Summer Sangria and a special offer from Everyday Food!

by Matt on July 27, 2011

I swear I feel like a late night television commercial when I say “special offer”. I suppose I could add “operators are standing by” right? Wait, that would take me away from this post. Which is about sangria. Summer sangria, to be exact. From the special summer issue of Everyday Food. You’ve seen it, right? Of course you have. It’s all about summer made easy and it has an amazingly beautiful feature on our friend Aran that makes me smile every time I see it. It also features Ree and Heidi and if you look on page 26 you might just see my book On A Stick! listed with other selections and this: “These new cookbooks are brimming with irresistible recipes, tempting photos, and sage advice.”

Well I’ll be damned! It seems like only yesterday when Martha asked if I had my own cookbook.  Of course that was 2008 when I was a guest on her show but fast-forward a few years and not only do I have a book but it’s also been selected by the editors of Everyday Food. Which leads me full circle back to this post about the magazine and that offer! And sangria.

It’s no secret that I love everything Martha Stewart does, and my love and admiration runs deeply through each and every magazine title. And yes, I read them all as well as subscribe to all the digital versions because I have this fear that I might miss some new ‘lil digital feature or animation. I know I know, I’m addicted, what can I say? But I basically blew a fuse in a very happy way when I picked up the special issue of Everyday Food (it’s larger!) because it not only had a bunch of people I love it in but it also had this: an entire feature photographed with an iphone and the Hipstamatic app. Check this out:

LOVE IT. And when I first saw this I tweeted and facebooked about it because it proves one very specific point I try to make when speaking to new photographers and just about anyone else who will listen: it’s not about the camera you use, it’s about you and what you can bring to your images. And leave it to Martha’s team and Anna Last, editor in chief of Everyday Food, to be just so darn forward-thinking as to include a story photographed with an iphone. A freaking iphone! See? I’m getting excited all over again. But you can’t blame me when you look at those images, can you? They’re fun and infused with the spirit of summer. Of course, Anna says “it did help that our photographer Lucas Allen is just a tad talented!”  But of course! He’s a brilliant photographer.

But back to the magazine and then the sangria, ok? I’m happy to share with you, my lovely readers, a special deal that I’m calling theMattBites Everyday Food Magazine offer! It’s 1 year of Everyday Food (that’s 10 issues) for only $12 with access to the Everyday Food Digital Recipe Index PLUS with your paid subscription receive the Everyday Food oversized Grocery Tote! You can’t beat that, and you get a tote. And you’ll never be without fantastic recipe ideas again, which is what we do here all the time. I can’t tell you how many of our dinners feature Everyday Food recipes. Lots. Click here for the offer.

And just in case you want to order the very special issue of Everyday Food you can click here. I bought 8 copies because I had to send a few to family members, you know.

So what about that sangria? You’ll find it on page 108 under the Cocktails section. This Summer Fruit Sangria is perfect for a party, although I made a batch just for myself which I suppose a) isn’t a good thing to do but b) maybe it is because I’m eating fruit. With wine. Who can say. But I love this light, refreshing version because it’s not overly sweet and so far from fussy; in fact, you can use just about any summer fruit you want. I like recipes that go easy on me during summer. And the addition of basil in the drink? Beautiful. I plan on making another giant batch of this to share with friends once I finish a few big projects I have coming up next week. Heck, maybe I’ll just drink this sangria during the big projects, typos and incorrect exposures be damned.

Summer Fruit Sangria from the summer special issue of Everyday Food

In a pitcher or large bowl, combine 6 cups assorted fruit (such as mango, pineapple, cantaloupe, and apricot), sliced or cut into pieces, 1/4 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger, 1 to 1/2 cups fresh basil or mint leaves, and 1/2 cup orange-flavored liqueur. Mash gently with the back of a wooden spoon until basil is bruised and fruit releases juices. Add 1 bottle (750ml) chilled dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio, and 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon). Stir to combine. Refrigerate 1 hour or up to 1 day. To serve, add ice.

Fine Print: All images used with kind permission from Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia except Summer Sangria, that’s ©Matt Armendariz. That’s me! Iphone hipstamatic photos by Lucas Allen. This is not a sponsored nor paid post.

{ 5 trackbacks }

summer fruit sangria - Everyday Food Blog - MarthaStewart.com
July 29, 2011 at 7:03 am
Summer Sangria from MattBites | Celiac Handbook
July 29, 2011 at 9:44 am
summer fruit sangria | foodsecretrecipe
July 29, 2011 at 12:02 pm
Love Me Some… « THE WISCH LIST
August 4, 2011 at 10:01 am
summer fruit sangria | Scott LaPlant
September 24, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 27, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Congrats on being featured…by your idol, Martha, and her magazine :)

And the fact that an iPhone feature ran…even more awesome! I have to say I am totally in love w/ Instagram and see so many awesome shots by so many people out there…some I think are re-imported back in and weren’t shot with iphones which I kinda feel is a little bit cheater-ish, but whatever works…point being, like you said, “it’s not about the camera you use, it’s about you and what you can bring to your images.”

And sangria. Mmmmm, I’ll take some!

la domestique July 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Congrats on being featured in Everyday Food! I so appreciate how Martha Stewart Omnimedia embraces technology. Love the digital mags & the article shot with the iPhone is fantastic!

Brianne July 27, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I totally dug that iphone-photographed article…I have yet to own an iphone, and it made me even more envious of all the people that get to take fun photos and use apps like Instagram to make them awesome. The fun picnic recipes featured in the article were great, too. I’ve read through my copy multiple times. Also, tote is one of my favorite words ever. It just cracks me up!

Laura@familyspice.com July 27, 2011 at 8:23 pm

It’s funny, but my husband NEVER buys me a food magazine. And he stops in a B&N to get a coffee and comes back with that popsicle issue of Everyday Food! LOL! I kept staring at it wondering, “When did it get bigger? It’s about time!” LOVE all the easy and gorgeous recipes in there. And congrats for being featured!

Haute Cookture July 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Congrats Matt on your feature. You deserve every ray of limelight you receive. I just adore your cookbook. I’ve made the corn dogs and they were the bomb. I’m going to make the spaghetti & meatballs with my nephew when I visit him in a few weeks.

You can imagine my excitement when I saw the iphone feature considering all of my blog photos are taken with my iphone4 camera:) Can’t wait to take a photography class with you one day soon!

I am so making this Sangria tomorrow:)

Mikey F. July 28, 2011 at 6:44 am

God bless Sangria!! This sunday was Paella contest day at my hometown and we had a huge bucket (and yes, I really meen “bucket”) full of tasty red wine sangria.

I guess I´ll be getting a new subscription for a food magazine.

Abrazos,
Mikey.

Divya July 28, 2011 at 7:31 am

Congrats on being featured!! I usually make sangria with red wine, but it looks so pretty with the white. Will try this out sometime!

ellen July 28, 2011 at 9:51 am

Just ordered my copy, Matt! Congratulations!

Mrs C July 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Wow! So much to talk about here!! First, the sangria recipe looks so delicious for summer…yum!! And super congrats to you! So amazing to see how you’ve grown…such an inspiration!! And thanks for the magazine subscription link! Yipee!! As an amazing cook, what do you think of my bacon-blue cheese sliders!?!

Recipes Fashion Marriage

Betty n July 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Ok, so this has nothing to do with this post, but I just say you 2 on Food(ography)…..congratulations…great Job!!!

Alana D July 29, 2011 at 1:38 pm

That sangria looks awesome,great way to close out my day!

Alana D July 29, 2011 at 1:39 pm

PS Congrats on ur segment!!

Carrie @ kissmywhisk July 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I love sangria and Everyday Food, I’ll have to give this recipe a try!

Damaris Palmer July 30, 2011 at 11:15 pm

My favorite mag on the entire planet. I wonder if they ship to Brazil. If they do I’m totally subscribing this year that I’m gone. I’m tempted to just subscribe and have my husband’s aunt save them for me. It’s like a little cookbook every month in the mail.

Congrats on being featured!

I just bought your book for a friend in Oregon who hosted us this Summer. I know they’ll love it.

marla August 2, 2011 at 5:05 am

Oh Matt, love this invite to order all these goodies – gonna dash over and fill my cart now! Had no idea so many buddies were in that issue of Everyday Food. Thanks for hooking us up.
Thanks to you, Martha and Anna I can be sure to stay in the know of hip & styling things. *kisses*

Feeder August 16, 2011 at 6:28 am

Wow! That summer fruit sangria looks (for a lack of a better word) SEXY!!! I can’t wait to try this. Luckily I have everything I need, right here at home. Plus its a HOTTT day – Refresh me sangria, You Beaut!!!