Cheese Plate Tips (and a sneak peak inside my studio!)

by Matt on February 4, 2010

Well hello there! When I posted my video teaser the other day I had no idea you folks would be so kind to me and as excited as I was about it. For this I say THANK YOU! I’m flattered beyond belief and hope to keep you entertained with this new little video project I’m launching.  In the next couple of weeks I’ll be working on some new segments in some pretty cool places and can’t wait to share with you.  In the meantime enjoy the first video about my one true love — cheese.  The idea came from the fact that I’m forever bringing cheese to parties, serving it to guests, and stuffing as much as I can down my mouth. I love cheese. I think I’ve already said that.  And when you watch it go easy on me, I’m just getting my bearings with being followed around by a big honkin’ video camera! I’m a little ruff around the edges but hey, at least I smell nice.

A special thanks to Dean & Deluca for letting me get excited about those condiments and also to Wayne, Mark and Greg!

{ 5 trackbacks }

uberVU - social comments
February 5, 2010 at 7:12 pm
The Best Camera Angle for Taking Food Photos | Learn Food Photography & Styling Blog
February 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm
Best Food Blogs | Poseidon Cooks!
August 10, 2010 at 2:51 pm
Book Review: Say Cheese! | MattBites.com
October 11, 2011 at 6:40 am
Don’t eat out on Valentine’s Day
February 14, 2013 at 12:20 am

Lisa February 15, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Love this! Can’t wait to see more videos. And I’m also a big fan of pairing cheeses by geography. Oregon is a current favorite.

Miri of Laura|Carmen February 17, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Love your cheese video, Matt! I’ve just started doing a few videos for my blog. It’s harder than it looks, eh?! But you’re off to a great start. You come across as the warm and knowledgeable person that you are, of course.

Fuji Mama February 17, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Very excited about these videos! Ok, cheese is one of my all-time favorite subjects…ranked up there next to chocolate and sushi. I love your cheese plate suggestions and ideas of themes to use. I think I’m going to have to do a goats milk cheese plate (just the thought makes me weak in the knees). Can’t wait for your next video!

laura February 21, 2010 at 11:58 pm

You never mentioned you had a thing for cheese. I should have known!
Love the new videos and you eye for making cheese beautiful.

marla {family fresh cooking} February 24, 2010 at 6:32 am

At first when I saw 4 minutes and 15 seconds I thought ~Okay, antsy pants how are you sit still for this? Of course I made it through…great subject and you are awesome on video! I learned a lot too. Now I will feel much more comfortable assembling a cheese platter for a party! Have you ever been to Zinc Cafe in Laguna Beach? Awesome place with an excellent cheese selection. Now I can approach the cheese monger with a degree of confidence!

Katie February 24, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Matt awesome post! What were the Dean and Deluca condiments?

pam robinson February 27, 2010 at 9:21 pm

matt… i am sharing this with all of my cheese loving friends… i so love all of the cheeses you do… esp spanish. and anything blue + honey = AMAZING!

you should seriously have your own show on food network… i used to get up to watch jamie at 7:00 on saturday mornings and i would do the same for you!

love the video…and i wish we had a D&D here…

Misia March 3, 2010 at 3:10 pm

gorgonzola dolce or mellow roquefort with Japanese plum wine… – aaargh

Karen March 16, 2010 at 12:27 pm

great video! One of my favorite accompaniments for an Gruyere is apricot panforte (esp. from The Panforte Co. in Chico). It’s sweet in a natural way and not heavily spiced. Really brings out the fruitiness in the cheese and counteracts any funk that aging may have imparted for my non-stink cheese friends!

Tiffany @ Healthy Little Cottage March 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm

You have just paired two of my most favorite things in the world, cheese and photography! We love cheese so much that at Christmas time instead of getting candy in our stockings, we get different kinds of cheeses! So three questions: what is your favorite cheese (if you could only choose one), what model of Canon do you shoot with, and what is your favorite lens for shooting food with?

ed April 1, 2010 at 1:16 am

Just saw this and am now absolutely craving some strong cheese. Unfortunately, I’m at home with food poisoning and the waterworks of a minute ago seriously prevent a cheese run. No pun intended.

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} April 7, 2010 at 11:32 pm

What a wealth of info you packed into your video. I loved it! and yes, I love cheese too :) can never get enough cheese.

Crystal November 4, 2010 at 11:44 am

I just started taking pictures of my food that I’m making and these tips help a lot! I think my pictures will look so much better after trying this.. very excited to start cooking and snapping pictures!

-Crystal
Propane Burners

cherise January 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Love all kinds of cheese. Enjoyed the video very much! Thanks for all the information.

kim February 24, 2011 at 6:30 am

Hi

I’ve just found your blog, what a great find. I love eating cheese after a meal. Your cheese boards look awesome. I really enjoyed your video. Hope to look out for more

However ever hard I try I just don’t get blue cheese I keep tasting it hoping for a break through – I really feel disapointed by this.

memur alimi March 13, 2011 at 1:32 am

i like cheeses and you give a lot of meanings to them. i like your photos. and first time is see your kitchen. it is lovely. thanks for this video

coach factory outlet online April 19, 2011 at 7:59 pm

coach factory outlet online April 19, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Dona May 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm

great video on cheese plating! Thanks for the helpful info….would you also add what the condiments from Dean & Deluca were and what kind of serving plates/boards/slate you used? Loved the look of the slab of slate….where do you pick that up at?

JC December 17, 2011 at 8:27 am

Thanks for the video. I am trying to learn food photography from blogs and stumbled upon yours. And not only do I learn photography, I also pick up one or two things about cheese. I am from Malaysia and eating cheese is not part of our culture. So it is interesting to learn more about it from your video. Thanks, Matt!

CJ - Food Stories April 12, 2012 at 9:04 am

What a great & helpful video. I love photography and I love cheese so it’s a great combo. Thx for sharing!