Spicy Black Bean Chipotle Dip

by Matt on September 15, 2009

black-bean-dip

I’m not quite sure I’m ready to give up my summer. It’s already obvious the days are growing shorter and I know cooler weather is right around the corner. In a last ditch effort to hold on to summer I had a little get-together, almost as a way to say goodbye to all that the warm summer gives us and hello to new experiences, new meals and new recipes. Ok, so maybe it’s not that bad after all!

This is a Spicy Black Bean Chipotle Dip that I absolutely love. I wanted to make something that that be served as a dip but also be flexible. And mostly because I wanted to find a way to use the vegetarian chorizo that I love so much. If you’ve never tried it please do. It’s packed with so much flavor and cooks the exact same way a Mexican pork chorizo does. I don’t have to tell you that it’s less in saturated fat and cholesterol and for a boy like me who has to be careful not to morph into El Gordito that means something. But since I’m driven by flavor I still feel like I’m eating chorizo.

(and FYI: we’ve prepared this recipe side by side with both pork and vegetarian chorizo and you can’t tell the difference. Take that!)

Oh, and another reason I love this recipe so much is because it’s not just perfect as a dip but also spread on tortillas or bread for tortas or cemitas. The chipotle flavor adds mild heat, the texture of the beans holds things together and it’s definitely something you can use in a variety of ways. You can make your own black beans if you have them but canned black beans work perfectly and saves time.

Spicy Black Bean Chipotle Dip

2 15-oz cans of black beans (1 can drained, 1 can undrained)
6 oz pork or vegetarian chorizo
1 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon coriander
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 whole chipotle in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
juice of 1 lime

Place 1 whole can of the black beans with liquid in a food processor with chipotle and 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat and cook onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add all spices and garlic to the onions and cook 1 more minute until fragrant. Remove from heat and add onion spice mixture to the food processor with the beans. Process until smooth.

In the same skillet heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium high heat and cook the chorizo until slightly crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining can of black beans and ½ cup of water, stir to combine. Immediately add pureed bean mixture and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stiry in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, makes about 3 cups. Can be served cold or room temperature. Garnish with long cilantro sprigs or lime wedges. Aye que purdy!

{ 1 trackback }

bean dip - StartTags.com
February 2, 2010 at 3:28 pm

meleyna September 15, 2009 at 6:49 am

I make something very similar to this, but without the chorizo (is there a particular brand you use?). I am a cumin junkie–it’s probably the dirty old man smell. Nothing says fiesta like BO! ;)

Anne September 15, 2009 at 8:39 am

I’m so glad to hear that you like the veggie chorizo. I’m vegetarian and have been wanting to try it, but I wasn’t sure if it was any good – so if it Matt says it’s good, then it must REALLY be!

BTW, *gorgeous* photo.

MollyCookie September 15, 2009 at 8:52 am

That looks delicious. Great picture. I will definitely try this out!

Chris Mower September 15, 2009 at 8:53 am

I’ve got tons of black beans to use up so I’m glad to have a new recipe to try, though I’ve never had vegetable chorizo; do you recommend a specific brand?

kitchenbeard September 15, 2009 at 9:41 am

I bet this would also work quite well as the base of a nice black bean soup.

Steve September 15, 2009 at 10:28 am

uh… YUM!

Kelsey/TheNaptimeChef September 15, 2009 at 10:56 am

Mmmm, this makes me think I have a mexican-themed food night coming up…

belmontmedina September 15, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Oooh, now I am determined to find veggie chorizo in DC.

Marvin September 15, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I, too would love to know of a good vegetarian chorizo. There are many kinds here in my community due to the huge Seventh Day Adventist population. Thx

Adrienne September 15, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Hold. The. Phone. Where do you get vegetarian chorizo? Well, I’m on the other coast, so, what’s the name of the brand so I can try to find it online? My bf is totally pork averse and I’m always looking for reasonable substitutes…

Jackie September 15, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Scrumptious!! Thanks for doing the veg version trial run for us :)
I’m also not ready to let go of summer…., particularly summer recipes!

Adrienne, I get soy chorizo from Trader Joe’s. Pretty tasty!!

Tricia September 15, 2009 at 4:38 pm

I love that you use canned beans in this recipe and I agree with Jackie, the TJ’s soy chorizo is darn tasty. Can’t wait to try this – Thanks!

Chris September 15, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Oh, I’ve been eyeing the Soyrizo at the grocery store for years now but never had the nerve to toss it into the cart; this will be my breakthrough! Thanks for posting your recipe Matt, I’m definitely going to give it a go.

BTW, I’ll be attending your food styling/photography class in November and I’m really looking forward to it. Haven’t published my blog yet but I’m pulling it together!

lisa (dandysugar) September 15, 2009 at 5:39 pm

I always eye that vegetarian chorizo at the grocery store but have yet to try it. Yummy flavors, sounds like a great recipe.

ayan September 16, 2009 at 6:05 am

Trader Joe’s has a vegetarian chorizo. (The ones in Georgia used to have chicken chorizo, which was my FAVORITE, but they stopped carrying it and won’t stock it despite my repeated whining to management. ;-)

Cheryl Arkison September 16, 2009 at 6:20 am

Yum! I have some chorizo in the freezer that is waiting for a cause. Found it.

The Italian Dish September 16, 2009 at 8:11 am

Wow, I’ve never heard of vegetarian chorizo – I’m going to have to try to find that. Looks great.

Diane Cooper September 18, 2009 at 7:33 am

Hey Matt, I have just stumbled upon your blog recently- in a word- YUM! Can’t wait to try this black bean dip- wiping the drool off the keyboard as we speak!

Daniel September 19, 2009 at 9:28 am

Oh, man, that looks so good. I can’t wait to try it, but I’ll have to wait until I’m back in the States to get some of that yummy Soyrizo. Or I suppose I can make it myself.

Madeleine September 20, 2009 at 7:36 am

What brand of chips do you buy? They look delicious! Or do you make them and want to fork over the recipe?! :o)

Tracy September 20, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Made this for a simple Sunday night dinner. Delicious and SPICY (maybe a smaller chipotle next time…)!

Thanks, Matt, for enthusiastically promoting the vegetarian chorizo, or I might have just skipped over this recipe entirely. I did strike out at a few places before finding the soy chorizo at TJ’s.

I garnished the dip with pepitas and might try some of the leftover dip in a sort of riff on dirty rice. Thanks !

Florentina September 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm

The black bean dip sounds too delicious!

Chris September 21, 2009 at 11:42 pm

So…I made a double recipe of this yesterday Matt, but didn’t have the chipotle so I added more chili powder for the heat. Used it as a filling for burritos and it was great!

I must say, I am impressed with the Soyrizo and will definitely be using it in other recipes. Thanks again for the nudge towards the soy version, so nice not to have to mop up all that grease with paper towels!

Jean-Michel Paris October 17, 2009 at 8:16 am

Regarding the similarity between your pork chorizo and Soyrizo, well… maybe you could try changing your provider of chorizo?

recipejohn November 9, 2009 at 1:55 am

That’s really fabulous, i am sure gonna give it a try and satiate my taste buds, thank you.

server jobs providence November 19, 2009 at 12:41 am

A spicy dip not just for taccoes, good thing you have shared this. I have been lloking for a dip with a twist because most of the family loves hot dishes,now I have hot dishes with hot dip too.

Melissa December 21, 2009 at 5:40 pm

I’ve been following your blog for quite a while and enjoying your wealth of good recipes. When Foodista announced that they are going to publish the best food blogs in a full color book that will be published by Andrews McMeel Publishing Fall 2010, I naturally thought of you. This recipe would be a good submission! You can enter here: http://www.foodista.com/blogbook/submit

Cheers,
Melissa

melissa@foodista.com
Editor and Community Developer
Foodista.com — The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit

Web Designing, SEO Hyderabad May 3, 2010 at 4:21 am

Great Dish. thank you for sharing.