Spicy Black Bean Chipotle Dip

black-bean-dip

I’m not quite sure I’m ready to give up my summer. It’s already obvious the days are growing shorter and I know cooler weather is right around the corner. In a last ditch effort to hold on to summer I had a little get-together, almost as a way to say goodbye to all that the warm summer gives us and hello to new experiences, new meals and new recipes. Ok, so maybe it’s not that bad after all!

This is a Spicy Black Bean Chipotle Dip that I absolutely love. I wanted to make something that that be served as a dip but also be flexible. And mostly because I wanted to find a way to use the vegetarian chorizo that I love so much. If you’ve never tried it please do. It’s packed with so much flavor and cooks the exact same way a Mexican pork chorizo does. I don’t have to tell you that it’s less in saturated fat and cholesterol and for a boy like me who has to be careful not to morph into El Gordito that means something. But since I’m driven by flavor I still feel like I’m eating chorizo.

(and FYI: we’ve prepared this recipe side by side with both pork and vegetarian chorizo and you can’t tell the difference. Take that!)

Oh, and another reason I love this recipe so much is because it’s not just perfect as a dip but also spread on tortillas or bread for tortas or cemitas. The chipotle flavor adds mild heat, the texture of the beans holds things together and it’s definitely something you can use in a variety of ways. You can make your own black beans if you have them but canned black beans work perfectly and saves time.

Spicy Black Bean Chipotle Dip

2 15-oz cans of black beans (1 can drained, 1 can undrained)
6 oz pork or vegetarian chorizo
1 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon coriander
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 whole chipotle in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
juice of 1 lime

Place 1 whole can of the black beans with liquid in a food processor with chipotle and 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium high heat and cook onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add all spices and garlic to the onions and cook 1 more minute until fragrant. Remove from heat and add onion spice mixture to the food processor with the beans. Process until smooth.

In the same skillet heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium high heat and cook the chorizo until slightly crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining can of black beans and ½ cup of water, stir to combine. Immediately add pureed bean mixture and cook over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stiry in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, makes about 3 cups. Can be served cold or room temperature. Garnish with long cilantro sprigs or lime wedges. Aye que purdy!

Comments

I make something very similar to this, but without the chorizo (is there a particular brand you use?). I am a cumin junkie–it’s probably the dirty old man smell. Nothing says fiesta like BO! ;)

2. Anne says

I’m so glad to hear that you like the veggie chorizo. I’m vegetarian and have been wanting to try it, but I wasn’t sure if it was any good – so if it Matt says it’s good, then it must REALLY be!

BTW, *gorgeous* photo.

I’ve got tons of black beans to use up so I’m glad to have a new recipe to try, though I’ve never had vegetable chorizo; do you recommend a specific brand?

I, too would love to know of a good vegetarian chorizo. There are many kinds here in my community due to the huge Seventh Day Adventist population. Thx

Hold. The. Phone. Where do you get vegetarian chorizo? Well, I’m on the other coast, so, what’s the name of the brand so I can try to find it online? My bf is totally pork averse and I’m always looking for reasonable substitutes…

I love that you use canned beans in this recipe and I agree with Jackie, the TJ’s soy chorizo is darn tasty. Can’t wait to try this – Thanks!

7. Chris says

Oh, I’ve been eyeing the Soyrizo at the grocery store for years now but never had the nerve to toss it into the cart; this will be my breakthrough! Thanks for posting your recipe Matt, I’m definitely going to give it a go.

BTW, I’ll be attending your food styling/photography class in November and I’m really looking forward to it. Haven’t published my blog yet but I’m pulling it together!

8. ayan says

Trader Joe’s has a vegetarian chorizo. (The ones in Georgia used to have chicken chorizo, which was my FAVORITE, but they stopped carrying it and won’t stock it despite my repeated whining to management. ;-)

9. Diane Cooper says

Hey Matt, I have just stumbled upon your blog recently- in a word- YUM! Can’t wait to try this black bean dip- wiping the drool off the keyboard as we speak!

Oh, man, that looks so good. I can’t wait to try it, but I’ll have to wait until I’m back in the States to get some of that yummy Soyrizo. Or I suppose I can make it myself.

11. Madeleine says

What brand of chips do you buy? They look delicious! Or do you make them and want to fork over the recipe?! :o)

12. Tracy says

Made this for a simple Sunday night dinner. Delicious and SPICY (maybe a smaller chipotle next time…)!

Thanks, Matt, for enthusiastically promoting the vegetarian chorizo, or I might have just skipped over this recipe entirely. I did strike out at a few places before finding the soy chorizo at TJ’s.

I garnished the dip with pepitas and might try some of the leftover dip in a sort of riff on dirty rice. Thanks !

13. Chris says

So…I made a double recipe of this yesterday Matt, but didn’t have the chipotle so I added more chili powder for the heat. Used it as a filling for burritos and it was great!

I must say, I am impressed with the Soyrizo and will definitely be using it in other recipes. Thanks again for the nudge towards the soy version, so nice not to have to mop up all that grease with paper towels!

14. Jean-Michel Paris says

Regarding the similarity between your pork chorizo and Soyrizo, well… maybe you could try changing your provider of chorizo?

I’ve been following your blog for quite a while and enjoying your wealth of good recipes. When Foodista announced that they are going to publish the best food blogs in a full color book that will be published by Andrews McMeel Publishing Fall 2010, I naturally thought of you. This recipe would be a good submission! You can enter here: http://www.foodista.com/blogbook/submit

Cheers,
    Melissa

melissa@foodista.com
    Editor and Community Developer
    Foodista.com — The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit

Trackbacks

1. […] beans with green chilies. 8 oz package light cream cheese, softened. 3 Tbs light sour cream …Spicy Black Bean Chipotle Dip | MattBites.comSpicy Black Bean Chipotle Dip. by Matt on September 15, 2009. I'm not quite sure I'm ready to give […]