“Street Food”

Regular physical activities, such as walking and jogging, undertaken in my “colorful” neighborhood yield interesting vistas, moments and scenes. Case in point: A jar of Sandwich Spread carrying a double-ply bologna sandwich resting on the sidewalk.  Waiting. And for whom? Why abandon a sandwich? Was a packet of spread or mayo insufficient? I suppose I shall never know. Luckily my iphone is never far.

Yes, “colorful” can mean hood.

Apologies to Best Foods. Or not.

Comments

Very interesting find Matt. Haha!

Watching CSI all those years have made me somewhat of a detective and this photo leads me to believe that a very “new” looking botte was left by the road side could mean that someone was sitting next to it and was preoccupied with some thoughts and abandoned the food in the desire to get something better.

Very funny that you thought of taking a photo.. Thanks for sharing ;) the photo I meant.

2. heather says

OK, this was a very intriguing post! Bizarre! (love the italicized comments following). I would have died laughing if I would have come across that setting! Great find!

Great little discovery and I see random things on my urban streets, too. Like a jar of tomato sauce that’s just sitting there. Guess they couldn’t find the V8? :)

And I happen to love good old fashioned Mayo. Was raised on Hellman’s and I love it, or Miracle Whip, or Vegenasise…I don’t discriminate.

That is hysterical! And now I’m craving a bologna sandwich, but I like my bologna fried — nice and toasted on an open fire. Ahh, that brings back some serious barrio childhood memories ;) Thanks for the chuckle!

Maybe the dude (or dudette) couldn’t open the mayo jar and left it there in the hope that someone would stop and open it up for him (or her).

I think it’s a trap. The second you went for the bologna, a net would’ve come down on your head and who knows what could’ve happened to you. You’re lucky to have escaped alive!

7. ms.licorice says

This happens in my city as well….usually left on the metro bench at a bus stop. The kindness really counts but sometimes the lunch sits there for a few days and what if someone really hungry eats the lunchmeat and gets poisoned? Think pre-pkg…and a note would be nice.

8. ms.licorice says

What an amazing picture. When I saw the title of street food I had visions of the Brooklyn or Portland food scene. And although I love street food, this just is so. much. better. Hilarious. Why leave a sandwich?

10. Sarah R says

I love random finds like this! Priceless. Camera phones are so handy for moments like this when you find something so strange and wonderful and would not normally have a camera on you.

11. Angel Blue says

.. just a thought, the left food may have been from someone who had been trying to care for a homeless person who for whatever reason would not “come in from the cold” I have seen that more than once, and in more ways .. like blankets or coats just left in a particular place…
    homeless people can become the unseen so very quickly.. sounds like this sandwich could have been from the “eyes” of a good heart…

I also think it was probably left for a homeless. But why the HUGE jar of mayo, I wonder? Better to leave the whole bag of bread or the whole package of ham!
    Just a thought…

Very nice deed anyway. And great pic Matt.

Wow. I was amaze as I read this post. But the bread is just too small amount to feed others. I agree with the other comments that he should have leave the whole package of bread. Anyways, he still has a good heart.