing that just “oh Matt, quit falling out of 2 story windows and take off your sister’s dresses while you’re at it!”

With that out of the way I can proceed to this snappy little dressing and dip I have been calling Diosa Verde. Diosa Verde is nothing more than a literal translation of “Green Goddess”, that tangy creamy dip of yesterday that has been back in vogue for the past few years. But this isn’t just a literally translation of the recipe, no sirreee, but Green Goddess with a Mexican twist.

Gardens are in full swing, vegetables are at their summer peak and I wanted something a bit different for crudité. I had this idea for latinizing the dip when I kept dipping carrots and celery into Crema Mexicana I kept tucked away in the fridge. With its super thick consistency, Crema Mexicana is perfect to have on hand for topping just about anything that would use sour cream or even creme fraiche: on baked potatoes, in sauces, tacos, you catch my drift. My mind began to think of Green Goddess dressing made with it but I didn’t stop there. I added a pickled jalapeño (the vinegar would give it more tang), some chopped cilantro and voila! My dressing is still cool and creamy with those herby notes Green Goddess is known for but with a slight twist. Now I can’t wait to make another batch and use it in other dishes.

Matt’s Green Goddess Dressingsmall-veggies
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup crema mexicana
1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
zest of 1/2 lime
2 green onions, roughly chopped, both green and white part of the onion
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 pickled jalapeño pepper, seeded
salt and pepper to taste

Put all the ingredients in blender and puree on high for about 1 minute, pour in bowl and refrigerate for  2 hours or up to 3 days. Best served cold or room temperature.

For the veggies: use whatcha like! I serve raw green beans, little carrots, celery, radishes, endive leaves, cauliflower, cucumbers, asparagus, yellow or red bellpeppers, etc.

Comments

Sounds perfect for Summer! I just saw Chef Ryan Scott do a version that included avocado too. Yours sounds a bit lighter.

YUM! I love green goddess! I wonder if it would be good in mushroom caps? Or grilled portobella sandwich topping? nom nom nom

What a great twist on the classic! I have everything on hand to make this and am stopping by the Farmer’s market at lunch. Thanks!

Me guuuuusta la creama mexicana…. I miss all my mexican grocers in L.A. who sold it fresh and by the pound. In Manjatan it on comes pre-package, maybe I’ll venture to Brooklyn or Queens and find some?

I’m gonna make La Diosa Verde a la Mateo for my next dinner party. Thanks for the inspiration Matt!

Oh, I’ve been lost in thought wondering what to contribute to a friend’s party this weekend. This dressing is a goddess send!

Oh, you. Taking that 5-a-Day thing to a whole new level.

This is totally inspired and sounds completely delicious. I’ve never tried the Crema Mexicana of which you speak–will keep an eye out the next time I’m out at my favorite little market!

great presentation of the standard crudité platter…each veggie is a star and very appealing. P.S. Me gustó el cuento de su nombre.

This sounds divine…nothing like taking some healthy veggies and dousing them in the latin version of green goddess.

I just love you. Is that ok?

I love anything with a Mexican twist. Think I’ll go to the Farmers Market Saturday morning and give this a try. I can find the Crema Mexicana, but I’ll have to look for some tarragon vinegar. Do you think some other type of vinegar might do?

10. andrea says

yes please! this is the best recipe ever matt, aside from you grandma’s albondigas!!! please make a cookbook soon!!!

I love improvising salad dressings, dips, etc. with whatever I have on hand. I made an “Indian Goddess” dressing a few months ago that turned out really well (using yogurt, cilantro & curry), but this looks great too. I can’t ever get enough cilantro. My boyfriend always buys crema and then never uses it up, so now I have an excuse to appropriate it for my own devices!

12. juef says

hi,
    i like your blog very much.
    WARNING!
    Please don’t eat RAW green beans – only cooked!
    raw green/yellow beans are toxic.

WOW. This looks divine. But I have a silly, rookie question for you. Crema Mexicana? Can I find this in the store or do I need to hit up a specialty market?

14. Matt says

Molly, you should be able to find it at a latin or ethnic market. Look for mexican cheeses and it should be there, fingers crossed! It’s in a jar or container as it’s a very liquidy cheese. Think sour cream.

Oh boy, when I’m in Mexico I can’t stop eating everything, and YES, read, everything with crema (alpura it’s my choice): frijoles refritos, sincronizadas, tacos, huevos revueltos. Seriously, my Mom never ever rans out of crema, or it will be National Crisis chez mes parents.

Ah, and I can so imagine your Mom yelling at you: Mateoooo! hijo del demonio!! Ven para aca, condenado chamaco!…or wait, that was My Mom? :) (Mexican Moms!..)

besos

Oh yum! crema…mmmmm.
    My little nephew is named Mateo and I’m sure he can relate to the sound of his name you describe. Even if he grows up to be a Matt, he will always be Mateo to me and if he knows what’s good for him he’ll always listen to his Tia Tricia ;)

17. Kim says

I keep seeing this salad dressing, and it sounds so interesting and declicious, will have to give it a try. Your photos are spectacular by the way. Love your website.

Trackbacks

1. [...] any sort of gardening witch craft can come and share their delight with others who love it also. …Matt's Green Goddess Dressing | MattBites.comMatt mexicanizes (is that a word?) his Green Goddess with dressing with Crema Mexicana. ¡Que [...]