Piquant Pulled Pork from The Sriracha Cookbook

Photo by Yours Truly. And yes, feel free to add extra sauce!

I would love to take a moment to review The Sriracha Cookbook that arrived last January. I would also like to take a moment to tell you how much I love the book. But I can’t. I won’t. Why? Because I’m too busy stuffing my face with this recipe.

Let’s say this will be the shortest book review in Mattbites’ history. I’m going to be lazy and point you to what others have said about Randy Clemons’ book appropriately titled The Sriracha Cookbook from Ten Speed Press.

(It’s a fantastic cookbook, and if you’re crazy for the flavors of that certain chili sauce then you really need the book. Really. It’s wonderful.)

But about this pork. Oh damn, this pork. Forget calling this  “slow-cooked”: you’ll need an overnight brine plus an additional 12 hours of cooking time. Let’s try “half-a-day-cooked-but-well-worth-the-time-invested”, ok?  But Randy lets us know there are no shortcuts to these types of flavors and he’s right–it’s worth it.

You’ll need pork shoulder, spices, Sriracha and plenty of time. Then you’ll need an appetite, your mouth, some sauce and that’s about it. Marvel at how quickly the pork disappears, drizzle more Sriracha on top if you need it. And that’s it folks. Because there’s really not much more to say about this perfect recipe for Piquant Pulled Pork.

Piquant Pulled Pork from The Sriracha Cookbook by Randy Clemons

Spice Rub
6 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika

Brine
¼ cup kosher salt
4 cups cold water
¼ cup freshly packed light brown sugar
1 medium red onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaves

6- to 8-pound bone-in pork shoulder (Boston butt) roast
3 tablespoons yellow mustard
1/3 cup Sriracha
½ cup cold water

To make the spice rub, in a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. Reserve.

To make the brine, in a small bowl, dissolve the salt in the cold water. Add 2 tablespoons of the spice rub, the brown sugar, onion, garlic, and bay leaves, stirring to combine. Put the meat in a large bowl or ziplock bag and pour the brine over, making sure that the meat is completely submerged in liquid. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The following morning, drain the brine, reserving the pork and onion. Pat the roast dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, mix together the mustard and Sriracha. Using your hands, rub an even coating of the mustard mixture all over the pork. Sprinkle the remaining spice rub evenly over the entire roast, pressing it into the meat, making sure it adheres.

Put the reserved onion in a crock pot. Pour in the cold water. Place the pork on top of the bed of onions, with the fattier side of the roast facing up. Cover and cook on low for 12 hours. At  this point, the meat should simply flake away with the slightest touch. Remove the roast from the crock pot, and let rest for 45 to 60 minutes. This will allow the meat to cool slightly, which will in turn make it easier to shred. Pull the meat apart using two forks, discarding extra fat and other less-than-palatable bites. Serve hot.

Comments

I have to say Matt that it look absolutely delicious (and a great image too). I wish I hadn’t looked at this when my dinner is so many hours away!

This pork looks and sounds fantastic. A couple quick questions about the “bed of onions” you put the pork on in the crock pot. How many do you use, just enough to support the pork? Do you just kind of quarter them and remove them when you go to shred the pork? Or slice them thin and incorporate them into the shredded pork mixture?

3. Kelly says

This looks heavenly. Unfortunately, my partner is spicy-hot phobic and so I’m wondering how “hot” this ends up being? I use Sriracha on my eggs and so many other things and would love to make this. Wondering if you can comment on the “heat” factor?

Thanks

Kelly

wow, didn’t know that cookbook existed – sounds amazing! thinking i might have to walk to momofuku for some pork & sriracha goodness this afternoon now that i’m drooling on the computer.

Like Carrie above, I didn’t know this cookbook existed, but I LOVE me some hot rooster sauce. Must get book soon.

I so want some of that pork though. That photo look fantastic. Thanks Matt.

Thanks for the cookbook review!

I ordered two food styling books based on your post about books you like. The first two you mentioned. The Bible and then the pink one. Waiting on my amazon order now….

Oh man, that first paragraph scared the hell out of me! You really gave me a jump, but glad to hear you love the book and the recipe! Thanks so much for the review. Viva la Sriracha!

Every recipe from the book, that I’ve tried, is utterly astounding! I really dig the cheddar sriracha loaf. Definitely can’t wait to dive in and try this pork!

oh yum how delicious…i think i could handle a couple of these tasty buns esp waking up groggy on a sunday morning! great pic. dayle

10. kylee says

Hey, I do not own a crock pot, what temperature would you recommend in order recreate this recipe in a gas oven? I used to have a crock pot, but limited space forced myself to donate it, so I’m learning these things over again. Please and thank you! I’m dying to try this, it sounds delicious.

11. Matt says

I think you’d have to experiment to see how it would come out without a crockpot. Because of the long cooking time and a crockpot’s ability to regulate a long, slow cook, I would make sure to use a crockpot.

This sounds so incredible. I love pork and we have about 20 types of hot sauce on hand at all times. This recipe sounds so incredible!

13. Jackie Alpers (Photographer) says

I love this photo and I love Sriracha. I can’t wait to make this recipe.

You make me want to get off my butt and finally buy this book because Sriracha rocks.

I’ll have to try elements of this recipe this weekend when I smoke two pork butts on my Big Green Eggs.

15. Courtney says

My husband emails me your posts all the time, even though he knows I’ve got your blog in my Reader. When he sent this one, it just had a lot of explanation points. I think I’ll make this for him soon. :) We both adore you and your blog. Thanks for all the fantastic recipes!

I wish I was the one stuffing my face with that pork sandwich…it looks so good. This review (and the photos) make me want to instantly buy the sriracha book. haha. not to mention that I love sriracha!

17. Darika says

My husband loves his Sriracha and this cookbooks sounds so interesting. The sandwich looks good. Must try the recipe and get this cookbook. Have not seen it anywhere in Thailand though.Thanks Matt.

Hi Matt, I just put this roast in the crock pot and I’m a little nervous since it just called for 1/2 a cup of water for 12 hours of cooking. Do I need to add more water as it cooks or will the fat drain and keep the meat moist? If you see this comment within the next 12 hours, please let me know your advise and suggestion for a moist pulled pork. THANKS! :)

19. Johnny B says

I’ve been using the same recipe to smoke my pork shoulder the last 4 tries. I am going to adapt this recipe for my Weber Smoky Mountain tomorrow with a mix of apple and hickory. Let you know how it turns out.

Trackbacks