Vegetable Crumble

I’m not sure why I always through crumbles needed to be sweet. Is it because I’m usually eating them weekly smack dab in the middle of summer? Probably. But last month in Paris we stopped by a lovely little shop and café for lunch where Adam ordered a Zucchini Crumble, a small dish of tender eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and onions topped with a savory buttery topping and a sprinkle of fresh herbs. Its simplicity astounded me, its flavor surprised me. And the door to enjoying a different type of crumble was opened and we’re already looking forward to repeating this dish with autumn’s delicious butternut squash or even tender roasted root veggies. It’s simple, satisfying, and makes a wonderful lunch.

Vegetable Crumble
5 cups mixed vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant), chopped rough, ½ inch
3 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of pepper
butter for greasing pan

Crumble Topping:
½ cup all purpose flour
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ cubes
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon cold water

Heat oven to 375˚ F. Mix vegetables, tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Place in a greased 9 by 9 inch baking dish or in individual gratin dishes.

In a bowl, mix the flour, butter, salt, pepper, and thyme and rub the mixture together with your hands. It should be crumbly and sandy, not overly mixed. Sprinkle the water over the mixture and blend with a fork.

Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the vegetables and cook for 1 hour or until the vegetables are soft and the crumble topping is golden brown. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve hot.

Comments

1. Matt says

Hello Maxine! The vintage enamelware skillets came from an antique shop in Wisconsin but I’m sure you can find something similar on ebay! I love them.

2. Matt says

Hello Raaj, the pans underneath are from ABC Carpet and Home in NYC, the entire surface is a piece of leather from the Porte de Clignancourt flea market in Paris.

3. WILL says

just did with root veggies and a touch of sage my thyme is gone . its great thanks but now me and one and three year old are fighting over fightin over the last few bites

The idea of a vegetable crumble is simply splendid: genial and simple at the same time! I’m so fond of crumbles but I had never thought they could be made with veggies (meat or fish, also). They’d always been sweet in my mind. I thank you so much for posting this one!! It gave me the idea for a sunchoke and leek savory crumble that was amazing!
    BTW, the picture is great! I don’t know why but the whole set looks so Moroccan. Maybe it wasn’t intended to be so, but the result is exotically charming. ;)

My husband and I just came back from a week in Paris where savory crumbles were everywhere! I was like: “what is going on here?” We loved the several ones that we sampled and I am determined to try to recreate them at home. Thanks so much for this helpful guide.

6. Sandy says

I’m new to using eggplant and have seen instances where it’s recommended to soak or salt it – is there any preparation beyond peeling & chopping needed for this?

Trackbacks

1. […] One of the things we strive for when planning our menus is making everything fit together into one nice, neat little package. We look to use ingredients in different ways throughout the week so that we’re benefiting from the ability of do-aheads and being able to buy in bulk. We also benefit from a well-stocked pantry. I hear her from another room singing, “Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,” in a singsong voice. She’s happy and singing, and I am listening. I turn back to picking up paper bits that have been discarded on the floor, left there by small hands and scissors. I move on to the dishes and the breakfast crumbs, and out of the corner of my eye I see piles of paper that need to be dealt with, placed there for me to tackle. Later. In the background the singing has become louder and a bit more urgent, the tune turning to a minor chord. I realize that perhaps the singing has been calling me all along. I ask her what she needs. “I need you, Mommy!” I walk towards the voice and see my girl sitting there, waiting, and as she sees me she commands, “Wipe. My. Butt.” It’s good to be home. I have been in San Francisco meeting new friends and reconnecting with old, cementing relationships and having a blast at BlogHer Food. Thank you all for being your fantastic selves, sharing your passion and loving food. Being with like-minded people always helps to center and ground, and I’ve learned and grown so much in the last four days from all the wonderful interactions and words and stories I had the pleasure of experiencing. Monday – Pumpkin Halloween Pancakes decorated Tuesday – Spinach Pomegranate Salad with Pears and Walnuts with grilled chicken breasts Wednesday – Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Cream Thursday – Butternut Pear Curry Bisque with fresh baked (sourdough) bread Friday – Vegetable Crumble […]