Vegetable Crumble

I’m not sure why I always through crumbles needed to be sweet. Is it because I’m usually eating them weekly smack dab in the middle of summer? Probably. But last month in Paris we stopped by a lovely little shop and café for lunch where Adam ordered a Zucchini Crumble, a small dish of tender eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and onions topped with a savory buttery topping and a sprinkle of fresh herbs. Its simplicity astounded me, its flavor surprised me. And the door to enjoying a different type of crumble was opened and we’re already looking forward to repeating this dish with autumn’s delicious butternut squash or even tender roasted root veggies. It’s simple, satisfying, and makes a wonderful lunch.

Vegetable Crumble
5 cups mixed vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant), chopped rough, ½ inch
3 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of pepper
butter for greasing pan

Crumble Topping:
½ cup all purpose flour
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ cubes
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon cold water

Heat oven to 375˚ F. Mix vegetables, tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Place in a greased 9 by 9 inch baking dish or in individual gratin dishes.

In a bowl, mix the flour, butter, salt, pepper, and thyme and rub the mixture together with your hands. It should be crumbly and sandy, not overly mixed. Sprinkle the water over the mixture and blend with a fork.

Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the vegetables and cook for 1 hour or until the vegetables are soft and the crumble topping is golden brown. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve hot.

Comments

I’ll admit I’d never considered a savory crumble, but this looks and sounds divine. So often we dump on the bread crumbs, but why not take it up to crumble status? I’ll definitely give this a go for an easy dinner.

I thought I saw you in the airport on the way back from SF (but without the tattoos). Still, though, I probably stared too long at the poor guy because I kept trying to find his husband.

What a terrific idea! Crumbles are so easy but I’ve never considered taking them to the savory side. Gorgeous top down shot too!

Well, why not a savory crumble? This is a fantastic idea! Stunning photo, as usual. Please let Adam know that his food styling session was tied in the top spot (with Todd and Diane) for the best session of the conference.

Wow, total money! Consider this dish stolen for my banquets this summer. I also love the styling of the photo. The small little frying pans do the trick, and it reminds me of a rustic setting somewhere in the mountains with the fireplace roaring after a refreshing hike in the woods. Man, I miss those days.

I am thinking that a nice ratatouille underneath the crumble would be money, and perhaps bulkin it up with some portabella mushrooms. Wow, now I just made myself salivate!

That photo is gorgeous. I love vegetable gratins – awesome way to dress up produce differently than usual – and get me to finish my CSA box. Is a savory crumble a gratin made with a flour and butter mixture as opposed to a bread crumb and butter/oil mixture?

6. Kris says

Man, this is one of those things where you say, ‘Huh, why didn’t I think of that before?’ Looks delicious, will definitely try it soon!

I found your blog through Goop! I just made a vegetable crumble tonight – Sally, I used butternut squash, celery, onion, thyme, sage (that’s what I had)… and a whole wheat crust. Thanks for the wonderful idea. It was so simple, yet made dinner feel extra special because I’d never even thought of a savory crumble! We loved it. I’m sure to make it again over the fall and winter. So cozy.

This is a an amazing idea for fall. Grandma used to make something similar after a long day in the fields. It is great with layers of caramelized onions as well. Thanks for sharing, the photos are always fantastic!

9. Weatherproof says

Well Matt, I didn’t believe that I could enjoy a vegetable crumble. This is a WOW! I made it tonight after a long day and I am so happy that I did. The only tweek I made – only because at 10pm I discovered that I didn’t have all-purpose flour – so I used bread flour. I’m licking my plate right now. Everyone should try this. So easy and taste so very FANTASTIC.

I’d always pictured crumbles as sweet too, but this is such a fabulous idea. I can’t wait to try it. Thank you so much for sharing!

It sounds and looks delicious. I guess there is no reason why a crumble has to be sweet.

I wonder if you could let it cool in the fridge and then serve it as a nice cool mid-day snack, like you would a quiche.

This recipe looks great. I need to try vegetables in a different way. We usually just cook them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Nothing special but it makes them taste good and we get our daily vegetable allowance but this sounds like a more interesting and delicious way to do it.

I am so sad that I was not able to meet you at BlogHer Food … I was searching everywhere for you, hehe… Matt, this recipe looks incredible and it surely is on my agenda to create this weekend.
    Thank you for the beautiful recipe and photographs; you are such an inspiration and I truly hope to meet you in the near future. Keep up the fabulously delicious bakin’ and cookin’…I’m a huge fan of all your ‘bites’.
    Enjoy your evening…hope to cross foodie paths soon.
    Best,
    Amie

14. NICOLE says

I MADE THIS LAST NIGHT IT WAS SOOO GOOD. I DID ADD A LITTLE ITALIAN DRESSING TO THE VEGGIS AND IT WAS WONDERFUL.. THANKS FOR THE GREAT RECIPIE

15. Julie says

So good I made it twice this week! Added mushrooms and a dash of parmesan to the crust for the last 10 min of baking. This is going on the roster- such a no brainer!

16. brett says

i’ve made this three times now in the past week and shared it with friends…

some variations:

1. with varicolor squash and eggplant
    2. with eggplant, broccoli, and bell peppers
    3. with broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini, and serrano chilies

also abandoned the flour/butter and went with italian breadcrumbs/o.o (to me this seemed healthier?) and matt, the spicier i make this, the better it gets! i’ve been adding healthy doses of tabasco, and man: what. a. dish.

love, love, love this blog.

17. Vickie says

It is in the oven and I am looking forward to dinner tonight!

I also went with breadcrumbs for the topping.

I used a butternut squash, a handful of the green beans that I had frozen from this summer, some fresh broccoli, some of the shredded zucchini bread mixture that I had frozen from last summer (when I am harvesting the zucchini I just take it and shred it all into 2 cup portions into freezer bags, if I have some leftover carrots I add that along with the zucchini, these are great for adding to a huge variety of dishes or when I want to make some quick bread).

I also added some chopped walnuts to the topping and sprinkled a tiny bit of feta cheese with the veggies.

I just thought that maybe some bacon in the topping next time…

I am going to a friend’s house for dinner next week and I am going to make one of these, I want it to look a little less rustic, so I think I will cut the veggies into rounds so I can shingle them into the pan and make for a beautiful presentation to my host.

18. DragonWagonFan says

Back in 03, when Crescent Dragonwagon “Passionate Vegetarian” first made me aware of this idea, I at first dismissed it… Now it is a breakfast favorite! Great way to use up leftovers, too. Oh, and they reheat so well in the microwave! Thanks for a further take on her idea.

19. Matt says

You’re very welcome and yes, it’s such a great use of leftovers! My recipe is based on a dish from a café in Paris, I’m definitely going to need to check out Crescent’s version…. I do love her so :)

20. Raaj says

This looks amazing, Matt! What kind of pan are the crumbles set on? They look like de Buyer, am I right?

Trackbacks

1. […] One of the things we strive for when planning our menus is making everything fit together into one nice, neat little package. We look to use ingredients in different ways throughout the week so that we’re benefiting from the ability of do-aheads and being able to buy in bulk. We also benefit from a well-stocked pantry. I hear her from another room singing, “Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,” in a singsong voice. She’s happy and singing, and I am listening. I turn back to picking up paper bits that have been discarded on the floor, left there by small hands and scissors. I move on to the dishes and the breakfast crumbs, and out of the corner of my eye I see piles of paper that need to be dealt with, placed there for me to tackle. Later. In the background the singing has become louder and a bit more urgent, the tune turning to a minor chord. I realize that perhaps the singing has been calling me all along. I ask her what she needs. “I need you, Mommy!” I walk towards the voice and see my girl sitting there, waiting, and as she sees me she commands, “Wipe. My. Butt.” It’s good to be home. I have been in San Francisco meeting new friends and reconnecting with old, cementing relationships and having a blast at BlogHer Food. Thank you all for being your fantastic selves, sharing your passion and loving food. Being with like-minded people always helps to center and ground, and I’ve learned and grown so much in the last four days from all the wonderful interactions and words and stories I had the pleasure of experiencing. Monday – Pumpkin Halloween Pancakes decorated Tuesday – Spinach Pomegranate Salad with Pears and Walnuts with grilled chicken breasts Wednesday – Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Cream Thursday – Butternut Pear Curry Bisque with fresh baked (sourdough) bread Friday – Vegetable Crumble […]