Food Styling Classes

Food-Styling-Class-Intro

Ok, this is something I’m truly excited about and hope you will be too! I’ve teamed up with my dear friends Denise Vivaldo and Cindie Flannigan, Food Styling Veterans, and created our first Food Styling Class and Photography Workshop to be held at my photography studio in downtown Long Beach, California.

This is from the release:

On Saturday we concentrate on using professional styling techniques to:

• cook for the camera
  • plate food to show it at its best
  • garnish effectively
  • use only edible styling methods
  • hold and refresh food

On Sunday we focus on digital photography and how to improve your photos through:

• camera angle and selective focus
  • shooting with available light
  • the use of fill cards and reflectors
  • when to supplement available light
  • the use of props

Many of you have taken Denise’s class in the past and it’s always such a great time. On occasion I’ll show up, speak a little bit about food photography and art direction and blogging, but for this I’ll be there the entire time as well as leading Sunday’s photo activities. I’m so very excited to meet everyone and discuss the art of food photography and styling.  It’s for all levels and for those that find themselves needing to not only write about food but how to photograph it as well. Plus it will be a heck of a lot of fun!

Head over to Denise’s blog to read more about it and click here to download more information about the class. If you have any questions please feel free to leave it in the comments section or send me an email!

Comments

Wow! What a great idea! I hope you have classes like this in the future. I just bought a dSLR and have no idea how to use it yet, but someday I’ll feel confidant enough to do something like this!

Oh, if only I lived anywhere near CA I would be there in a heartbeat. I love your styling and photography and dream of having a fraction of your talent. Maybe it will be such a success you will take your show on the road!?!

I so love your food blog, it was definitely on the insipiration list for having a go at doing it for my company. We just started one up hopefully it will be inspirational like yours is one day!

If only Long Beach, CA were closer to NJ. How sad for me – I’d love to learn to take better food photos at home where I have crappy available light and never remember to use a bounce card or get creative in the reflector department (hello – aluminum foil!?! – I just thought of that this very moment – DUH!!).

Soooo excited for this — just faxed in my reg form. What an honor and a privilege to meet and work alongside you, Denise, and Cindie. Can’t wait.

6. Maria says

I would like to be there, but I’m from Spain!!! What do you think about coming to Europe?

7. Sarah says

Hey Matt,
    I’d like to know if you’ll be offering any food styling courses around next spring. I live in the Cairo so I might be going to NYC to take a couple of food styling courses and I think coming to LA for your course would be a great addition.

Thanks;)

8. Sheila Hanson says

Hello,
    I’m registered for the class and would like to know which lenses to bring to the class (not that I have all that many). I’m flying in from Portland, OR and would prefer to travel as light as possible.
    Looking forward to the class, Sheila Hanson

9. Angela Bax says

Would love to attend one of your courses – but am from South Africa – so would have to plan my next USA trip around your schedule – any chance you can forward a list of future dates so that I (and many others from far afield) can incorporate this unique experience in a visit?

10. Matt says

I’d love to make a stop in Houston, it’d be fantastic! I’m originally from Galveston so it’s always nice to visit :)

Trackbacks

1. […] Food Styling Workshop In Long Beach, California | Mattbites.Com This weekend event, held November 7 & 8, 2009 is geared towards food writers and bloggers and is split between food styling techniques on day 1 and photography on the 2nd day. This is from the release: … Categories: Cameras for Less Comments are closed. Book Link Download: Mcgraw Hill Shoot Like Pro Digital Photography RSS feed […]