Dorie Greenspan’s Spiced Butter-Glazed Carrots

by Matt on November 11, 2010

Thanksgiving mode has officially begun at our house. And I love it.  We’re currently ramping up for T.D.R.F.T.W.W.S.O.T.A, or “Thanksgiving Dress Rehearsal For Those We Won’t See On Thanksgiving, Actually.” It’s our 3rd year, let me explain the concept: we host a sit-down Thanksgiving meal any time during the month of November before the actual day. The table is set, the turkey is cooked, and it’s a chance to make the dishes you’ve never made before and give them a trial run before running off to your real Thanksgiving event. Basically, it’s Thanksgiving times two and while it seems like double-duty it actually allows us to see our friends that already have family commitments.  Scratch your head, I know what you’re thinking: Thanksgiving is crazy enough, why would I want to do it twice? See, here’s the thing: having a trial run is fun, low key and just feels different. More like a dinner party. And when the big day comes you know what we do? We get out of the house and visit friends and family, bringing the dishes we’ve tested and know will be enjoyed by everyone.

This year there’s one recipe that I knew wouldn’t need any testing because it comes from Dorie Greenspan’s new book, Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours. There’s a reason why it’s #1 on Amazon and the New York Times Bestseller list. I want to sleep with it under my pillow. I’m sure we all do the same thing when looking through cookbooks: we flip through, saying to ourselves “Oh, I’ll make this!” before flipping through 5 or 20 pages before saying it again. However, with Dorie’s book I find myself saying that on every page, with every recipe, and it’s clearly going to be a problem for me. One giant delicious problem. Back back to Thanksgiving. I’m serving her recipe because I love carrots as a side dish, they add color to the table as well as that sweetness that goes well with just about anything. And any chance I can get to add vegetables I’ll go for it. Dorie’s recipe is simple yet flavorful thanks to the generous amount of ginger, some garlic and cardamom seeds. It just tastes like the holidays, a phrase I’m not sure I can explain.

Spiced Butter-Glazed Carrots from Dorie Greenspan’s Around My French Table

I am obsessed with this book and will tell anyone who will listen to me that I feel like it was written just for me. Of course I know this isn’t true but it will now live on my shelf of “forever” books: the ones that I will always keep near me.

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 ½-inch fresh ginger, peeled and then sliced thin
1 garlic clove, split with the germ removed and then sliced thin
seeds from 4 cardamon pods, bruised slightly in mortar and pestle or with back of chef’s knife
salt and freshly ground white pepper
12 medium carrots (about 1 ½ pounds), trimmed, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces
1 cup chicken broth

Over medium heat, melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir in the chopped onion, ginger, garlic and cardamon seeds, season very lightly with salt and white pepper and cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and stir to coat them with the butter. Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover the saucepan and cook until the carrots are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

Remove the cover, raise the heat, and cook until the broth almost evaporates completely, leaving the spiced butter glazing on the carrots. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Dorie says these are best served soon after they are prepared but can be refrigerated overnight and gently reheated the next day. When I made these at home that’s exactly what I did the day after with my leftovers and they were just as delicious. I love this recipe.

Special thanks to Dorie for reprinting permission. Please buy this book, it’s phenomenal!

{ 2 trackbacks }

Tweets that mention Dorie's Spiced Butter-Glazed Carrots | MattBites.com -- Topsy.com
November 11, 2010 at 6:27 am
Veg Out This Thanksgiving!
November 23, 2010 at 9:59 am

Maria November 11, 2010 at 6:27 am

I am in love with this book as well. I think it was written for me though…ha! I can’t wait to try the carrots!

Paula November 11, 2010 at 6:55 am

I really love such carrots :)

Gaia November 11, 2010 at 9:28 am

love Dorie!

Lisa November 11, 2010 at 10:27 am

I don’t think it’s strange at all to do a test run or two before the big day–I do it myself. Though I have to admit that I also just love traditional Thanksgiving dishes and think they deserve to be served more than once a year. And yeah to Dorie’s amazing book–so thankful that she wrote it so we can cook from it and enjoy it for years to come.

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour November 11, 2010 at 10:34 am

Thanks for the tip! I always need a new fabulous cookbook!

Stay-At-Home-Chef November 11, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Isn’t this book wonderful?! I’m in the middle of reviewing it and so far it’s my favourite cookbook of the year. Absolutely love her Chicken in a Pot. Yum!

Bree November 11, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I recently met Dorie and is as wonderful in person as she is her her books. Just like you Matt!
P.S. I love this book too, and everyone on Earth should have a copy of Baking in my humble opinion.

the purcells November 12, 2010 at 8:20 am

love the trial run idea because we’re always wanting to try new dishes. plus i could eat thanksgiving dinner every night – but then i’d way 400 lbs!

Serene November 14, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I definitely want to make every recipe in the book, which is handy, since I’m part of the FFwD group, which is going to make one a week for the next, what, 6 years?

And I had Thanksgiving early this year, to accommodate a Thanksgiving-themed blog event tomorrow, and you’re right; it’s much more mellow and dinner-party-ish when it’s not “the real thing”. I’m ordering takeout Thai food on the real day, though. I’m not doing this twice. :-)

Scott at Real Epicurean November 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Simple dishes like this always manage to grab my attention. Looks delicious!

Alanna November 14, 2010 at 4:41 pm

What a great tradition – I do the same thing, only in October, when we celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving. The “real” Thanksgiving is way too crowded and hectic to take a photo or two. But I’m not shy about trying new recipes, this year it’s a cornbread stuffing from my sister’s good friend.

Modern Country Lady November 15, 2010 at 5:56 am

Hahaha , can so recognise this- a book where you want to make everything that’s in it- completely overwhelmingly good.I adore the recipe you featured- Wow that looks so great. I will be putting this on my Christmas present list!
I am new to the blog world and just started my blog, http://moderncountrylady.blogspot.com
Have a look if you have the time and let me know what you think!!!

Leah November 15, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Will definitely look up the cookbook!

~Leah
(http://simplesplendidthings.wordpress.com/)

dorie November 18, 2010 at 6:01 am

Sorry for being late to the ‘early party’.

First, I’m really touched by your sweetness and your kind, kind words about my book. I’m such a fans of yours, so they mean a great deal to me. Merci.

And second, I’m thrilled to have a recipe of mine on your site — my carrots have never looked more beautiful. Another merci.

Your dress rehearsal dinner is so sensible. I used to do the opposite kind of dinner. In the years when we traveled to family on the big day, I’d make a huge Thanksgiving dinner on Friday, so that I could share it with all the people I couldn’t see the day before. It was a lovely tradition and the leftovers were swell.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) November 18, 2010 at 6:52 am

Your photos and Dorie’s recipe are a perfect combination.

john November 19, 2010 at 3:40 am

give me now!

Nicolas Naclerio June 23, 2012 at 12:42 am

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!