Exploring Like A Local: Richmond, BC

by Matt on November 20, 2011

All these 15+ hour trips to Asia and it’s been less than 3 hours away this whole time?

Alright, ok, please don’t get out a map to prove me wrong. I’m being silly and I realize that nothing can compare to actually spending time eating from Hawker Stalls in Singapore or exploring a fish market in Busan.

Well, almost nothing.

I recently spent 2 days eating in Richmond, British Columbia as part of the Explore Like A Local Sweepstakes put on by Travel + Leisure and the Canadian Tourism Commission. They asked if I’d like to eat my way through any city in Canada and write about my experience in hopes of exciting others enough to enter to win my itinerary. I picked Vancouver – an easy trip up the West Coast of North America which would allow me to maximize my travel time. Part of this Vancouver experience would be visiting Richmond, British Columbia’s 4th largest city and nestled directly next to Vancouver. While it’s no secret that Asian blood must run through my Latino veins (from where it comes from I have no idea!) but what I wasn’t prepared for was this town easily becoming one of my most favorite places on the planet.

Richmond, you rock.

To understand the food in Richmond you must have a quick lesson on demographics and history. Don’t worry, it’s quick. Richmond began to see many immigrants from Hong Kong and throughout Asia after World War II, with a great number flowing in during the 1990s. Currently, Richmond is 65% Asian, 49% of those are Chinese. You’ll find other Asian cultures as well, particularly Southeast Asian as well as a mix of other cultures from all over the world. But this predominately Chinese makeup means restaurants, stores, shops and markets all cater to an Asian population, and visiting and eating is pure heaven for a guy like me.

What you won’t find in Richmond is a central Asian neighborhood, a place that announces itself with a banner or red arches as a gateway to a Chinatown. Here Chinese culture here is woven into every aspect of living, reflected not only in its citizens but also through signage and everyday life. I have never felt more like a visitor in Asia than I did in Richmond, and considering I was still standing in North America my mind was blown away.

Then there’s the food. Oh my goodness, the food.  The New York Times said Richmond has “the best Chinese food outside China” and I’m not going to disagree. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from my trips to Asia it’s this: food must be of a certain quality, taste good, be made and served properly…there are definitely standards. Richmond was no different. Each restaurant I visited seemed to outdo the last as I sampled Hong Kong-style comfort foods, Malaysian noodles, a Shanghainese dim sum as well as glorious food courts within 2 distinct Asian malls.

With my Tourism Richmond guide Stacey Chyau we headed to a few places to eat and it eventually became clear that I just couldn’t get enough of Richmond.

Lunch was a dim sum at Shanghai River Restaurant, 7831 Westminster Highway. Marvelous flavors, quite subtle and delicate, with cooks making handmade noodles in the kitchen. Quite possibly the best xiao long bao (soup dumpling) I’ve tasted, with perfect pork filling and enough steaming hot liquid inside to really satisfy. Other highlights included the jelly pork, a slab of gelatin and pork served cold as well as the unsweetened doughnut that’s dipped into slightly sweetened warm soy milk. Fantastic!

Later we headed to the Golden Village neighborhood for a visit to Alexandria Road, also known as Food Street. Get this: over 200 Asian restaurants within a 3-block radius. OVER 200! Yes yes yes yes yes. I’m already planning a trip to return. Our triplicate-dinner began at Cattle Café, 1020-8580 Alexandra Road, for a bowl of Laksa followed by Ginger Deep Fried Chicken Wings. We finished our meal at this bright, modern fun spot with Condensed Milk and Butter Toast. Think French Toast with lotus jam between two eggy slices and dipped in honey and yes, it was as fantastic as it sounds. We also dove into Bubble Waffles before finishing our Hong Kong-style Milk Tea & Coffee, a perfect combo of tea and coffee made with evaporated milk. Definitely East meets West.

Second on our list included a stop at Claypot Hot Pot and BBQ, 105-8291 Alexandra Road. As it began to drizzle and the temperature dropped I could think of nothing better than a stop for Hot Pot. We mixed our condiments into the perfect dipping sauce as we waited for our giant pot filled with two liquids of our choice to arrive. Once on the table it bubbled as we dipped a variety of vegetables and meats like lamb, pork, chicken and crunchy fish skin into the hot liquid. And when I say hot I mean that on both fronts: the spicy liquid was an oily combination of black and pink peppercorns, entire chiles, chile oil and spices that needed to be spicy enough to season your meat once removed. Too much of the hot broth on your food rendered your mouth numb and not much use for a minute or two. When that happened my mouth found refuge in the much milder side of the pot that contained a very simple gingery broth meant for greens and veggies. I really dig this style of communal eating, even if my mouth was temporarily incapacitated!

The third spot on our Dine Around (don’t you just love that term?) was Jade Seafood Restaurant, 8511 Alexandra Road, a beautiful contemporary restaurant located upstairs in a shopping strip. This award-winning spot was packed with an older crowd enjoying a meal and was the perfect place to end the night. The roasted squab really hit the spot.

The next morning I was up bright and early to explore Yaohan Centre and pay a visit to Osaka, a grocery store that specializes in a whole variety of Asian cuisine. Like many Japanese markets, it was a sparkling, glistening superstore but my guides had to pull me away from this:

If there is a sambal, a gojuchang, a soy sauce, a vinegar, a sriracha, a chile paste or sauce that wasn’t on this aisle then chances are it doesn’t exist. Anywhere. This was nirvana right here and I wanted to stuff my suitcase with one of each. But I didn’t.

After our market visit it was off to Aberdeen Centre, 4151 Hzelbridge Way,  for more dim sum at Fisherman’s Terrace. Those who know me know I can’t pass up a congee EVER so luckily I was able to order a bowl to get my morning started.

A Richmond, Chinese food eye-opener? Light pastry wrapped around things like pork and roast beef. Delicately tender noodles. Things that are so exquisite and special I could cry. Flavors with finesse that I’ll obsess over until I return. Most interesting: A smoked salmon slice on top of ambrosia-style salad over a prawn chip with ribbons of Japanese mayo. This West Coast Fisherman’s Terrace original was unique and unexpected.

My last stop in Richmond was Park Place Mall, a very modern old-school Asian mall. Did that make sense? Old school in the sense that it’s what you’d see pre-sparkling modern Asian shopping center. Filled with herbal, tea, clothing and gadget shops, we were here to check out the humble food court, where I met with a representative and learned that the food court limits the type of restaurants located within so that it represents the best of the best: the best curry shop, the best noodle shop, the best dessert shop, the best bbq shop, the best candy shop, you get the picture. And let me tell you: this place had me hungry all over again.

Of course, there was one place inside Parker Place that everyone kept talking about. Non-stop. It seemed to be on everyone’s mind, a favorite of the locals that wasn’t quite a deli or restaurant but more of a butcher shop. I knew I had to investigate.

Ladies and gentleman, I give you the Parker Place Meat & BBQ shop. Also known as the happiest place on earth. Apologies to Disneyland.

OH. MY. GOD. There are no words to tell you just how delicious their Roast Pork is. It’s easily followed by their BBQ Pork. The long lines into this store easily tell you this pork is a local favorite, ordered freshly chopped in a pound or two, taken home and served with steamed rice and a few sides. Each piece of meat is a study in pork perfection: three distinct layers of meat, fat, and crunchy skin (the skin being thicker than you’d expect) resulting in a crackly brittle break that is a blessed contrast to the warm fat. No, I have tasted nothing better than this pork and felt like a glutton for downing more than my fair share so quickly post dim sum meal. You would have done the exact same. Trust me.

For Tourism Richmond click here, for more information about Richmond, British Columbia, Canada, visit their official page at http://www.richmond.ca/home.htm

Coming up: Vancouver

{ 1 trackback }

Exploring Like A Local: Richmond, BC | Shelterholic Now Food
November 20, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Redawna November 20, 2011 at 11:46 am

Wow, I need to take a trip to Richmond!
What a fantastic food adventure.
Seems as if it is BC’s little secret. You always hear about Vancouver for its rich seafood fare can world class chefs.

So glad to catch your post, next time I drive into BC is know where I must stop.
The pork sounds aamazing!

Marvin Jansen November 20, 2011 at 11:52 am

Thanks for the food tour Matt. I had no idea of the Asian influence. Sounds and looks yummy!

TheFromagette November 20, 2011 at 12:23 pm

This was a fantastic post!! And it makes me embarrassed to say…I’ve never been there and I live less than an hour away. Shame on me. It’s now on the list!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for the travel post card! It looks great and makes me think there’s a whole lot more to Canada than cold weather and I need to one day explore it! :)

Elizabeth November 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Welcome to heaven Matt. I love Richmond as much as anyone else. Great shopping, Great food. Close to home. What more could you ask for?

HealthCastleGlo November 20, 2011 at 10:46 pm

My neck of the woods! Come back again!

Irina G (Fit Flexitarian) November 21, 2011 at 10:02 am

WHOA! Seriously, who knew all of this was in Richmond, British Columbia?!?! I’ve never heard of such a thing. Having never been to Canada, though, you’ve now seriously inspired me. :-)

Lydia November 21, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I live in Vancouver and I’m (more than) slightly intimidated and mystified by Richmond. I’m ashamed that I’m only familiar with the Aberdeen Centre food court (did you go to Daiso, the $2 Japanese superstore?) and Osaka- I always shop at the one in West Van. Thanks for the hot tips! Looking forward to your Vancouver post.

James Chang November 21, 2011 at 6:55 pm

It’s too bad that they only know to take you to Fisherman’s Terrace, Jade Seafood and Shanghai River. There are way many more restaurants worth to have the tasting in Richmond.

Web Hosting November 22, 2011 at 12:44 am

So delicious looking..
Have you guys discovered all the dishes that made in Asia ?

Matt November 22, 2011 at 6:15 am

Too bad? Not at all! I only had a limited time and of course I’m sure there are many more restaurants to explore. So what are they? What are your favorites?

maomau November 22, 2011 at 9:39 am

i’ve always heard Richmond was 2nd to HK and have yet to make it there myself. It’ll be on my checklist to see. Thanks for sharing, Matt!

Sabine November 22, 2011 at 4:31 pm

That makes me miss Richmond so much. While we lived in Vancouver we went down there at least once a week. When I was starting reading your article I was thinking, oh I have to tell him about that Dim Sum place and the BBQ pork place, but it seems you have covered most of my favorites.
Some others are:
HK BBQ Master (similar to Parker Place)
Kirin Seafood Restaurant
Shanghai Wonderful Restaurant
The Food Court at the Aberdeen Mall has some great stuff.
But there are so many great places. After 5 years of living there, we still made new discoveries all the time.

Liz @ slice o matic November 23, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I’m from Toronto and everyone says that asian food is way better in BC. I’m planning to go there for the first time in January and I can’t wait.

Melissa@EyesBigger November 23, 2011 at 8:09 pm

My favourite part of Richmond is actually Steveston, the historic little fishing village on the outskirts of the city – but still part of Richmond. Richmond’s Asian influences go back much further than WWII. Steveston was home to a bustling Japanese Canadian salmon fishing community (many of whom wound up interned in the interior of BC during the war and had their fishing boats and property sold by the government – not a proud Canadian moment). It’s still my favourite place to go for fresh fish and chips and eat them on the on the promenade while watching the salmon boats come in with the day’s catch!

Row November 27, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Awesome post, Matt! I had a fabulous eating adventure (aka honeymoon) in Vancouver this past summer and I miss the food dearly. I will refer to your B.C. posts when I plan my return trip… thanks!

Ness January 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I am so glad you enjoyed my hood. Next time you must visit Steveston Village located in Richmond. It’s such a quaint village to unwind.

Ingrid January 13, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Always have to take time to decide where to eat when we go out…of course I live here and have enjoyed many of the wonderful places here. We are blessed with flavours from all over the world, not just Asia. Come and taste everyone. AND I have to agree with the Melissa@eyesBiggar, Steveston has the best “Seafood House” La Tandoor, Kisamos Greek, Malaysian, East Asia, and the BEST Pizza place in the world at Steveston Pizza and that’s just to name a few. The scenery that comes along with it is a bonus.

Amateur Traveler June 12, 2012 at 9:41 am

I just spent alot of time in Asia and Richmond does have the best Chinese food on this side of the Pacific. Matt, I agree, Hong Kong Roast Pork is perfection.

Ashley December 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Wonderful post; thanks for sharing all these great tips! My boyfriend found this as he was researching good places to eat in Richmond during our trip to Vancouver next week. We feel better prepared now to take advantage of all the great food there!

Robyn October 25, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I was doing some research on Richmond’s restaurants, trying to find the name of the place I had a great Alaskan King Crab dinner earlier in the year, and I came across your post. I was born and raised in Richmond, and have seen its Asian culinary scene morph from greasy North American-style Chinese (pre 1990s) to what it is now… and it’s truly incredible what it has become. So glad you were able to experience a little bit of what Richmond has to offer. So many short-term visitors end up venturing into Vancouver’s Chinatown, completely unaware that what they’re seeking is actually now found in Richmond. Okay, I’m babbling now.

Your blog post rocks.

I’m also seriously craving xiao long bao now.