Jagalchi Fish Market, Busan

by Matt on August 17, 2011

Oh Busan, how much did I enjoy you? Thisssssssssssss much. And that’s a lot. Located at the Southern tip of South Korea, Busan is the second largest city in South Korea and one of the largest ports in the world. It’s modern, bustling, shiny, coastal, impressive, and home to the largest single department store in the world known as Shinsegae.  As a retail veteran I find this very important, ya know. And if you’re a shopper you’ll feel as if you’ve died and gone to heaven. But you’ll certainly want to visit Shinsegae’s food court which apparently is so beautiful and grand that I was mesmerized and forgot to grab my camera for photos. BAD PHOTOGRAPHER, BAD! But hey, I had my iphone! But it’s right on par with Harrod’s in London and Le Bon Marche in Paris, if not a bit more orderly and pristine.

If you want it you’ll find it here. There were beautiful wood-fired pizzas, hamburgers, gorgeous pastries, wines, coffee, dumplings, cakes and just about everything else. We sat at a juice bar and had fresh-squeezed juices while doing some amazing people watching. It was faaaannnncyyyy!!!!

All that shopping really took it out of me so we headed back to the Paradise hotel for an evening of rest. The next day I went on an early morning walk once I realized we were right next to the beach. The buildings are so tall, so sparkly, so modern that it’s easy to forget what’s immediately behind them.

I felt like the luckiest man alive as I strolled along the empty beach snapping photos. Blessed with warm soft light and cool temperatures, I shared the path with early morning joggers and bike riders.  I knew I needed my exercise and strength to get me through an afternoon stroll of Jagalchi Fish Market. This is Korea’s largest fish market and I’m not exaggerating when I say it goes on forever. I don’t think we even saw every single stall. It was next to impossible. Located right on the water, Jagalchi is stall after stall of fresh and dried fish with small food stands tucked away between them every few yards. Manned mostly by women, the stalls sold fish I have never seen before, piles of creatures whose names will forever escape me. I tasted things exotic and fishy, sweet and spicy, with a few pieces of shark cartilage through in for good measure. And rather than even try to name all the other things at the market I think it’s best to let the photos speak for themselves.

Next up: Matt makes kimchi! And gets in trouble.

{ 3 trackbacks }

Weekly Snapshots | 10.07.11 « Hermit Hideaways | Korean Photography
October 7, 2011 at 12:44 am
Exploring Like A Local: Richmond, BC | MattBites.com
November 20, 2011 at 11:39 am
It’s the Weekend and its raining! | makeeatsimple
August 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Melissa August 17, 2011 at 10:05 am

That looks like an incredible place. Great shots!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm

From a photography standpoint, I can only imagine how awesome this trip was for you (as well as from other standpoints)…it looks so amazing. The images are so vibrant and just jump off the page! Wow, Matt!

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour August 17, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Gorgeous photos! … luscious and exotic… Toto, we’re not in Kansas anymore. However one of those photos looks slightly obscene (wink).

Alana D August 17, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Such an amazing post with some awesome photos!

Allison August 17, 2011 at 4:21 pm

um, are those dicks?

Matt August 17, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Allison, HAHAHA! you just made me laugh! They are Sea Cucumbers and well, if you saw them in action….I’ll shut up now.

Marie August 17, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Ok, I’m glad Allison asked, because I was hemming and hawwing over how appropriate it was to ask about dicks in a comment. And I’ll echo everyone else… the photos are amazing, Matt. Also, that’s a proper food court if I’ve ever seen one.

Audrey August 18, 2011 at 11:34 am

Matt, I am loving your posts on S. Korea! Definitely going to check out the fish market in Busan when I visit next.

kitchenbeard August 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm

What are the orange things that look vaguely fruit like?

Isabell August 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm

beautiful pic’s! I’m Korean-American and have often visited family living there and I feel like i’ve seeing it in a whole new light.
thanks, Matt!

btw- huge fan!
keep up the beautiful work

Renee August 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm

The beach looks amazing and the seafood market- wow! So many creatures I have never seen before! The red prickly things look really cool, as do the bat like lobsters/crabs (?) I was wondering what those other things were- so glad you cleared it up. I never would have asked! haha!

What an awesome trip!

la domestique August 19, 2011 at 9:19 pm

You’re right. Words wouldn’t be able to describe the awesomeness of the fish market you captured in photos. Crazy!

Nicole Franzen August 20, 2011 at 7:18 am

wow, that outdoor fish market looks insane :) Must put it on my list of places to visit… which is getting progressively longer… sigh.. will I ever be able to see all these places in this lifetime! I hope so! On another note.. have you ever tasted sea cucumbers? I was just in SF and in Chinatown they had dried ones. Not the most pleasant and appetizing looking, haha ew

Jill August 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm

After seeing your photos, a “must” trip on my travel wish list too! Incredible looking city!

Broderick August 20, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Love the panorama shot and those markets… Korea’s definitely on my to-go list

Steve August 21, 2011 at 12:32 am

It makes me feel so nostalgic ! I miss South Korea a lot. Hope I’ll the chance to go back there one day.

DannyC September 12, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Great photos in the fish market. They really are amazing places. I feel like markets like that one offer so much inspiration, it’s sad that many smaller ones are dying out.

Kitchenbeard, Renee – the red/orange prickly things are sea squirts – or mongae in Korean. They are simply chopped up and served raw along with the sea cucumbers. They taste really sea watery, in a pleasant way :)