San Diego and Coastal Living

by Matt on June 28, 2011

Back in January I took a few roadtrips to San Diego in order to photograph a story for the April issue of Coastal Living Magazine. I had to wait a few months until after the story ran to share the outtakes and I’m finally glad I can do so.

First, let me tell you something: I love Coastal Living magazine. Second, I AM CRAZY ABOUT SAN DIEGO. So put those two things together and you’ll see why this was a dream assignment. D-R-E-A-M. Not only did I get to spend a beautiful crisp morning at the Little Italy Farmers’ Market but I was also able to photograph a variety of fantastic restaurants for the story. And meet some amazing folks, too!

Some of you may recognize this guy from Top Chef. It's Chef Brian Malarkey or as I call him the man with the world's biggest smile. His restaurant Searsucker is spacious, comfortable and delicious.

The story, written by Jacquelyne Froeber, was about a few days spent in San Diego and the fun things to see and eat. And eat. And eat more. Because there really are some delicious things happening there.

To my friends and readers in San Diego: you are lucky. Damn lucky. That’s all I’m gonna say.

Here are a bunch of more images that didn’t make the story. Enjoy!

Happy faces from the Little Italy Farmers' Market. Heck, I'd be smiling too if I lived in San Diego!

How much do you love a farmers' market that combines locally grown fruits and veggies along with locally caught nibbles like fresh oysters and uni ceviche? I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!!!!

aida mollenkamp June 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Ooooh, uni ceviche. That looks so good I may consider battling LA/OC/SD traffic to steal a taste.

Allison June 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm

that bearded gentleman is gorgeous.

Chicken Fried Gourmet June 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Great pics as always

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 28, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Matt I live in San Diego about 5 mins from the Little Italy farmers market! But I actually live *across the street* from the Hillcrest farmers market which is even bigger and badder than the little italy one :) In my humble opinion of course. haha!

I love the images you took. They are all…stunning! I actually went to the farmers market 2 weeks ago for the express purpose of taking pics of…produce. It takes a special breed to enjoy taking pictures of beets and carrots but I truly was in heaven.

If you’re ever back in San Diego, I would love to be your tour guide. And buy you a coffee. Or something stronger :)

Lucy Lean June 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I’m not sure I agree with DEMAND LESS – sometimes less is not more – if you get my drift – love these photos – so warm and rich in color.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com June 28, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Love the photos and stories. It’s amazing how much a smile comes across just by looking at fresh produce. Which we had such farmer’s market here in Orlando. We have, but nothing can come close in comparison :D

The Innkeeper's Daughter June 28, 2011 at 6:33 pm

As always your pix are always gorgeous…but the sea urchin soup…beautiful!

Broderick June 28, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Beautiful photos Matt, everyone looks so warm and inviting. I’m a big fan of San Diego myself

amy June 29, 2011 at 12:01 am

What a beautiful place and beautiful pictures! I haven’t visit San Diego for a while. I think it’s time to pay another visit soon! Especially with the lovely summer weather! :)

Susie June 29, 2011 at 8:14 am

Whenever I’m in LA I mean to go to San Diego and don’t quite make it. Your photos have me convinced — next time! Beautiful.

Brian @ A Thought For Food June 29, 2011 at 9:08 am

It’s been years since I’ve visited San Diego, but this post reminds me that I must make a return trip soon.

Yvette June 29, 2011 at 10:12 am

WOW!!! Stunning photography as always! Congrats to your photography in Coastal Living Magazine. VERY exciting! I love the photo of the guy in plaid making a very cool cocktail! And my mouth is watering looking at those oysters and Tapatio sauce. Oh my!!! They don’t offer seafood at our local farmers market in Colorado (for obvious reasons). Would LOVE to live in San Diego!!! Lucky traveler! Congrats again!

Marjy June 29, 2011 at 11:12 am

Hey, that’s my CSA farmer grinning behind all that lettuce! You should come down now, while strawberries are in season. His are the best I’ve ever eaten. And I’ve eaten a lot of strawberries in my lifetime.

Culinary Cory June 29, 2011 at 11:23 am

Stunning photos. I love the beauty and charm of San Diego.

Kimberly June 29, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Awesome pics. I’m a New Yorker whose heart is in San Diego.

Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup! June 29, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Yes, Chef Brian Malarkey’s Searsucker, and the Little Italy Farmers’ Market – we visit regularly! Can’t wait for the Grand Opening of Burlap, Malarkey’s new restaurant in Del Mar. Wish I would have known you were in town ;-)

wandering educators June 29, 2011 at 1:01 pm

oh – this looks fantastic! what extraordinary photography – it makes me hungry AND want to go there.

Mimi from California Avocados Direct June 29, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Great photos, Matt! You caught our cousins, Luke and Joe at the Farmer’s Market! You’re right, we’re lucky to live in San Diego county! You’re welcome to visit the avocado ranch anytime!

gale June 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Thanks to your post a couple of months ago I discovered California Avocados Direst and their terrific service and avocados. As someone born and raised in SD but now living in Maine I am forever in your debt. The avocados available here are truly awful. I come to SD often to visit family and your article in Coastal Living and the pictures today brings many nice thoughts of sunshine on a foggy day in Camden.

Kathryn Hill June 29, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Will you be my gay boyfriend?

Mary June 30, 2011 at 8:13 am

WOW! Now, I am hungry! The photos are simply be-u-ti-ful…love, love,love.
I also, love a good farmer’s market. But, your pictures make it look sensational. I love the restuarant with the DEMAND LESS sign! Where was that.

laura k June 30, 2011 at 11:42 am

Aw, you’ve just made me crazy homesick! Although, when I was a kid in San Diego there wasn’t as much awesome as there is now. My last few visits, I’ve been blown away by the new restaurants, bars, and farmers markets that are filling the landscape. Makes a beautiful city even more amazing. I think it’s time for a visit home…

erin June 30, 2011 at 12:55 pm

i second Kathy and am upping the ante: will you be my gay husband? I live in SD so it would work out perfectly!! :)

Matt June 30, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Erin, DONE! We’ll have to alternate days with Kathy but it can TOTALLY be arranged :)

Dawn June 30, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Stunning and love the piece too! Hope to have you back in San Diego soon!

Laura@familyspice.com July 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

ha! ha! Everyone’s comments are cracking me up! I live in San Diego, too, but not near Little Italy. More like the burbs, but we love it here. Thanks for capturing beautiful images of our city. Now I know where we are going to dinner!

Rosemary J. July 1, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Matt…sshhhhh, you weren’t suppose to tell everybody about how wonderful San Diego is…now I’ll never get a table. ;-)

marla July 8, 2011 at 3:46 am

Now I need to get down to SD….especially to check out that smile, I mean the food at Searsucker.

Erica July 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Love love love the pics! I’m an East Coast girl but totally in love with San Diego and I ate these pictures up like I wish I could eat all of that delicious food. Thanks so much for sharing!

Melanie@MyUnionJack July 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I can’t tell you how much this post brightened my day! I lived in LA 9 years before work brought me to London and I spent a lot of weekends in San Diego. Your photos perfectly captured the eclectic cool vibe of SD and made me so nostalgic for a trip back.