Coquito For Christmas

Last week while visiting with our banker (yes, there are some things you just have to actually go inside a bank branch, apparently) we got on the topic of food. Naturally. We were trading names of favorite restaurants, talking about the holidays, when our banker mentioned how he couldn’t wait to enjoy his family’s Christmas coquito.

As a Puerto Rican in Los Angeles I could only imagine the lengths he must go through in order to enjoy his food. Because unlike Chicago or New York or even Miami, we fall short when it comes to Puerto Rican food. Miserably short. I’m glad I spent years in Chicago, eating lechón and mofongo regularly and ever since my first trip to Puerto Rico last year I’ve realized how sad it makes me that it’s a bit harder to find here. But enough of the sad story. Back to that coquito!

I’ve never made coquito myself, the creamy sweet coconut concoction that’s a cousin to traditional egg nog.  Egg yolks, cream of coconut, spices, condensed milk and rum are blended then chilled and POW – it’s sweet and powerful! I must confess that I like it a bit more than standard egg nog and have decided that I’ll make it an annual tradition during Christmas starting this year. And I promise to toast my banker each time I make it!

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!

Coquito adapted from allrecipes.com

3 egg yolks
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz)
1 can cream of coconut (14 oz)
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
½ cup white rum
½ cup water
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

In a double boiler, combine the egg yolks and evaporated milk. Stir to mix well and keep stirring. Cook until the mixture reaches 160˚F. Kitchen thermometers sure come in handy!

Transfer the egg and milk mixture to a blender and add all of the remaining ingredients. Blend for 30-45 seconds and then pour into a container. Chill for 4 hours to overnight. When ready to serve, pour into small glasses, shot glasses work just perfectly. This stuff is SWEET. Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg if you’d like.

How about some images of Christmas trees at our house? This year’s theme was pink and then some! Thanks to Teri Lyn Fisher for the use of her Rollei!

Comments

Haven’t been on your site for a while and I realize I missed it! Love to learn new things about that other side of the world, today about coquito! Too bad I just got through making too many sahlab drinks, but as soon as that inventory gets consumed, on to coquitos for a new taste experience, thanks! Happy Holidays!

2. Michael says

Great recipe. But what I really want to know is where the glasses are from. We received a similar set as a wedding present (plain rim, green beading around the middle). One broke in a move and I’d love to get more. They’re delicate and beautiful!

Nice recipe Matt, it will be the magic elixir to push me over 250 pounds before I start my winter weight loss program. Indulgence before deprivation, I always say. Merry Merry. TC

I love coquito. I satisfies my longings for anything coconut with lots of cream. I have made it before with homemade coconut milk and coconut cream. With seven coconut palms in our yard, I see the makings of coquito everyday when I step outside.

Feliz navidad y prospero año nuevo from Mexico.

Kathleen

That sounds amazing! My family is West Indian, so I grew up with a love of anything involving coconut milk, haha. Plus, I happen to like egg nog. Will definitely try this :D

Side note: Hey, just out of curiosity, did you ever have sweetened condensed milk on bread like we did growing up? I still love now as an adult!

I started your reading your blog recently and your entry related to PR food came at the right time! My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in PR and it was amazing. And btw, mallorca really is some kind of indulgent sandwich! Loved it. I wonder if I can even get that in Chicago???!!

7. Spices Manufacturer Jaipur says

Wow, what a picture, i can guess how much delicious this food is..

Nice Receipe.. I will do it.

Delicious, You guys are rocking.

Id like to start off by saying thank you for sharing with us as well as thinking of us your readers. I have not had the privilege of going around the word and eating some of the phenomenal dishes you have or even had the chance to have the experiences you have. But by you bringing them, here to your blog it gives me the feeling and sense as though I had been there. For that thank you. Please keep your stories and experiences coming.

O MY CUPCAKES!!! My daughter, Aspen, and I never take ours down…It is my inspirational night light. This year for Christmas, green and blue…We change the lights every holiday. Blessings to all, Happy New Year. I am so new at this…You all go..This is encouraging.
    redraven

I know this is usually done in christmas but I love coquito just about anytime I can get. Thank God its easy to make because it gives me the opportunity to make it as I please. And although everyone makes it differently its definitely better than egg nog. Here’s to this years coquito.
    from 3girls1apple.com