Spicy Curry Butternut Squash

by Matt on December 9, 2011

I’m not going to do that apology thing that us bloggers usually do. You know what I mean (because I’ve done it a million times before):

“So sorry I haven’t written/blogged/posted! I’ve been so inundated with work/family/my book/intergalactic atomic particle transportation/etc.” No, I’m not going to say that. I am going to own up to the fact that I haven’t been blogging much and I’m pretty sure this will explain why.

Yea, I’ve been on the road. And there aren’t enough hashtags in the world to explain why. I’m looking forward to being in Los Angeles, happy enough to celebrate the holidays at home. Just as long as my Australian jet lag wears off.

Much more on that later!

Australia, I mean. Not my jetlag.

I came home to Adam testing recipes for one of his favorite clients. When recipes are tested at home, Matt Armendariz gets happy. I get to eat all the things Adam makes and honestly they’re always delicious. Sometimes a bit mixmatchy if he’s testing different things altogether but who’s complaining? Not me. As it turns out, he had leftover butternut squash, a bowl of jalapeños and a few onions. Things got chopped up, tossed with some Spice Islands Curry Powder (the folks at SI are my friends so I’m going to plug them as much as possible!) and salt, then roasted.

And it was such a delightful simple side that I forced asked him to write a recipe for me so we could share it. Because honestly, it’s a very easy simple side that I can imagine will be wonderful with roasted chicken, roasted meat, pork chops, some sausages, just about anything full-flavored enough to pair with the curry sweetness. I think the secret ingredient is roasted jalapeños; they become soft and sweet until the heat kicks in. And it’s delightful.

This is now one of my new favorite things to eat!

Spicy Curry Butternut Squash with Roasted Jalapeños

2 lbs butternut squash cut into 1-inch cubes
4 jalapeños cut in half and seeded
1 large sweet onion cut into 1/8ths
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Spice Islands Spicy Curry Powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

1. Pre-heat oven to 425˚.  Place butternut squash, jalapeños and onion in a large mixing bowl and drizzle them with olive oil,  tossing to coat. Sprinkle curry powder and salt and pepper and toss to coat.

2. Place on baking sheet and roast in oven for 30-45 minutes, until soft and caramelized. stirring halfway through.  Remove from oven and serve hot.

P.S. I posted this on Facebook but wanted to share it here. The perils of photographing at home and not the studio! (by the way, Bindi is our 3 lb dog)

{ 1 trackback }

Roasted Acorn Squash with Ricotta & Honey | MattBites.com
December 24, 2011 at 7:44 am

Judi December 9, 2011 at 8:51 am

Welcome home! You’re living my dream life. Sigh.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 9, 2011 at 9:08 am

The last pic with Bindi…cute :)

And the first pic showing where you’ve been…In my mind I had been loosely keeping track of all your travels via your IG feed pics..and was like…whoa. He’s…everywhere! Hope you get to enjoy some downtime in December. The irony of downtime and December, though.

I linked your book in my gift guide post I just put up b/c I love your book. Just wanted to tell you that :)

la domestique December 9, 2011 at 9:57 am

What a fun combo! Love the spicy + sweet flavors.

kale @ tastes good to me! December 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I heart jalapeños!! Muy rico, thanks!

racerace December 10, 2011 at 3:23 am

I heart jalapeños!! Muy rico, thanks & i like it

Kaitlin December 10, 2011 at 8:20 am

Sounds like an exciting time! I hope you’re thoroughly enjoying your travels :)

This sounds fabulous. I love curry and I love squash, but I never thought of combining them. Noms.

Adam Levy December 10, 2011 at 10:46 am

I went to Australia a couple of years ago, took a good week for the jetlag to wear off so i feel your pain!

Thanks for the recipe, looks great. Got a piece of chicken breast I was wondering what to do with, but I think I may give this a go. Reckon it would work a treat!

david daly December 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Lol. By saying you’re not going to do it you actually did! I’ve never really been a fan of butternut squash but your photos does look tempting…

Nic@diningwithastud December 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Lol cutest food thief ever ;)

MikeVFMK December 12, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Loooks great, Matt. You two have a good thing going on. Love that you can just nosh on all the stuff he makes for styling. Glad you’re back home safe.

Tyler December 13, 2011 at 5:00 am

I would never think of mixing jalapenos with squash, but it looks so good in the pic I guess I have to try it. Thanks!

Linda Wagner - Nutrition to Invigorate Mind, Body and Spirit December 16, 2011 at 12:40 am

Ohh, this is right up my alley! I’ve got a gorgeous butternut squash that I’ve no idea what to do with! I’ll be making this very soon. The roasted jalapenos are already making my mouth water! You know what would go great with this dish?! Some chevre style goat cheese crumbles! Yum!!

michele May 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Made this tonight and it was delicious! I did add some goat cheese like another reader suggested and wow. I am not use to the spice and the hot kick but just great together. I will be making it again. Thank you. Found this on Pinterest and have never left a comment before.