Alice’s New Classic Brownies

Oh.

No, really, oh. Oh as in “Oh my, these brownies”  and “Oh damn, these brownies.”  Oh as “Oh I can’t believe this recipe is so amazing” and “Oh there goes any bit of self control I had.”

Get the picture?

You can roll your eyes a bit when you say “Oh”.  It helps.

Even though I don’t claim to have the world’s largest sweet tooth and go for salty over sweet most days, I can’t help but claim this brownie recipe as one of the best I’ve ever tasted. Because to me, brownies seem like the perfect treat in theory. Chocolately, studded with fun things like nuts or fruit, small and compact and enough to satisfy thanks to their rich nature. But sometimes, well, you can’t help but feel let down sometimes when you bite into a brownie that’s dry, too moist or not moist enough, tastes like a mix or worse, doesn’t resemble a brownie at all.

None of those annoying things happen with this recipe. And I want to give Alice Medrich one big giant hug next time I see her.

This recipe requires some very specific steps when making it. You must follow them, there’s no two ways about it. You must use a metal pan to make them, not glass or pyrex. Why? Because the entire pan goes into an ice bath for cooling after baking. Now, I’m no scientist and I haven’t asked Alice how or why this works, but I’m thinking it affects the texture of the brownie, giving them an absolutely perfect chewy exterior with the dreamy perfect inside you want in a brownie. And these brownies are indeed very chocolatey and fudgelike, but again, the outside is firm and just on the brink of being solid and cracklely. Is that a word? Crackley? Crackly? Crackle-ee? Editors and writers, speak up while I go and bake another batch!

Alice Medrich’s New Classic Brownies

This recipe comes from her 1999 book Cookies and Brownies via the Scharffen Berger site. Yes, read the recipe from beginning to end before making it. You must. And while chopped nuts are optional, I’ve added dried tart Montmorency cherries to the last batch we made with much success. The tart cherries punctuated the rich chocolate flavor well, and since I became addicted to them after last summer’s trip to Traverse City, Michigan and purchased 10 lbs of them, well, you see where I’m going with this.

Ingredients
1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons)
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (I used Scharffen Berger’s 99% Cacao)
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (shameless plug: Spice Islands Vanilla, please!)
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup flour
2/3 cup chopped nuts like toasted walnuts or pecans or dried tart cherries
2 eggs

Method
Preheat your oven to 400˚.  Grab an 8-inch square metal baking pan. I repeat, grab an 8-inch square metal baking pan. No glass nor pyrex as it could crack when you get to the ice bath stage.

Line the metal baking pan with foil or parchment so that it comes up all four sides.

Melt the butter together with the chocolate in a double boiler or in a bowl placed above simmering water, not boiling water. Stir to mix, you want it smoooooooth.

With a spatula or wooden spoon, mix in the sugar, vanilla and salt. Add the eggs one at a time and then mix in the flour. Stir the mixture for 1 minute, until smooth. You’ll know it’s ready when it begins to come away from the sides of the bowl.

Add the nuts or dried fruit next, right before placing in the pan to bake.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges pull away from the pan.

While the brownies are in the oven, prepare the ice bath by using a large roasting or baking pan, larger than the 8-inch square baking pan that the brownies are in. Fill this large pan with ice cubes and cold water. Once the brownies have baked and are removed from the oven, place them into the ice bath but be careful not to splash any water onto the brownies. You don’t want that to happen. Let them cool in the ice bath and then remove and cut into 16 squares. Prepare to say “Oh!”

Comments

1. melissa mcgee says

matt! these sound DIVINE. i *will* be making these, most likely this weekend…

question: what is the recommended baking time for these little squares of nirvana?

2. Matt says

oh darnit! So sorry about that! They bake for 20 minutes. I’ve updated the recipe to include that crucial lil bit of info :) But you seriously must let me know what you think of these. They are AMAZING.

I needed something to make this morning for my son’s teacher and I saw this on Facebook.

One word. Re-donk. Perfect in every way. Thanks Matt!

I made these brownies and they were delicious, even though I accidentally made them in too large a pan and they were flaaat as pancakes (not quite but close haha). Yours look great and make me want to do them again right.

I’m a brownie purist – I like them straight up, without nuts. This is a bizarre thing to do by cooling the hot pan so dramatically. Maybe it prevents further cooking and drying out of the brownie to maximise fudginess?

6. sciencegeek says

I am baking them right now. My only worry is that with my tiny freezer (yay for apartment life) I have no ice cubes. I’m hoping that dunking them in cold water immediately and then changing them to a second tray of cold water will work just as well.

Darn! I bought a 9×13 metal pan today…oh well back to Homegoods for the right size. I can’t wait to make these marvelous looking treats! Matt I just love your photographs and blogs. I share them on my Facebook all the time…you simply rock!

LOL! I think my excitement for this brownie recipe is well put in the intro of this post. As in total Oh my god that looks delicious!. And with milk, it’s heavenly!

9. Annelin says

Thank you, this brownie was fantastic! “Oh!” really is the word!
    (I think I will try the ice bath on my (former) favourite recepie too!)

10. sciencegeek says

I can’t really compare the awesomeness that might have resulted from using ice water with the awesomeness that resulted from using cold water. But I can say that awesomeness DID result.

I just made these and they were awesome! I added some extra chopped up bits of dark chocolate into the batter along with some toasted almonds, and I especially loved that they weren’t very sweet, and how fudgey they were. Thanks for sharing :D

BTW, under the ingredients list, the amount of butter is listed as 1 stick (8 ounces) — 1 stick of butter is equivalent to 4 ounces (which is the amount I used, and my brownies turned out fine), so I’m guessing there was a little typo there?

13. Matt says

Augh, thank you! Thank you thank you! I meant to type “8 tablespoons” not “8 ounces”. It is fixed! Thank you! Did I say thank you? :)

14. Tam says

Just discovered your site – great stuff! Will be back.

Just wondering…….. Do you not have a ‘Printer Friendly’ option for printing out recipes and perhaps a “no images” option to shorten the amount of paper? That would be awesome!

Looking forward to finding more recipes!

These brownies look delightful. I better complete the ingredients so that I can make this soon. I hope that I ca find Spice Island Vanilla in my local grocery :)

17. Kim says

I love the recipes!! I can’t wait to start baking ! I found a place to get all my cake boxes, cookies boxes, cello bags, etc… Box and Wrap. If you go to http://www.facebook.com/boxandwrap and “Like” their fb page, you will get a discount code for 5% off your entire order!

18. Claire says

How do you store the brownies once they are baked? I will be making some for thanksgiving and I have to make them the day before because the turkey will be in the oven all day thursday.

19. Brainchild says

Hey, if you use any type of glass or ceramic bake ware, it will crack instantly when hitting the ice bath. The only material that will not react violently is metal; plus it’s the best conductor of hot/cold. That is why you get the “crackly” edges on the brownies, because the metal allows the cold to transfer to dough almost instantly instantly stopping the cooking process.

20. Emily says

Cannot wait to try this recipe. I’m so tired of the box mixes that taste just meh, cant wait to start baking from scratch and i think this will be the perfect recipe to start with

Trackbacks

1. […] – Not So Humble Pie Milk Chocolate and Passion Fruit Cream Cake – Cannelle et Vanilla Alice’s New Classic Brownies – Matt Bites Chocolate Gelato – Gourmande in the Kitchen Chocolate Puddle Cookies […]

2. […] The other day, I was craving something sweet and chocolatey. So, I scoured through my ever growing dessert recipe collection and ended up online (I always like trying out new recipes). I found this late one night after clicking through about 40 odd blogs, and as usual, I thought I had bookmarked it, but now, I can’t find it. Oye. I will update when I find the link. This recipe is from mattbites. […]

3. […] was going to be receiving these treats), and I opened my Google Reader and there was this recipe at mattbites.com staring at me.  I needed something quick and easy and ready to deliver in less than 2 hours and […]