Spice Islands Flavor Explorer Update and announcing the winner on Friday!

Man that was a long headline for this post, sorry about that! I wanted to share a few things about my Spice Islands Flavor Explorer project as well as let you know about the contest. First, for those of you who have entered I sincerely thank you! There were dozens of entries and they all looked absolutely amazing. We’ve whittled the entries to the final 10 and over the next few days I’ll be heading into my kitchen to create and taste them. And then I’ll cue up the drumroll and announce the winner as well as the runner-ups this Friday. I’m excited and as soon as I hit “send” for this post I plan on jogging around the block and running up and down my stairs to get into championship shape so that I can cook and eat like a pro. Ok, maybe I’ll skip the working out part.

In the meantime, I’ve written a few delicious recipes for the Spice Islands blog, have you seen them? I’ll be contributing recipes for the next few weeks but it was this recipe I wanted to draw your attention to.

In honor of a dear British friend (as well as in an effort to trick myself into thinking I’m not eating mounds of ‘french fries’), the recipe for my Paprika Chips with Roasted Garlic Cumin Aioli can be found here and holy smokes can I tell you that they’re good, if I do say so myself? They’re meant to snack on but they curiously became a main dish for me while photographing them at the studio and then I felt completely guilty that I ate nothing but fries, er, chips all day. Oh well, what else are holidays for?

Check back Friday for the winner! I gotta get busy — peace out!

Comments

For the future winners, congratulations already!!

The fries,er- chips look amazing.! Flavorful even just by judging from the picture. But the recipe name gave it away of course.

Dang it! Just when I made a vow I was going to avoid fried foods, and I have to come across this. You could have spared me the pain if you would have left out the picture. I’m blaming you for the spare tire.

Very professional pictures! I’m just learning to take better pictures… they really make site look good and indepth. I take you shoot the photographs yourself?

World’s Greatest Spaghetti Sauce

This is quick, easy and absolutely delicious. I tested this recipe while working on a pasta chapter for a cookbook over 30 years ago. Don’t even think about trying it without the Spice Islands Spaghetti Seasoning. Enjoy!

Serves 20

INGREDIENTS

2 lbs ground beef, extra lean
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 large onion, chopped
    l tbsp fresh parsley chopped
    l – 28 oz can whole tomatoes
    l – l5 oz can tomato sauce
    2 – 6 oz cans tomato paste
    l cup water
    l 1/2 tbsp Spice Islands Spaghetti Seasoning
    1 1/2 tbsp salt
    1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
    1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
    l 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
    l 1/2 tbsp dried basil
    8 ox fresh mushrooms, sliced
    l teaspoon sugar
    l bay leaf

DIRECTIONS

Brown meat, garlic and onions. Add remaining ingredients and simmer about two and a half hours.

Submitted by the Fearless Foodie
    Check out my new food blog at http://www.dinewineandbeyond.com.

PS Tell me what you think of the recipe. I know you will LOVE this!

FWIW, I can’t find Spice Island’s smoked paprika locally (and I just can’t bring myself to buy a small item online when shipping costs more than the item!), so I thought I’d share with your readers that I found smoked paprika at Costco last week. What a pleasant surprise — it’s a hard-to-find commodity. These chips just wouldn’t be the same without it!

Trackbacks