Halifax, Nova Scotia

So what can I say about my first day in Halifax? It’s nice. And before you say “Nice? That’s all?” I want to back up and say that I mean it in the strongest sense of the word, not in a “well I don’t have anything else to say so nice is a good harmless word” way.

I’m guilty of overusing the word, rendering it pretty bland. That’s not how I mean to use it here.

When I say nice I mean this: friendly, courteous, polite, jovial, approachable, wonderful, beautiful. Nice. From top to bottom. And it’s a place where one can feel at ease, walk around, take in stunning views and meet gracious residents along the way. It’s a contrast to the hurried urban scenes I usually explore.

And it’s also delicious.

In my first day I’ve sampled fantastic coffee, amazing pastry, deliciously local ingredients, and even a glass (or two) of wine from the area. I plan on full reports shortly, but I’m thrilled to be exploring Halifax like a local, taking in all the sites and sounds of this very special place. I’m so happy to be here.

Oh Canada, I love you!

More soon!

Comments

Matt..If you are falling in love with Halifax in early summer and of course you would, it is wonderful, come to Prince Edward Island in September for our early fall month long culinary festival “Fall Flavors” I am assured you will find it very ‘nice’ !!

2. Taylor Redmond says

This is not something I like to share but I feel the secret is out and it is already too late for my special place to stay mine.
    The Wild Caraway Restaurant in Advocate Harbour is a stop you should try to fit in. Sure it is 2.5 hours from Halifax but worth every bump in the road.
    Believe me, you will experience impressive scenery on route, awesome welcome as you come through the door and for sure, you will be dazzled by what ever dish chef Andrew is dishing that day.

Matt, so many places to eat!! If you don’t mind me suggesting these places (in no order of importance):

Chez Tess (Halifax’s only creperie)
    5687 Charles Street
    902-406-3133

Two If By Sea Cafe (amazing cappuccinos & larger-than-life-croissants!)
    2 locations – Historic Properties in Halifax & Octerloney in Dartmouth

Seasons by Atlantica (Chef Luis Clavell & team)
    Atlantica Hotel Halifax
    1980 ROBIE ST AT QUINPOOL

Chives Canadian Bistro (Chef Craig Flinn)
    1537 Barrington Street
    Halifax
    902-420-9626

Saege Bistro
    5883 Spring Garden Road, Halifax
    902-429-1882

Best lobster roll (Martime style) – you have to eat at 44 North restaurant at the Marriott Harbourside. Enjoy the lobster roll outside if it’s nice and watch the boats in the harbour.

Anyway, there’s loads more but I’m sure you have an agenda.

Cheers,
    Heather

4. Laura P says

Try to hit the Smiling Goat on South Park St by the Lord Nelson Hotel. They make a mean cup of coffee and the iced mochas are to die for.

Fid is amazing as I am sure you’ve discovered and I also fully recommend Morris East on Morris St for great wood fired pizza.

Halifax is an awesome city – lived there for eight years and I definitely miss it!

5. Mila says

You do such a great travelog wherever you go, Matt! I loved the chance to visit Halifax long ago and the food was to die for! P.S. Thanks for making our Canadian hearts glow with pride ;)

6. Maureen says

Welcome to Halifax, we are glad to have you here! There are so many great places to eat here that I don’t even know where to begin with recommendations. There have been some other great suggestions in the comments, and I’m sure you will find lots of deliciousness during your visit.

Will you be visiting other parts of the province as well?

Whet Cafe in the North End on Agricola Street – a must visit. It’s in a building that used to be a bank and owners Fred Connors (he’s running for mayor) and his partner, Joel Flemming, renovated the building where it now is home to Fred. (a combo of hair salon, art gallery & cafe). The cafe serves locally sourced food and is worth the visit. :)

8. JB says

If you have a chance, pick up a round of Dragon’s Breath (blue cheese) at That Dutchman’s stand at the Seaport Market (or a marked-up version at Pete’s Frootique).