Zucchini Pasta & the inbetweeness of it all

by Matt on September 16, 2011

This is the first time in my life that I won’t be kicking and screaming for summer to stay just a bit longer. Not that I want it to go, mind you, I’m just happy to see the seasons do their thang, the earth to change notches such a tiny bit. The days are already significantly shorter, but when you’re from Southern California you’re generally immune to massive temperature changes anyway.

Besides, this past month I’ve been living in Thanksgiving because of my work, and Christmas is next week. I’m mentally already there.

While my brain may be on all things holiday, my tastebuds will most likely be the last thing to get on the bandwagon. A trip to the market explains why: there are still beautiful tomatoes and other summer fruit waiting to be scooped up and enjoyed one last time before we move on to slower, richer things. Which reminds me of this recipe, something I’ve made 5 or 6 times since it hit the newstands this past July. I’ve been meaning to share it with you but keep forgetting. Now I better do it as one last goodbye to summer, don’t you think?

The flavors in this raw dish, featured in the July/August issue of Whole Living Magazine, is exactly what I crave when I want flavor and lightness. Seriously, it’s one of the best things I’ve enjoyed lately, packed with flavor without being heavy and without turning on the oven or stove. It’s almost hard to believe. As I twirl my fork around this dish one last time and say goodbye to summer, I hope you had a great one and I can’t wait to see what Autumn has in store for all of us.

Zucchini “Pasta” from Whole Living, July/August 2011

Every single ingredient in this dish is raw. It’s also vegan but I have been known to sprinkle the tiniest amount of Pecorino on top before serving as well as 3 or 4 drops of lemon juice. Not a lot, just a teeeensy bit for brightness.

8 ounces of sliced cherry tomatoes
1 clove of garlic, thinly slices (the thinner the better, trust me!)
¼ cup chopped raw walnuts
2 tablespoons torn fresh basil, plus leaves for garnish
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus a bit more for drizzling
sea salt (I like a light chunky salt crystal for texture)
1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise, slices cut into ¼-inch long strips

In a bowl, combine the sliced tomatoes, the garlic, walnuts basil and olive oil, Season with salt. Let stand 20 minutes. Toss with the zucchini ribbons and garnish with basil. This is where I add a tiny bit of cheese and a sprinkle of lemon juice but it’s totally not necessary.

************************************************************

To Richard: While I never had the chance to meet you, the laughter and light you brought to those around you had an impact, enough to radiate and shine on from wherever you are. I hope your journey was peaceful. I can tell you’re already missed.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Zucchini Pasta from Matt Bites - Martha's Circle
September 16, 2011 at 10:28 am
Zucchini Pasta from Matt Bites | Celiac Handbook
March 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm

la domestique September 16, 2011 at 8:21 am

The recipe looks so delicious and fresh! We had a cold snap in Colorado this week, but I think summer is going to make one last guest appearance this weekend with some warmer temps. I better make this while I still can! :)

wandering educators September 16, 2011 at 10:48 am

delicious!! i’ve not tried zucchini pasta yet – time to do so!

Chris Armstrong September 16, 2011 at 10:54 am

YES! I’ve made zucchini pasta several times as it is the perfect gluten-free alternative to pasta — it is nothing short of awesome. I haven’t done it like this but you can count on the fact that I will this weekend. Thank you.

This American Bite September 16, 2011 at 11:28 am

Clearly, I have been mis-treating my pasta dishes. I could learn from you!

Kathryn | Dramatic Pancake September 16, 2011 at 11:43 am

Love how fresh and simple this salad is. I love dishes like this that are delicious but quick and easy enough to pull together on a weeknight.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 16, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I love zucchini pasta and your bowl is just so light and delicate and beautiful!

And you’re already living Thanksgiving and Xmas…I didn’t think about how that would work for you, but yes, you’re right! I hope Santa is good to you. Next week :)

Haute Cookture September 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Matt does your photography always have to be so gorgeous?:)

I’ve never tried zucchini pasta either but I will give this a spin tomorrow. Loving that beautiful fork. Cheers and Happy New Year :)

Hillary September 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I am trying this for sure. It looks delish!

Michelle DeMarco September 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm

This dish looks absolutely amazing. I’m not sure what camera you use but the quality of the picture itself just makes me feel like that plate is sitting right before me begging to be eaten! As a new whole food, pseudo vegan who occasionally eats meat, this is going on the rotation! Thank you so much!

Nic@diningwithastud September 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Love it! Def looks like pasta and is so fresh

WT September 18, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It looks amazing! When we were raw we used to make zucchini pasta with a fresh basil pesto. If you like this you should give it a try.

Miri Leigh September 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I will definitely have to try this recipe out– thanks for posting! Looks great :)

Joy September 18, 2011 at 10:52 pm

This looks really so very good. My thoughts go to you and your friend Richard.

Rosemary September 19, 2011 at 2:42 pm

How did you get your Zuccini Ribbons to look so perfect?

Fran September 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Wow! I had to check the recipe a few times to make sure I wasn’t missing pasta in the ingredients list. This is just fabulous and I can’t wait to get home to make this! I have a few zukes waiting in the vegetable drawer for me and this is PERFECT, especially since I’m always looking for great vegetable dishes to fill me up. Thanks!

WeLoveChicken September 20, 2011 at 8:00 am

What a beautiful and healthy dish. The pic is just fantastic!

Karl September 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I have never tried making zuchini pasta. Looking forward to trying it out! Great article!

blue123 September 21, 2011 at 9:50 am

hmmmmmmm i hop its very better i like this post i read the post its very great your good artical i likre very much
keep it up……..!!!!

steve September 23, 2011 at 8:06 am

Ah Ha, I’ll have to give this a try. The wife does every fad diet going and gluten free is the word(s) of the moment. I’d better do it quick though or we will be on to something different by next month!

Dianne September 24, 2011 at 8:59 am

That looks so fresh and delicious!

Kristi Rimkus September 25, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Whole Living magazine often has simple, yet impressive recipes. It’s one of my favorite magazine reads. Perfect side salad or light meal!

Anna September 26, 2011 at 4:46 am

Simple, beautiful, delicious!

tabassum September 27, 2011 at 12:45 am

lovely

perudelights September 27, 2011 at 10:13 am

Thanks, Matt, this raw recipe is so healthy and refreshing. My daughter, Morena, will be more than happy adding it to her repertoire, especially because she lives in Lima, Peru, and they are already in Spring. Summer is on its way, so she will have more opportunities to enjoy this bounty of flavors.

marla September 28, 2011 at 8:12 pm

This is my kind of pasta….the only problem is I can never get the strips of zuke to look quite so perfect & pretty. I too would add a little bit of parm/romano.

George October 5, 2011 at 8:52 am

Looks good, I never would of thought about using zucchini as a pasta subsitute. Thanks.

Ashley March 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm

This looks great! I have some baby/small tender zucchini and squash that I may try this with… Love the lighter twist on pasta!

Jess @ Crunchy Hot Mama June 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Love this! I’ve heard of people using zucchini in lasagna for noodles (I’ve done it with eggplant) but can’t wait to try it like a pasta. It will be a great sub for spaghetti squash with my meat sauce. Thanks for sharing!