Visiting the Martha Stewart Show

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of joining the Spice Islands team at a taping of Martha Stewart’s daytime show. It was fantastic to be in New York City and so much fun to return to the show but this time I was worry-free! In 2008 I appeared on the Martha show and made my alfajores with her, and if you think I was nervous you don’t know the half of it. But this time? What a joy it was to be with great people and watch Martha and the show from the front row without worrying about messing anything up!

As a member of Martha’s Circle as well as my involvement with Spice Islands and Martha, I was able to snap some quick shots of the set and partake in a mini-tour before the show began. Let’s have a look, shall we?

This beautiful Christmas tree greets the guests of her show as they walk into the studio. I love the red theme going on here, it’s very seasonal. It also makes me wanna chomp on some candy reallllll bad.

Here’s a quick look into the show’s test kitchen. The kitchen staff prepares the all the food for the television program in here. It’s a real working kitchen which I think is totally cool.

You might recognize this: it’s the main set from the show. And it’s so completely beautiful. I don’t know how many people know this but this TV set is completely functional, from the sink to the fridge to the coolers. All of it. It’s pretty impressive.

Here’s a beautiful display of assorted Spice Island spices. It was the holiday baking show so naturally plenty of spices were on hand.  As a surprise everyone in the audience that day received a gift from Spice Islands. Lucky!

The producers assemble all the ingredients for upcoming segments. These are ingredients for Michael Kor’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Yes, please!

A view from the set into the audience. The last time I stood in this spot I was shaking in my boots, it was nice to be able to enjoy the scenery this time!

Getting ready for the show. Could I please live on the set? I totally wouldn’t mind.

If you’ve been to our studio in Long Beach then you know I have a weakness for cutting boards, both vintage and contemporary. I was happy to see Martha’s beautiful collection of cutting boards on the set. Don’t think I didn’t mentally compare our collections, ya know. Martha, your collection is aiiight.

Beautiful spices in gorgeous little bowls. Everything on the set has a purpose, it’s a real working kitchen.

Some beautiful pots and cups decorate the set. I fell in love with the stemware over the espresso machine.

Some happy pears.

There are some spaces the audience will never see, this deep sink is one of those places. And of course there’s a container of Martha’s Clean brand soap there.  I love this soap, it was in the giftbag from a Martha party this past summer.

A delightful honey set up and beautiful bowls of cranberries.

Here’s a shot of the backside of the kitchen island.  As you’d expect, it’s spotless and organized. My draw dropped over the beautiful John Boos butcherblocks that rest on the counter. And those ovens? Yes, they work! And notice the backwards kitchen mixer? It faces the audience which means you use it backwards.

The November 2010 cover of Living. Those pies!

The set’s back sink looks out onto a beautiful view of New York City. It’s not real, but I’m sure you knew this.

Another angle of the kitchen set.

A few feet down from the kitchen set are other areas. This is the Crafts set, I’m pretty sure it’s modeled after my own craft room at home.

Scissors and looms. Every little thing is in its perfect place, what an inspiration.

Gorgeous fabric, yarn and crafts.

A collection of crafts from Martha Stewart.

Michael Kors was the guest that day, completely entertaining as he baked alongside Martha. I really think he needs his own cooking show. Kors Can Cook?

Getting ready to take my seat, the show is about to start!

OMG IT’S MARTHA!!!!!!

Would you believe I wasn’t able to get a good shot of Michael and Martha? But that’s ok, it was an honor to just be there!

After the show Martha took questions from the audience about holiday baking and offered turkey tips. I wish she’d give this turkey a few tips.

Someone has fierce shoes!

Thanks to all the delightful Martha folks and my friends at Spice Islands and C-K. And Vicky, thank you for participating in my Crazy Face photo. You are the best :) And an update: Here’s the clip from the show we attended where Martha bakes with Spice Islands spices. You might learn a thing or two about their vanilla, click through to check it out :)

Comments

You took some fantastic images. Her set looks even larger from your photos than it appears on TV. What a photographer’s candy store to photograph the things you did and memorable experience. Thanks for sharing and enjoyable writeup with all those supporting pics.

How lovely! cooking in front of an audience brings a whole new level of stress. I used to watch Emeril Live and wonder – I wonder if there are whole episodes on the cutting room floor where Emeril – despite the # of BAM!’s and the use of “essence” – the recipe simply burned to a cinder – or when he flipped a pan it ended up on the floor. Even experts make mistakes. Now that makes me want to go search for a blooper reel. Emeril probably curses when he makes a mistake.

Martha? I am guessing she just smiles a mistake off and keeps going . Almost as if she made the mistake on purpose so we could all learn from it. She strikes me as unflappable in front of a camera. :)

Thanks for sharing, Matt!

– Bob

3. Steve says

How did I miss your appearance on the show?! I’ve recorded them all and I even saw the Michael Kors ep!

It is always so much FUN to come to your blog and see what’s new. Always enjoy your upbeat attitude, boundless energy, ability to poke fun at yourself, and sense of humor. And did I mention gorgeous photos?

So cool that you got to be on Martha Stewart. And got paid by a client at the same time.

I remember being on the Oprah show and thinking how amazing that it almost seems impossible that this little area; this set is going to be seen by thousands and millions of people..how is that possible…so I understand your excitement in so many ways: first the kitchen, then Martha and of Korse ;)) Michael Kors…really nice post and very exciting

OMG it’s Martha! I love the expression on your face. That would be so me. And, yeah, backward mixing is awkward. But you handled it beautifully! xo

LOVE this!!! Matt, thanks so much for sharing this trip to see Martha with us. Everything is so freakin’ perfect. Great inspiration. Love all that white china & those wood grain cups are amazing! Can’t wait to see you in one month :) xo

As always, your pictures are the BEST!

It’s so funny, I was on Martha’s Show Thursday and in the taxi going home I realized I didn’t take a single picture! How could I have forgotten to do that?! I must have been too busy with my pumpkin and the cake.

You can live on the set and I’ll live in the test kitchen. It’ll be fun to be neighbors.

Wow! So fun to see everything backstage. For some reason the deep sink and the back of the mixer are what tickled me most but gosh that set has some gorgeous stuff in it. So fun!

10. M.Angeles Torres says

Amazing!! Amazing!! I´m writing you from Barcelona, I love your blog a lot Matt…..I´m so jealous with your experience in the Martha´s show!!
    I always follow you!!!

Wow, you actually been there! I’m so jealous… Her kitchen, I mean set, is perfect and pretty. Very organized and her chinas are to die for. I love them! Lucky you. :)

Thank you for sharing these lovely photos from Martha’s studio. I so want to see the actual show… Your photos makes me feel a little closer to the show… =)
    Love your photos, very inspiring…
    April

13. karen messenger says

I would like to know about the large sink under the window. Was it custom made. If so…who made it?

Trackbacks