“Street Food”

by Matt on January 16, 2012

Regular physical activities, such as walking and jogging, undertaken in my “colorful” neighborhood yield interesting vistas, moments and scenes. Case in point: A jar of Sandwich Spread carrying a double-ply bologna sandwich resting on the sidewalk.  Waiting. And for whom? Why abandon a sandwich? Was a packet of spread or mayo insufficient? I suppose I shall never know. Luckily my iphone is never far.

Yes, “colorful” can mean hood.

Apologies to Best Foods. Or not.

Broderick @ Savory Exposure January 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

CN January 16, 2012 at 4:36 pm

amazing! lol “colorful can mean hood” hahaha.

Neel | Learn Food Photography January 16, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Very interesting find Matt. Haha!

Watching CSI all those years have made me somewhat of a detective and this photo leads me to believe that a very “new” looking botte was left by the road side could mean that someone was sitting next to it and was preoccupied with some thoughts and abandoned the food in the desire to get something better.

Very funny that you thought of taking a photo.. Thanks for sharing ;) the photo I meant.

heather January 16, 2012 at 4:48 pm

OK, this was a very intriguing post! Bizarre! (love the italicized comments following). I would have died laughing if I would have come across that setting! Great find!

April January 16, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Great find! I’m compelled to find out the mystery of the abandoned half-made sandwich!

Todd January 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm

haha very nice. good snag.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 16, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Great little discovery and I see random things on my urban streets, too. Like a jar of tomato sauce that’s just sitting there. Guess they couldn’t find the V8? :)

And I happen to love good old fashioned Mayo. Was raised on Hellman’s and I love it, or Miracle Whip, or Vegenasise…I don’t discriminate.

Nan W. January 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Obviously…. the sandwich maker left for a moment to go get a knife!

Jess (Where My Heart Is) January 16, 2012 at 11:26 pm

The mind boggles :)

Tres Amie January 17, 2012 at 12:17 am

It looks like a Foodie trap! You were lucky to escape with your knife…. erm… life :)

diş sağlığı January 17, 2012 at 2:22 am

Now I’m hungry :) and your post is very good :)

Steve-Anna January 17, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Wow. That’s a stumper!

I agree with Nan. Good plan, but no knife. Trouble with execution.

Sherice at ConfectionistConfessions.com January 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I’m pretty sure they are in search of some cheese…one of those individually wrapped singles is all that’s missing! :)

Yvette ~ Muy Bueno Cookbook January 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm

That is hysterical! And now I’m craving a bologna sandwich, but I like my bologna fried — nice and toasted on an open fire. Ahh, that brings back some serious barrio childhood memories ;) Thanks for the chuckle!

Susan Linnet Cox January 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm

This is fabulous! I am so glad you had your camera/iphone with you. Too good to pass by without documentation.

bobofeed January 17, 2012 at 8:44 pm

…Stepped out to get some baby arugula.

kale @ tastes good to me! January 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Quite the ad for Best Foods! Could it be some extravagant plot by the company to appear on your website? …Nah, probably just a super random and hilarious oddity. Thank goodness for camera phones!

Row January 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Maybe the dude (or dudette) couldn’t open the mayo jar and left it there in the hope that someone would stop and open it up for him (or her).

Sarah January 18, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I think it’s a trap. The second you went for the bologna, a net would’ve come down on your head and who knows what could’ve happened to you. You’re lucky to have escaped alive!

Angelica January 19, 2012 at 10:01 am

Bologna Street Blues

Cookinggeek January 20, 2012 at 9:43 am

It will be a great finding for someone’s dog:)

Jen Laceda January 21, 2012 at 5:47 am

I’m thinking…I should switch to iPhone! LOL! My blackberry cannot capture such a poetic moment!

ms.licorice January 21, 2012 at 10:44 pm

This happens in my city as well….usually left on the metro bench at a bus stop. The kindness really counts but sometimes the lunch sits there for a few days and what if someone really hungry eats the lunchmeat and gets poisoned? Think pre-pkg…and a note would be nice.

ms.licorice January 21, 2012 at 10:44 pm

David January 22, 2012 at 9:27 am

I was watching you. I saw you take a bite after you took this picture.

Tasha @Tashasdish January 22, 2012 at 5:54 pm

What an amazing picture. When I saw the title of street food I had visions of the Brooklyn or Portland food scene. And although I love street food, this just is so. much. better. Hilarious. Why leave a sandwich?

Sarah R January 23, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love random finds like this! Priceless. Camera phones are so handy for moments like this when you find something so strange and wonderful and would not normally have a camera on you.

sonya January 23, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Yup, that’s one mysterious-looking bologna sandwich alright. Photograph is beautiful!

Angel Blue January 27, 2012 at 4:42 pm

.. just a thought, the left food may have been from someone who had been trying to care for a homeless person who for whatever reason would not “come in from the cold” I have seen that more than once, and in more ways .. like blankets or coats just left in a particular place…
homeless people can become the unseen so very quickly.. sounds like this sandwich could have been from the “eyes” of a good heart…

Peruvian recipes February 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I also think it was probably left for a homeless. But why the HUGE jar of mayo, I wonder? Better to leave the whole bag of bread or the whole package of ham!
Just a thought…

Very nice deed anyway. And great pic Matt.

CorieAitken February 19, 2012 at 7:23 am

Wow. I was amaze as I read this post. But the bread is just too small amount to feed others. I agree with the other comments that he should have leave the whole package of bread. Anyways, he still has a good heart.

shelley March 15, 2013 at 5:59 pm

i like the arugula theory.
alternatively, guerilla advertising? in which case, you fell for it SUCKA!