Honeyed Apple–Peanut Butter Tart

9781118095126_p0_v1_s260x420Many projects I work on have a moratorium on sharing. Sometimes by me, other times by the publisher or editor who usually lets me know when I can start blabbing about it. Sometimes the lead times are long (a year or two in advance!), other times I just have to wait a month or two until whatever I photographed has hit the streets.

Of course, most of the time it’s ok to share a little bit via instagram and facebook, but I usually err on the side of caution and keep my mouth shut.

Which is painful when there are great recipes I want to talk about.

Like this one.

Apple-Peanut-Butter-Tart-Overhead-550px

Oh my goodness, this one.

I am a peanut butter freak, and combined with an apple or banana it’s my standard sweet snack. I knew I’d love this recipe from Jenny Flake’s The Picky Palate Cookbook when we were reviewing the recipe list, and when Adam and his team began to assemble it I knew that the shape would photograph beautifully, and I knew that the shape would also fit in my stomach perfectly.

I think I ate the whole damn thing.

Jenny says it’s easy to make, which it is. The hard part was waiting for quite some time to share this recipe, and now that it’s out Apple-Peanut-Butter-Tart-Cutyou really should try it. And the book, too. I’ve given a few copies to friends, not only to show them what we’ve been up to but also to encourage them to get into the kitchen and make stuff. Mainly this. And then to call me and invite me over so I can enjoy my favorite flavor combination via the ever-so-delightful Jenny Flake.

Honeyed Apple–Peanut Butter Tart

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, room temperature
½ cup creamy peanut butter
6 tablespoons honey, warmed, divided
2 apples of choice, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ cup powdered sugar, for dusting

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.

2. Cut the puff pastry into 3 equal-size rectangles and place on the prepared baking sheet. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the peanut butter in the microwave until liquid-like, about 30 seconds. Add 2 tablespoons of the honey and stir to combine, then spread evenly over the 3 pastry rectangles, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges.

3. Layer the apple slices neatly over the peanut butter. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat 2 tablespoons of the remaining honey in the microwave for 15 seconds, until liquid-like. Drizzle over the apples, sprinkle with the sugar, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the pastry is lightly browned and puffed around the edges. Let cool completely, then drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons honey. Dust with the powdered sugar. Serve as whole tarts or cut each tart into fourths.

Recipe reprinted by permission, The Picky Palate Cookbook by Jenny Flake (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), 2012. Photograph by yours truly.

Comments

every time I have apple slices with peanut butter, I say that it “tastes like kindergarten”.

so this beautiful tart? is like super fancy kindergarten memories, right? children of chefs have this as their food memory ;)

sounds fantastic!

I just grated carrots to make a carrot cake sort of like Jenny’s in her book! And I keep staring at the picture wondering if you guys ate that cake as SOON as the pics were done, or what!

This tart looks delish, and nice and easy. The best kind of recipes :)

Ummm… Are you just my new favourite person ever!!!
    For years my hubby has laughed at me for loving toast with
    peanut butter, sliced banana and Manuka honey :)
    But I am what I am ;)

Donna x

I enjoyed your interview with David Labovitz. I have been reading about you a lot and seeing your photography every where. I LOVE it! Going to explore your blog. The last time I saw your blog was two years ago…

I love how puff pastry is awesome no matter what extreme you take it to. From looking for the maximum puffed height on a pie top to using it as a bed for these awesome apples where a high puff isn’t needed. Works both ways and this dessert looks so damn good.

6. Carole says

I am going to make this using Biscoff, which is basically cookie butter, and is fantastic with apples.

I would’ve been right there with you, gobbling this down! Your pictures are beautiful and your book is on the top of my “want right now” list so I can channel your photography onto my own :)
    Just love all your work!

Hi Matt, this looks easy and delicious. Thanks for sharing. PS Your book: “Focus on Food Photography for Bloggers” has been such a huge help to me. I’m very new to the food blogging world and, though I’m an artist and have had some experience behind the lens of a camera, photographing food presents a whole new challenge – bigger than I ever expected. So Thanks!

Trackbacks

1. [...] you like peanut butter, I highly recommend this Honeyed Apple-Peanut Butter Tart. I can’t remember the last time I used puff pastry – maybe never. But I am seeing all [...]