Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes

by Matt on November 17, 2010

Yea, so I’m still continuing with Thanksgiving sides and apparently I’m still on this Chipotle kick. I can’t help it. A part of me thinks I might have taken a quick ride on a time machine back to the 1990s when everything went chipotle, but to skip over its smoky personality because of fashion would be a disservice to my table. So while I was experimenting with recipes recently like this Chipotle Sweet Potato Spoon Bread I did that’s over on the Cooking Channel I decided to do a simple mashed sweet potato with a nice dose of chipotle. It’s far from an original concept, I’ll give you that. But it’s delicious and a nice change. Plus if you’re inclined to do a different type of turkey this year (something with an Asian or Cajun flavah) then these sweet spuds will be maaaaaaarvelous.

Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Since I’m on a Food Network/Cooking Channel tip here, I’ve based this recipe on Alton Brown’s recipe. Not much changes, it’s literally quite simple, but I might add the teeeeeeeeniest tinnnnnnniest bit of extra adobo sauce for added flavor. And when looking for chipotles you’ll find them in a can packed in sauce, referred to as “chipotles in adobo”.  You will always find a few cans in our pantry. Oh, that sounded like I was giving you our stash, didn’t it? I wasn’t. You’ll have to buy them yourself.

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (you can use salted, it’s fine, just taste as you go along so you don’t oversalt!)
1 whole canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce from the can
1/2 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter, see above)

Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until tender and cooked. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan and add butter, peppers, adobo sauce and salt, if needed. Mash them up well, mixing ingredients. Serve immediately. So simple.

{ 3 trackbacks }

Tweets that mention Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes | MattBites.com -- Topsy.com
November 17, 2010 at 8:40 am
brussels sprouts or sweet potato recipe? - Food and Drink -cooking, cuisine, meat, vegetables, restaurants, diet, prices, allergies... - Page 3 - City-Data Forum
November 21, 2010 at 7:46 am
Thanksgiving Essentials: Sweet Potatoes
November 22, 2010 at 9:02 am

Jessica @ How Sweet November 17, 2010 at 7:56 am

I love this twist on mashed potatoes. We may have it before Thanksgiving for dinner!

Gaby November 17, 2010 at 8:27 am

OMG. I have totally made these before and they are life changing and amazing!!! Def going to make these for myself today!

Rachel November 17, 2010 at 8:48 am

love it! We always have Chiptoles in Adobo in our pantry, too.

I swear I add them to everything. FABULOUS.

janelle November 17, 2010 at 1:55 pm

So simple and so good! I have served the same thing multiple times lately (though… mine also has 1-2 T lime juice); and topped it with chili-spiced swordfish and recently under sage/bacon/goat cheese pork and pomegranate jus… nummers!!!

Connie November 17, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Matt, this is a genius blend of flavors! Thanks so much for adding another great recipe to my personal cookbook!

Justin November 18, 2010 at 1:51 am

Oh my goodness, those sound TASTY! Definitely trying these when I go on break for Thanksgiving.

Lito S. November 18, 2010 at 6:48 am

OMG why have I never even thought of this before!!!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners November 18, 2010 at 8:39 am

What a great combination of flavors and even texture. Great recipe Matt!

caitlindentino November 18, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Matt – quick question about chipotles.

I too always have a few cans in the pantry, but never need a whole can at once – as we know they definitely have a kick. As for the rest of the can, I never seem to get to it in time, and it feels like such a waste. Any tips for storing the remainder of the chipotles and adobo? Do you think I could transfer them to a freezer-safe container and store there?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Matt November 19, 2010 at 7:36 am

Now this is a VERY good question! I’ll find out, I have no idea!

Lito S. November 19, 2010 at 7:53 am

@caitlindentino: my mom tends to put the leftover chipotle in little bags and freeze them. not noticed a difference in taste and texture. of course, chipotle goes fast in this family.

Lea Ann November 19, 2010 at 3:51 pm

First of all ::::swoon! 2nd of all ::::why didn’t I think of that.

Brian H. November 19, 2010 at 8:30 pm

While not a fan of sweet potatoes, my son loves them. Maybe we’ll make him this treat for Thanksgiving.

Kiran November 19, 2010 at 9:19 pm

A great twist to traditional Thanksgiving sides. Best part – its such a simple recipe :)

Grace November 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes looks delicious!
I will try it today!

chloe November 21, 2010 at 9:59 pm

great idea perfect twist on a classic!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods November 22, 2010 at 7:52 am

I love adding chipoltle to sweet dishes for a bit of heat. I typically add it to homemade brownies for a kick. Now I think I’ll try (literally) spicing up my traditional sweet potato casserole recipe with it. Thanks for the tip!

Scarletta @ Scarletta Bakes November 22, 2010 at 2:33 pm

These look absolutely fabulous! I love that you incorporated chipotle chilies in adobo sauce. I may try this with fingerling or mashed russet potatoes as well. Thanks!

Dan July 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Caitlindentino
My mom taught me to do this and it works great. Freeze them. I put three chipotle peppers per plastic sandwich bag with sauce evenly distributed across the bottom. When I want 1 pepper I pull out a bag, pull out the frozen hunk of peppers and sauce and I know that a third of it is equal to one pepper. Cut it on the cutting board. Put the rest back and also it makes it really easy without a mess to chop quickly the pepper.

Tim December 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I love sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes taste so good with lard on them. Question do I need to peel them?