Mattbites in Bon Appetit Magazine

I recently had the honor of taking a few minutes to chat about food photography with the fine folks at Bon Appetit Magazine for a small feature in the August 2010 edition. It’s out on newsstands right now and to say I’m touched and humbled would be the world’s greatest understatement. It’s a wee bit surreal to open a magazine and see your mug looking back at you*. And for the record, I could easily eat fifteen of those parfaits on the cover. I’m not joking.

The magazine is out now, let me know what you think!

*Perhaps one day after the shame subsides I’ll share with you some back story about that self-portrait.

Comments

1. Amy says

My issue arrived in the mail yesterday and I saw your feature! I’d love to see this be a regular column in BA.

I was so excited to leaf through the copy that came in the mail yesterday and see your smiling face. I think you look GREAT and your tips are always helpful.

Matt,
    Congrats! And thanks for being so generous with the food photography tips! They are really helping me as I get ready to join the food blog world.

Hi Matt,

Great to see you get recognition in Bon Appetit mag. I have a spread a few pages down about Big Sur-loved that we were in it at the same time.

Nani

Just opened up my issue that came into the mail today and followed you here! So happy to have found your blog and congrats on gracing Bon App! That HAS to be a thrill!

Congratulations Matt. The first major dish I made on m own at the age of 7 was a parfait! I still have the original recipe in my scapebook. :)

7. Tracy says

Congratulations! I’ve been devouring my issue since it arrived in the mail. Loved your tips, was disappointed that the item was so short and would look forward to reading a photography column by you in the magazine each month. Well done!

Holy cow, I just found your website. Love!! Congrats on the article…hope it’s the first of many for you!

9. Tony says

Great job, buddy! Perhaps a cookbook is next? Us male food bloggers have to stick together.

10. Liane says

Ah – I almost bought the magazine in the airport but got a book instead. Too bad I missed it. I’ll have to take a look when I next see it.

Felicidades! Now you have a wider stage from which to share your wealth of photo knowledge. I’ll look for this issue.

And get over your …”shame”? You must mean humility. When you do get over it, we’d love to hear the back story.

Kathleen

Yay! Congratulations on the article! You look great and now (of course) you HAVE to tell the backstory to the self portrait!

Also, I noticed that you didn’t mention the magazine you were featured in last month…

13. John K. says

I’ll have the issue before I get home tonight! Matt, many have said “congrats” — add my name to the list. I also want to say that you truly inspire me. My goal is to shoot to some percentage of the level you do….I’m working at it!

Thanks Matt!!

I got my issue yesterday. So cool! I opened it up and showed my husband and was like “I KNOW THAT DUDE” – he wanted to see your photos so we spent a ton of time browsing the blog. :)

I almost bought this issue the other day but forgot to pick it up when I was leaving the store! I’ll make sure I won’t forget this time!

Congrats Matt!!

Richard Stevens was in NYC w/ me and we were reading the article…big congrats….hope you are doing well! are you coming to nyc this summer?

Hmmm. I seem to remember saying, oh, about 5 years ago, “Just wait. You’re totally gonna be in Bon Appetit in like 2 years.” So I was 3 years off, but still…
    You’re the bomb squad, mister, and don’t you ever forget it.

Big Congratulations! (Am going out to get a copy tomorrow.)

G2