Food Truck Haiku

food-trucks

Sip no haterade
But speak from heart and mind
About mobile food

Under the spotlight
And on every top ten list
Popping up daily

I miss the days when
I dined with chairs and roof
And my food stood still

Comments

Taking slow food to a new dimension: a standstill. I agree.

Fortunately here in the boonies, there’s nobody driving anything around (except the milk tankers that pick up the harvest down the road at the various dairies, or me with my colander and basket out in the vegetable garden).

I’ve never tasted fried trendy, I have to admit. What kind of wine do you serve with that? : )

Even from over here in Paris (and here, it’s a concept that doesn’t even exist yet) , the media buzz on food trucks is getting nearly deafening…

Our local paper just printed their “Bargain Bites” edition with a number of “mobile selections”. Paying $7.75 to eat a sandwich in an industrial warehouse parking lot is not the same as eating in a restaurant. I’m sorry so many mom and pop places fell off the list to make room for the hip and trendy spots.

We’re counting everything sold in an airstream trailer in this hypefest, yes?

I do get how convenient it is for construction crews to get something hot midday from trucks but seeing as I don’t do construction work, I’ll happily take my meals sans the street noise and exhaust, thankyouverymuch.

5. CarolSB says

This is a fun game, Matt.

Enjoy how Matt writes
    clarity honesty love
    write him a haiku

Remember from school? 5 – 7 – 5

This is a fun game, Matt.

Enjoy how Matt writes
    clarity honesty love
    write him a haiku

Remember from school? 5 – 7 – 5
    BTW I love your blog!

The only Mobile Food I eat is what I pack in my lunchbox……and it is all home made. ewwww……If I don’t wanna feed myself packaged, processed stuff why would I go with food from a truck served with a side of exhaust???

8. Sarah says

I don’t want to grab a paper bag full of duck confit or pan seared scallops from a food truck and then try and eat or even enjoy that while sitting on some stairs outside my office on a busy weekday surrounded by cell phone squackers.

But I love a great authentic taco, or a bowl of spicy chili, or a perfect hot pretzel from a well maintained well staffed food truck. It’s quick, easy, delicious, and it can even be healthy and well prepared depending on the truck of choice. And some days that really works for me. I can find a great sunny spot to plop down and enjoy the outdoors for half an hour while not eating a boring sack lunch from home which I made at @ 6 am from odd leftovers or waiting in line and paying a lot for a restaurant meal which is very time consuming.

I have always loved street food. Wherever I am in the world I find something new to try and sure, some things I wouldn’t dare eat. Some street food no matter how good it looks or smells I won’t touch in fear for my life :-) But a lot of it is just the kind of authentic delight you can’t find anywhere else. And the experience is always memorable, good or bad, and I love that.

A bowl of perfect Ramen in some tiny jam packed alley in Tokyo slurped down standing up side by side with local office workers, Las Du Falafel in Paris is so good even Parisians will eat one in the park, Samosas in India, tacos in Cali, pretzels in Philly, fish & chips in Edinborough drenched in malt vinegar and sea salt wrapped in newsprint, and so on…A cart, a stall, a market, and even the crazily hip for now foodie truck…. I love it. Sue me ;-)

9. martina says

I agree with Sarah. Why criticize the trucks? The hype will die down soon enough and then the conversation can be about the quality of the food. LA is doing something really interesting right now and a lot of people are involved making exciting and unique food. I think it’s nice that it’s being supported on a local and national level. Especially during the economic downturn it’s cool to see so many eateries opening instead of closing, they’re just being more creative really. Can you imagine what the real estate next to the LACMA would cost for a normal restaurant?

What does bug me is that people act like Kogi invented the food truck, when it’s been a proud Angeleno tradition for a long time before they started tweeting.

Some of these trucks are actually peddling decent food, but at least back away from the fume-spewing vehicle and cop a squat on the sidewalk when you eat. It bothers me to watch people eat while walking or standing… relax! Food is meant to be enjoyed in a leisurely fashion. You’re worth it.

11. Marlene says

Hey Matt,
    Have you considered blogging about Farmers Market Foods, visit a local farmers market and surprise yourself and your readers.

Trackbacks