Food Network’s One Pot Wonders

by Matt on February 18, 2013

One-Pot-Blog-Image-#1

We recently finished a wonderful project with our friends at Food Network. Titled One Pot Wonders, it’s being billed as part of a series of little cookbooks with big ideas, all focused on that tasty main dish made in a wok, a slow cooker or a dutch oven. And yes, these recipes are so hearty and filling that you won’t need to think of side dishes…trust me on this. And in usual Food Network fashion, the recipes run the gamut from hearty to quick, traditional to creative, with just about something for everyone in between on the digital pages.

One-Pot-Blog-Image-#3

So, what does shooting an app like this involve? Planning. Lots and lots of planning. It’s a well-choreographed affair between the test kitchen, the designers and interface experts and the team that photographs the food (which is us). It’s exact, specific, and immediate, which is something we don’t always get to see. Hundreds of images may be snapped, pages fly around with the glide of a finger, typography is tweaked, resulting in a beautiful digital cookbook. I must say having the entire series at my fingertips is one of the advantages of digital publishing.

One-Pot-Blog-Image-#2 There’s lots of laughter and fun on the shoot, especially when you mix the colorful variety of personalities together. And don’t even get me started on the inside jokes. But we take it seriously, and while it’s not easy work it’s certainly gratifying when you sit back and enjoy the app. It’s even better when you take it into the kitchen with you to cook!

Food Network's Mory Thomas and Adam Pearson discuss something super important. Food Network’s Mory Thomas and Adam Pearson discuss something super important. armando looking Armando Moutela, my assistant and an amazing photographer himself, comes in from NYC to assist on key jobs. I couldn’t do it without him. Here he reviews the shot wall. Images are printed out and arranged on the wall so that we can see the flow and look of each chapter. Images are printed out and arranged on the wall so that we can see the flow and look of each chapter.

Big giant hugs n kisses to the entire FN team and to Adam, Alexis, Hristina, Eddie, Armando, and Dani. So awesome you are.

Averie @ Averie Cooks February 18, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Thank you for sharing the behind the scenes shots, thoughts, and candid pics of everything. Wow…it sounds fast and furious, and highly rewarding. And most of all, like it was a FUN shoot and fun project to work on! And congrats of course – just so fabulous, Matt (and Adam!)

Stick E Rice February 18, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Wow, that white bean Chili looks delicious. Like…wow, seriously delicious. A wonder, indeed.

Lindsey (Lou Lou Biscuit) February 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

These photographs are stunning! I have been experimenting with different chili recipes and the white bean and turkey chilis look phenomenal. I can’t wait to check this little cookbook out!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 19, 2013 at 1:59 am

Was this the time when we couldn’t meet due to your shoot with FN? Thanks for sharing the “behind-the-scenes” with us :)

Kris February 19, 2013 at 3:55 am

Looks like a fun project! And even more so, look like delicious recipes! I am always looking for something exactly like this… something that will take the stress out of cooking!

Silver Magpies February 19, 2013 at 10:22 am

How fascinating to see the behind the scenes making of an app. It’s always enlightening to see just how much effort goes into what is shwn in the frame!

Has the app been released yet?

- Nan

Silver Magpies February 19, 2013 at 10:23 am

Just answered my own question and found it in the App Store. Mouthwatering!

- Nan

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious February 19, 2013 at 11:17 am

I love seeing this job as you do and I love the cleanliness that photography regularly portrays. I bet there is a messy factor in the mix somewhere :) Gahh if I could choose my career again…

Yvette ~ Muy Bueno February 19, 2013 at 8:58 pm

It looks fabulous! Of course the photography is drop dead gorgeous ;) Congrats on the completion of this exciting project. Well done amigo!!!

Patrick February 20, 2013 at 10:45 am

This needs to be an app for my iphone! Maybe add a crowd-sourced flavor where people cam submit one-pot wonders to be added to a user index that is separate from the chef-curated recipes. I’ve got big things planned for this man, big things :)

kristina February 21, 2013 at 1:40 pm

why we only get to see armando from behind?

Naomi February 26, 2013 at 8:09 pm

What a great idea! I don’t even have a smartphone (I am probably one of the last digital holdouts…lol), but it is apps like this that make me realize what I am missing.

I really enjoyed this article and getting a peek at what goes on behind the scenes at my favorite t.v. channel.

Triptease February 28, 2013 at 8:20 am

Congrats! Photos as beautiful as ever and recipes look scrumptious!

Bakerella March 12, 2013 at 6:55 pm

That’s fantastic! Looks awesome guys!

Habib Web Technology March 22, 2013 at 12:48 am

Awesome guys! keep posting – KIU

Bill Beaman April 15, 2013 at 1:06 am

Amazing stuff guys! Keep it rockin!

Manju @ Manju'sEatingDelights April 19, 2013 at 9:44 am

What a lovely post…I love the way you write and ofcourse pics are alwasy fabulous. So interesting to know the behind-the-screen acts at FN…I love FN!