Carrot & Sunchoke Salad with Buttermilk Dressing

Carrot & Sunchoke Salad

I’m perhaps one of the most happy-go-lucky kind of guys when it comes to food. I eat everything, enjoy a wide variety of foods, and can find something to eat just about anywhere I am. This ease disappears when I talk about pizza and my world view becomes nothing short of black and white. But only with pizza. Stay with me here.

I will eat the fanciest of hamburgers. I will eat the trashiest of hamburgers. In this case, I like the high brow and I can get down with the low brow, too. But pizzas? Forget it. I’ve spent half of my life consuming gummy, bready, greasy, gross pizza and I just won’t do it anymore. In fact, I haven’t in twenty years or so. Because once you taste a Neapolitan-style pizza (my personal benchmark) it’s hard to go backwards. There’s a balance of ingredients, a simplicity in its construction, and to me it gets no better.

My apologies to my Chicago deep-dish pizza loving’ friends. I’m really mean that.

Anyway, when I tend to find my idea of pizza perfection I will visit regularly. It could be a bakery in Rome, a take-away window in NYC, or in this case my local pizza place in Long Beach called Michael’s Pizzeria. I’ve written about it before, and it’s one of my standard go-to places here in town. And for the longest time I refused to veer from their margherita pizza.

But one day a salad on the menu caught my eye, and now it seems to be the only thing I want to eat (in addition to my pizza). Picture this: winter root vegetables, pancetta, roasted pumpkin seeds and herb buttermilk dressing. It’s clean, flavorful, crunchy,  with a fantastic balance between the sweet & earthy and the tangy and salty.

Salad Collage

My attempts to recreate this salad at home (I’m sure they’re sick of me at the restaurant) were met with delicious success. And honestly, it couldn’t be easier to do, because if you can boil water then you’ve got it made. And while it’s based on winter root vegetables like parsnips and carrots, you could use just about anything, really. In my case they were gorgeous carrots from the farmers market, sunchokes sliced thin with a mandolin, purple shaved brussels sprouts and a delicious tangy, flavorful buttermilk dressing with fresh oregano, garlic and onions. Oh, and a tiny bit of lemon juice, too.

buttermilk-dressing

There are no exact measurements, and there’s no cooking as the ingredients are raw, excluding a super quick blanch of the carrots. But you wouldn’t have to if you didn’t want to. This salad is a fantastic snack or a simple start to an easy supper, and goes great with thin, restrained, quick pizzas. ahem.

Carrot & Sunshoke Salad With Herb Buttermilk Dressing
based on Michael’s PIzzeria’s Insalata Invernale.

Baby carrots, whole
A few sunchokes, sliced super thin
Brussels sprouts, sliced super thin
Pumpkin seeds, optional

Buttermilk Dressing
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh oregano
1 small clove of garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped onion
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Rinse and scrub clean the sunchokes, then slice paper thin. I used a mandolin for uniformity. Slice the brussels sprouts as well, but it’s ok if the outer leaves fall off as you’ll want to use those as well. Quickly blanch the carrots by placing them in boiling water for a minute or two. Don’t overcook them as you want them to remain crunchy. Once cooked, add the carrots, sunchoke and brussels sprouts slices to a large bowl.

For the dressing: combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender and process until fully incorporated. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables with the buttermilk dressing, a little bit at a time to make sure they’re covered evenly, but hey, don’t go overboard and make this a big old gloppy, swimming mess, ok?

Comments

Sunchokes, brussles, sunflower seeds…all drenched in homemade buttermilk sounds amazing. And I know you’ve mentioned Michael’s before – it must be THAT good. I love the bowl you used in this post, too!

This sounds delicious, and I’m heading to my farmer’s market to find sunchokes. But tell me about the serving bowl — it’s beautiful!

Sounds like a delicious salad to try out before winter is out. I am in need of some lighter dishes right now.
    The colours scream winter but the brightness of the carrot tips remind me that spring isn’t too far away (fingers crossed).

Matt, how do you keep the sunchokes from browning? Ours start browning immediately and so fast that we can’t even shoot photos of them without bathing them first in acidulated water.

5. Matt says

Hi Chef! They browned a bit as they sat after rinsing and scrubbing and I thought I’d have to move quickly before the slices darkened. However, they stayed bright white for a bit without turning, not sure why. After tossing I think the acid in the dressing slowed it down as well.

Hi Matt,

Lovely photos. I have found you via David Lebovitz. I have been trying really hard to imporove the photography on my blog- will definitely be buying your book!

Thanks

Erin

Hi Matt,

Lovely photos. I have found you via David Lebovitz. I have been trying really hard to improve the photography on my blog- will definitely be buying your book!

Thanks

Erin

Before I even read a word of this blog post, I was inspired by the picture! It is so warm and inviting–and that’s not something that can usually be said about a salad! I can’t wait for my next farmer’s market outing, so I can find ingredients that are inspiringly simple as this!

After I stopped drooling over the picture, I did end up reading the blog post too :)

Fabulous photographs Matt, never mind the taste!

I have started a small scale publishing company http://www.cookeryclassics.com in order to bring long neglected cookery books back to life as updated editions for iPad.

These are the sort of books that Beryl Patmore from Downton Abbey would have had on her kitchen bookshelf and I would really appreciate your opinion on the three books that we have completed so far. Samples are available to download at iBooks as follows:

I have also started the Cookery Heritage blog to which I hope your readers will contribute. http://www.cookeryheritage.com

Trackbacks