Mexican Pastries

mattggbox

As I prepare for an upcoming trip down south to Mexico with a few of my brilliantly beautiful blogging besties as well as the one-and-only-Michael-Ruhlman I thought I’d share a photo with you taken by my amazing friend Gabriel Goldberg. A few months ago I asked if he would come over and photograph me with a concept I had. After brainstorming and a little bit of set building our sweet pink wonderland we spent the day laughing, lighting and crawling under tables and c-stands. It was one of the best days I’ve ever had and being in front of the camera is a million times harder than being behind it, trust me on this one.  Luckily for me I was in the hands of an amazing photographer who usually only shoots people that are famous, beautiful, beautiful and famous, beautiful and famous with .0002156% body fat and other assorted gorgeous Hollywood types. It was great to just let go and enjoy the moment and embrace my silly side because folks, you know how incredibly serious I am most of the time, don’t you?

Enjoy my head in a box but know this: if  you sing the SNL song about something else in a box while referencing me I promise to pinch your arm really really really hard like my mom did to me when I started acting up while shopping at Woolworth’s as a child. And then I’ll join you in song.

And just so you know it did take forever to screw my head back on.

Comments

1. Santiago says

I’m still wondering if you used photoshop or you actually own a table with an open hole…Damn, i wanna know.

Btw, thanks to you i managed to cheer up lately when i’ve been kinda down, love your blog.

Hilarious! I’m loving the ‘flying doughnuts’ shot too :) Have a great time in Mexico, can’t wait to hear all about it. xx

3. Matt says

So glad I could raise your spirits a bit!

Actually Santiago it was a piece of foamcore cut with a hole in it on top of two sawhorses. I cut a circle in the fabric, the bottom out of the box and voila!

4. Nikki says

Too funny.

*goes off to sing the you-know-what-in-a-box song*…

Have fun in Mexico! – and drink some champurrado for those of us not lucky enough to get such pleasures. :)

Shut. DOWN! LOVE it, Matt! Three of my favorite things in one photo! Pink pastry boxes, doughnuts, & checkered tablecloths!

Hey… what’s with the guy in the box? ;)

Matt eres mi idolo! I love this arty concept picture; can’t stop but imaging the rest of the goofy pictures of this set.

Y bueno lo del pellizco, mas tu mama y tu acting up in Woolworth….that’s priceless!

ps. a trip to Mexico!…..I’m hating you SO much! :-D

I love this photo. And while some “Hollywood types” are beautiful, to me most of the them look a little wierd. Too much plastic, too much teeth whitener, not enough curves. I miss seeing real people – both beautiful and plain – in movies. In any event, I think you do look beautiful, especially those brown eyes. :)

Wish I was joining you at Food Blogger Camp. I don’t know if this is only an Eastern Mexico thing, but if you hear someone is cooking up Cochinita Pibil, RUN in that direction as fast as you can. It is a meaty, savory, juicy, and altogether sublime dish.

8. Steve says

I love this picture of you so much. I’m jealous of your travel. Be safe and have fun. Can’t wait to see the photos!

9. Felicia says

Somehow referring to you as a concha feels dirty and wrong. It’s promoting the pastriarchy. ;)

Trackbacks

1. [...] tasted like stuffed badhusha but more delicious as the crunchy seeds added a zing to the dish. …Mexican Pastries | MattBites.comMexican Pastries. by Matt on January 5, 2010. As I prepare for an upcoming trip down south to Mexico [...]